Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For about the same money, would you rather increase the performance of a stock SRT 6.4 liter by:

A) Installing a supercharger with 6 psi boost.

or

b) Installing a CAI, with ported head & cam package, long tube headers, and high-flow cats?

This thread was inspired by this Arrington upgrade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
B

I'd go with b, and my reasoning behind that is that I really just don't like the sound of a supercharger. For some reason a high pitch whine or whistle just sounds wrong to me.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
I'd go with "B" because my thinking is I would like to have as much of the stock motor "tuned and built" before adding any power adders. I'd also, before super charging, have to look seriously at doing it right by having the ENTIRE rotating assembly forged.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
A. Magnuson or Edelbrock

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
A.

After doing all the B options I still ended up getting the SC. Now tuning is a bit more difficult because my motor is no longer stock. If I was still stock it would be just tweak Edelbrocks tune a little and be done. But no it is datalogging and trips to the dyno for this guy.

Ultimately. Save money and do A&B together in one build with complimenting parts.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I would do the cam mod with bolt ons but I love the instant response and feeling the car tremble. I think it depends on what you intend to use the car for, if it's a daily driver, and if mpg is a concern.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would do the cam mod with bolt ons but I love the instant response and feeling the car tremble. I think it depends on what you intend to use the car for, if it's a daily driver, and if mpg is a concern.
Good questions.

Not planning to race, this is just for tooling around town. Not even a daily driver, just a weekend toy really.

Not worried about fuel economy, which was a decision I made when paying the $1000 gas-guzzle tax LOL.

Guess I wanna be even more impressed with my car, and have something that is better than the average stock SRT. I love the feeling of torque and pulling power (at any and every speed).

I'd like it if the car sounded more impressive, since it has a stock exhaust. I guess headers and a cat-back would do that in spades, but maybe the supercharger has it's own impressive sound? I've never heard one in real.

This is a 6-speed, so I wish the engine revs would come down when lifting off the accelerator, as it is, the engine revs just sail along, which sucks.

I definitely want the car to idle smoothly, and for the acceleration from standing still to be smooth. That is, I don't want a car so hyped that it falters and then screams away (if this makes sense). Meaning, it should have parking lot speed manners.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Supercharger

1. Because they just bolt it on.
2. Because it will cause less tuning issues
3. The car will get better mileage
4. Even 6 psi boost will gain much more power than a Cam
5. There could be loss of low end torque with a cam
6. The mileage (not too big of a concern--but it's still money) with cam could decrease.
7. Easier to return to stock
8. I could add drop in pistons and change pulleys for even more power later

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
I'd go with A. Just my thought though.

I'd love to have a cam, forged internals, higher hp rated axles and driveshaft put in mine but the S/C is just something that does it for me.

·
Vendor
12,394 Posts
I'd say Edelbrock, unless magnason gets there kit where you're not having to jerry rig some of the parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
jerry rig very little, superior looking to the e
no question there

all hot rodding requires outside the box thinking

Luke

·
Vendor
12,394 Posts
the other thing is instant superhero status, no one can see a cam or headers for that matter on a Challenger, but no mistaken a blower sitting on top

Luke

·
Registered
675 Posts
Supercharger. No "open heart surgery". No replacement of viable existing parts. 100+ HP
on demand, just rides along during regular driving. No need to change any exhaust components.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everybody for the great input. [beer-clink].

I'm convinced that the supercharger is the better choice fo me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thank you everybody for the great input. [beer-clink].

I'm convinced that the supercharger is the better choice for me.
I went through this exact same debate, I talked to so many different people engine builders, tuners, local experts and called Arrington (Alex).

I decided for the Arrington 8lbs setup for a pretty much stock 14 SRT8 Core 6MT. The deciding factor was if i did the heads and cam, i was going to do forged and headers also, which will come at some point but I only have 3000 miles on mine, so a full rebuild wasn't needed at this point. This would of equaled the cost of the Supercharger.

I plan to keep my car as a DD plan for about 15k miles a year, a few track day here and there. I feel I made the right choice.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I put a Magnusson on my former Chev truck and f*ck yay would I do it again. It really woke it up in a big way. I can't imagine it on a 392! My 5.3L was 285hp PRIOR.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts