Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was in contact with a local turbocharger and intake silicone coupler supply company. My intent is to get a coupler made that would go from an unmodified hellcat air lid to the throttle body, acting as both a smooth tube and an adapter. Traditionally to install the larger airbox lid which also has the benefit of being smooth inside, you have to cut it down and stretch the factory bellow over the opening. This would make it a bolt on affair and take away any turbulence caused by the factory bellow.

Now the intent would be to use the IAT provision on the hellcat box, and just to bridge the short 4" run with a smooth tube and 2 high quality clamps. Otherwise this should look and function like stock. The company said if there is enough interest they can make it, however their minimum run is 30 parts which would necessitate a group buy to make it make sense. Any interest?
Auto part Fuel line Tire Engine Automotive tire
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Engine

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 5.7 and the 6.4 have the same throttle body so it would work on either. The only guys assed out on this one are the V-6 cars. Sorry V-6 guys :(

Also, the 5.7 and 6.4 throttles have the same external diameter for all years, so this would not be generation dependent. If the challenger guys have the same bellows distance between the airbox and the throttle, it would be an option for them as well.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,515 Posts
no the 5.7l is a lot longer. look at my avatar but one in RED would be awesome on my car.

·
Banned
429 Posts
I recently was in contact with a local turbocharger and intake silicone coupler supply company. My intent is to get a coupler made that would go from an unmodified hellcat air lid to the throttle body, acting as both a smooth tube and an adapter. Traditionally to install the larger airbox lid which also has the benefit of being smooth inside, you have to cut it down and stretch the factory bellow over the opening. This would make it a bolt on affair and take away any turbulence caused by the factory bellow.

Now the intent would be to use the IAT provision on the hellcat box, and just to bridge the short 4" run with a smooth tube and 2 high quality clamps. Otherwise this should look and function like stock. The company said if there is enough interest they can make it, however their minimum run is 30 parts which would necessitate a group buy to make it make sense. Any interest?
I have seen it done with a 22 or 30 degree coupler reducer from 4.5 to 3.5 inches, you cut it to how long you need it I can give you the websites if you want to take a look at it. I just did this mod and I made a post, the stock air duct/bellow fits fine over the hellcat lid and throttle body no need to cut or stretch it . I ended up purchasing a lid from the 2018 Hellcat as you can cut that lid as long as the stock Scat Pack, I think that the easiest way and it looks stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen it done with a 22 or 30 degree coupler reducer from 4.5 to 3.5 inches, you cut it to how long you need it I can give you the websites if you want to take a look at it. I just did this mod and I made a post, the stock air duct/bellow fits fine over the hellcat lid and throttle body no need to cut or stretch it . I ended up purchasing a lid from the 2018 Hellcat as you can cut that lid as long as the stock Scat Pack, I think that the easiest way and it looks stock

If you have the link to one of the sites selling a coupler which would work, I would very much appreciate it sir!

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A quick measurement of the factory bellows shows a 30* angle with a super scientific high school quality protractor :ROFLMAO:

·
Banned
429 Posts
A quick measurement of the factory bellows shows a 30* angle with a super scientific high school quality protractor :ROFLMAO:
That’s what I used lol my kids protractor, let me go thru my search history. They are called “bending reducers” used in turbo cars, I searched for days and I found only one company that makes a bending reducer at 30 degree angle from 3.5 to 4.5. But since it’s so short you can make a 45 or 22 degree work according to my mock ups but 30 will be the best. I had the same idea like you, but I just decided not to go that route, so I am curious if it will work if you want to experiment with it. I felt that I didn’t need to spend extra money and monkey with a reducer and I was not sure if moving the MAP sensor farther away, a little more than 1 inch, from the throttle body into the IAT opening of the Hellcat lid and which has much bigger opening, would mess with the MAP sensor. I figure I could just cut the Hellcat lid the same length than my stock lid and using my stock air duct/bellow would be a lot safer.

Let me find the link as we had the same thought and I am curious it it will work.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s what I used lol my kids protractor, let me go thru my search history. They are called “bending reducers” used in turbo cars, I searched for days and I found only one company that makes a bending reducer at 30 degree angle from 3.5 to 4.5. But since it’s so short you can make a 45 or 22 degree work according to my mock ups but 30 will be the best. I had the same idea like you, but I just decided not to go that route, so I am curious if it will work if you want to experiment with it. I felt that I didn’t need to spend extra money and monkey with a reducer and I was not sure if moving the MAP sensor farther away, a little more than 1 inch, from the throttle body into the IAT opening of the Hellcat lid and which has much bigger opening, would mess with the MAP sensor. I figure I could just cut the Hellcat lid the same length than my stock lid and using my stock air duct/bellow would be a lot safer.

Let me find the link as we had the same thought and I am curious it it will work.

This is the closest one I was able to find, I was kind of thinking with some creative trimming it may work...

4.5" to 3.5" 45* bending reducer

·
Banned
429 Posts
This is the closest one I was able to find, I was kind of thinking with some creative trimming it may work...

Do a mock up like a did, I saved the picture and I enlarged to true size or as close as you can. Cut it out and then place it in between the throttle body and lid. It will give you much better idea, I did the 45 degree angle and it worked I just had to cut the throttle body side at a small slight angle but it works since it’s so short. I think that’s the better way to go, I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying into the group but i would hate to get a group just to find it out moving the MAP sensor further away and considering where the sensor plugs the diameter of air duct is about 1 in smaller compared to air lid, I don’t if that larger diameter might throw it off. I think if you do this first and if there is no issues I think people will be more confident, I just didn’t want to deal with that

But here is what I did check the link but I will look again for the 30 degree again and see if I can find it

·
Banned
429 Posts

I printed this pic out for the mock up and I used the table measurements to see how much I would have to cut from each side and the 45 degree was the second best due to the fact that you have to cut at a small angle the throttle body side other than it, it works according to my math and mock up. I was too chicken not move the MAP sensor when I had a for sure solution as you can see on my link. I am just curious know lol
Text Diagram Line Slope Design

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do a mock up like a did, I saved the picture and I enlarged to true size or as close as you can. Cut it out and then place it in between the throttle body and lid. It will give you much better idea, I did the 45 degree angle and it worked I just had to cut the throttle body side at a small slight angle but it works since it’s so short. I think that’s the better way to go, I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying into the group but i would hate to get a group just to find it out moving the MAP sensor further away and considering where the sensor plugs the diameter of air duct is about 1 in smaller compared to air lid, I don’t if that larger diameter might throw it off. I think if you do this first and if there is no issues I think people will be more confident, I just didn’t want to deal with that

But here is what I did check the link but I will look again for the 30 degree again and see if I can find it

Again, much appreciated as I can't find a 30 degree reducer anywhere and the goal is eliminate the stock bellows to hopefully further smooth out the airflow.

The sensor in question actually measures intake air temperature so moving it an inch or 2 forward in the stream should not change anything from a tune standpoint, and the silicone connector should even serve to reject some extra heat as well. The MAP sensor is placed in the manifold behind the throttle as it detects manifold vacuum, or the drop in vacuum based upon throttle opening characteristics.

These 392 engines being speed density do not have a MAF sensor on them unlike some of the early hellcat models. The goal of this whole thing is to provide as much smooth breathing capability and still look stock prior to some other mods I have in mind down the road. 1st of which being a fastman 88mm "stock" throttle body and manifold porting. Once that is done a set of carb legal shorty headers is next and eventually a 426 forged aluminum short block.

Just thinking long term here...

·
Banned
429 Posts
Again, much appreciated as I can't find a 30 degree reducer anywhere and the goal is eliminate the stock bellows to hopefully further smooth out the airflow.

The sensor in question actually measures intake air temperature so moving it an inch or 2 forward in the stream should not change anything from a tune standpoint, and the silicone connector should even serve to reject some extra heat as well. The MAP sensor is placed in the manifold behind the throttle as it detects manifold vacuum, or the drop in vacuum based upon throttle opening characteristics.

These 392 engines being speed density do not have a MAF sensor on them unlike some of the early hellcat models. The goal of this whole thing is to provide as much smooth breathing capability and still look stock prior to some other mods I have in mind down the road. 1st of which being a fastman 88mm "stock" throttle body and manifold porting. Once that is done a set of carb legal shorty headers is next and eventually a 426 forged aluminum short block.

If it works for you and you can confirm no issues then I will buy the after market coupler and cut it myself as I know that it will fit, but I rather you be the mad scientist first lol

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my way to being a mad scientist then... Off to order a 45* coupler and trim to shape lol

·
Banned
429 Posts

But then again how much more smooth air flow can you get, I mean the the stock bellow is reducing as well from 4.5 to 3.5 and it will have a similar angle, I don’t for see changing the sensor will improve that the air flow and is all that work worth it for a very small air flow improvement if there is any. Just food for thought, I had all those same thoughts as I went thru this mod as well. Let me know if you do it and let me know if you noticed a difference. I am very curious regardless. I am just waiting for my warranty to finish to add a ported TB and Manifold with a tune. As far Shorty Headers for CA legal it seems there are not a lot of options so I am hoping by then I will have more options by then.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The JBA shorties are Ca legal and offer larger primary tubes. The gains over the stock manifolds are not huge, certainly not the same as long tubes and no/high-flow cats, but every little bit helps. My warranty was gone when I bought mine so no worries there for me. As far as smooth tubes, if you see what they will do on a viper just connecting the airbox to the throttles, that tells me there is something to getting rid of the turbulence caused by the factory rubber pieces.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,607 Posts
Subscribing for the science experiment. :D Can you Please post up how it turns out.

Did the company that you asked about the silicone couplers give you a price if you could get 30 buyers?

·
Banned
429 Posts
Viper smooth tube dyno test

This is the article I was thinking of. Looks like 6hp and 12ft/lbs on the viper just by swapping the bellows for silicone couplers, that is some cheap gains right there.
A viper is a whole different animal but we will never know until someone does it i was just not willing to experiment, if it works for you then I can use my Dremel tool to cut a nice smooth cut on that silicone, please keep me posted don’t forget I gave you directions for that “bended reducer” lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts