Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST got off the phone with a very polite young lady at Chryslers' 800 number. The one on the web site. I told her my frustration with not only the (in my mind) long wait time for my IE, but the total lack of customer service, or care, on Chryslers' part, due to non-sold 2011 IE's and SRT's showing up on dealers lots. She asked me for my order number, then VIN. After getting the VIN, she told me the car had a shipping date of 12/23/2010. AND THAT IS ALL SHE COULD TELL ME! I explained that date had long since past, and certainly she or someone at the number CHRYSLER POSTS ON THEIR WEBSITE could tell me where my car is, and give me a true arrival date here, at least within a couple of days. She said "no, that is all the info they have". And this is Chrysler's customer service number! There was no one there that could give me any more info. I told her I realized it wasn't her fault, but I had to hear from a person with true answers by the end of the month, or Chrysler is going to lose a very, very good customer. And once I leave, I won't be coming back. She said she will have someone contact me either tonight, or Monday at the latest.

We will see, but I have my doubts.

I wouldn't be so pissed off normally, but there is no way unsold orders (for the same damn vehicle) should be built before deposited sold orders.

Rob

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
yep had the same problem in 08 for my 09 it was on the rails in december got it in february. its worth the wait!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
They usually contact you a couple of days after you call or email them. Let them know how ****y their coustomer service was. I don't think they care but it will make you feel better for the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
In the grand scheme of things does it really make that much difference? It's built right? So what if a dealer got one before you? Do you have anything to prove that you ordered your's before they did? When it's all said and done Chrysler is running a business and buyers backout of "sold" cars all the time. The dealerships are gonna pay for they cars period.

$.02

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I think they batch them together maybe by region or options as the orders come in. Dealer orders and customer orders are treated the same unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i havent seen any evidence they batch them in any logical way....not by color, transmission, or nav....every region seems to be getting them now....they even are building regular 392's before IE's even though IE's were all sold before regular 392 ordering opened up....

i think they just throw all the orders on the floor and pick them up randomly.

when your waiting for 4 months to get your car you have higher expectations....build them in order close to the original order date...not put people who ordered months later ahead of the the IE392's

people feel screwed.....people who can afford to pay $50k for a car expect to be treated special.....they chose the IE because its a special car.....why throw them to the back of the line? treat them like your companies future depends on it.

i think it will be forgotten by most of us, but the ones who are still in D1 while regular 392's are built...i think they may remember next time

·
Registered
820 Posts
i havent seen any evidence they batch them in any logical way....not by color, transmission, or nav....every region seems to be getting them now....they even are building regular 392's before IE's even though IE's were all sold before regular 392 ordering opened up....

i think they just throw all the orders on the floor and pick them up randomly.

when your waiting for 4 months to get your car you have higher expectations....build them in order close to the original order date...not put people who ordered months later ahead of the the IE392's

people feel screwed.....people who can afford to pay $50k for a car expect to be treated special.....they chose the IE because its a special car.....why throw them to the back of the line? treat them like your companies future depends on it.

i think it will be forgotten by most of us, but the ones who are still in D1 while regular 392's are built...i think they may remember next time
I think the launch of the 392 is a failure. It stared out pretty good with the announcement of a limted production model with the new 6.4 engine. They were right on track with the Hemi Highway tour taking it to tracks to get the buzz going and then they screwed up getting the cars built. The IE's should have been the first out of the gate with the new Chargers then when the buzz is out then start shipping the regular 392's. The opposite has happened it has turned into a cluster fu*K and it's not the guys building the cars it's the leadership and the decisions that were made. I'm not swearing Dodge off but I will not have another vehicle built after this one. They build some of the best vehicles on the market, but they really need to work on taking care of the customer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One thing I have learned from this lengthy process is that I'll probably never order a car again. Since they are already showing up on lots, I may just buy one off the lot and bail on the one I ordered. I thought ordering one would mean I would get it sooner than those for dealer stock, but that clearly isn't the case. Not really any harm either way, but you can get it sooner by buying one off the lot.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
One thing I have learned from this lengthy process is that I'll probably never order a car again. Since they are already showing up on lots, I may just buy one off the lot and bail on the one I ordered. I thought ordering one would mean I would get it sooner than those for dealer stock, but that clearly isn't the case. Not really any harm either way, but you can get it sooner by buying one off the lot.
The only drawback to that is you have to take the options on the car instead of what you want. On a normal car you can just tell the dealer what you want and they'll find it at another dealer and get it for you but on an IA you might be sorry.

·
Registered
105 Posts
déjà vu - all over again

Come on people!! Doesn't anybody read any of the previous threads before placing an order for a new Challenger model? :nono:

This is the same conversation that has occurred over and over for years now. Folks that ordered their Challengers waited and waited in anticipation, only to see similarly or exactly equipped cars show up on the dealers' lots, weeks, and frequently months, ahead of their "ordered" cars. They get bitter and start moaning and groaning about how long it takes to get their cars. And to add insult to injury, a lot of the time the ordered cars are purchased at inflated or much higher prices than what could be bought right off the lot. :notallthere:

Shame on you if you're surprised by this ... :disappointed:

Ya gotta wake up and smell the coffee - there's nothing limited or exclusive about any of these cars that you have to order them. There's really not that many options to choose from. IMO being first is a big waste of money when it comes to buying cars. A month ago, I bought a FF SRT for 8 grand under sticker and they only made 400 of 'em which is about 1/3 of the IE production. Bought it right off the lot (plenty to choose from) and with every option I wanted. :thumbsup:

I'm not trying to be harsh, but this certainly isn't anything new - that's for sure!:deadhorse:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think they batch them together maybe by region or options as the orders come in. Dealer orders and customer orders are treated the same unfortunately.
I'm inclined to agree. When you think about shipping, doesn't it make the most logical sense from a financial standpoint to ship several items in the least amount of shipments possible? Why ship, say 4 cars on 4 different trucks when they all can be sent on 1. Years ago I had ordered a car from a dealership (different manufacturer) and my cousin placed an order for a similar car at the same dealership approx. 3-4 weeks later. Both cars ended up coming in on the same truck approx. 4 weeks after his order was placed. I had waited nearly 8 weeks for my car and he had waited only 4.:fight: To add to that, when my Challenger was built, it sat for nearly a month in limbo with no explanation as to why. When it finally arrived at the dealership, it arrived with a couple of Chargers along with it. One car ordered by someone, the other was for the dealership showroom.
So, yes, I think it is very likely that there is some sort of planned staging and shipping shedule for a specific dealership or region, dependant on what is due to be sent to an area in order to minimize the amount of shipments needed.
I'm willing to bet, if someone is waiting a longer than normal period of time for their car, 9 times out of 10 its because there are other cars "in the pipe" due to be shipped to the same dealership or area.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The Dodge information hotline is absolutely useless. The didn't even know what a dealership allocation was yet alone when the next one was. Dodge didn't even provide their customer service reps with information to be able to provide their customers. I got an email this morning telling me to "take a look" at the 2011 Challenger. That's great and all but I'd like to take a look at mine parked in my driveway at some point.
Even dealers aren't given much information, at least mine isn't. Idk how Bob Frederick gets all the info he does, maybe he knows people at the plant, but he sure as hell doesn't get it through the regular channels.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Chrysler's ordering process and logistics just plain suck, that's all there is to it. GM and Ford have them beat hands-down in that department. My PCP car got hung up in a shipping yard in Toledo for a month. There's not much you can do but sit back and wait.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I honestly don't know how you guys do it. I think the OP is dead on. He has every right to be pissed and I would be too. What do they think you guys are ordering cars for? To get them later then if you had not ordered and just picked one up from the lot? And I'm sure you guys are paying a good amount of money for your cars as well as I don't think you can bargain online when ordering. :p

It makes no sense why Dodge doesn't do ORDERED cars first then move on reg cars.

Guys, the consumers have the power, make your anger and unhappiness known! The company depends on you!!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I JUST got off the phone with a very polite young lady at Chryslers' 800 number. The one on the web site. I told her my frustration with not only the (in my mind) long wait time for my IE, but the total lack of customer service, or care, on Chryslers' part, due to non-sold 2011 IE's and SRT's showing up on dealers lots. She asked me for my order number, then VIN. After getting the VIN, she told me the car had a shipping date of 12/23/2010. AND THAT IS ALL SHE COULD TELL ME! I explained that date had long since past, and certainly she or someone at the number CHRYSLER POSTS ON THEIR WEBSITE could tell me where my car is, and give me a true arrival date here, at least within a couple of days. She said "no, that is all the info they have". And this is Chrysler's customer service number! There was no one there that could give me any more info. I told her I realized it wasn't her fault, but I had to hear from a person with true answers by the end of the month, or Chrysler is going to lose a very, very good customer. And once I leave, I won't be coming back. She said she will have someone contact me either tonight, or Monday at the latest.

We will see, but I have my doubts.

I wouldn't be so pissed off normally, but there is no way unsold orders (for the same damn vehicle) should be built before deposited sold orders.

Rob

I called Dodge customer service Wed after the Ebay cars went up. Same thing as 715, they told me they couldn't help me and I should call my dealership. I told the guy the same thing, I know it's not his fault in any way but if the manufacturer can't help me with a manufacturing issue (or lack there of) how is a dealer going to help me with a manufacturing issue. :scratchhead: I asked him to at least relay my displeasure with Dodge to his superior which he said he would.

I did contact my dealership that day and the sales manager forwarded my email to his Dodge factory representative. Today he emailed me and asked if the rep or anybody else contacted me. I told him no and he apologized.

To those who are thinking of cancelling thier orders: If you have a good dealership you're dealing with don't hurt them by buying your car else where. I won't because they've given me the treatment I've expected and more. :thumbsup: So I plan on sticking with them so they get the profit.

As far as regional I don't think they do. One of those Ebay cars is from PA. At least 1 to 2 more PA cars are built and my PA car is sitting in D1 not yet built. I'd think they'd probably ship those all at once if they did.

I think it was Huggy that hit it on the head. Since there is no Viper in 2011 we are buying the most expensive car (cars only dunno about SUVs) with the most expensive package (IEs) in all of Dodge's line up. You'd think we'd get a little better treatment when inquiring about our cars. Then again I never bought or ordered a new car in my life so maybe my expectations in that area are way too high. :D

This car may not be important in Dodge's eyes but it represents 5 years of saving working 10-12 hour days for over time some times 6 days a week just to save enough to afford this car. So in my eyes this car is a reward for putting a lot of time in and busting my butt. :program: :cowtounge:

Ok I have to stop venting about this. Negativity will breed more negativity. :browsmiley: :soapbox:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I honestly don't know how you guys do it. I think the OP is dead on. He has every right to be pissed and I would be too. What do they think you guys are ordering cars for? To get them later then if you had not ordered and just picked one up from the lot? And I'm sure you guys are paying a good amount of money for your cars as well as I don't think you can bargain online when ordering. :p

It makes no sense why Dodge doesn't do ORDERED cars first then move on reg cars.

Guys, the consumers have the power, make your anger and unhappiness known! The company depends on you!!!
Well said and I think 715 has a great point. At this point, Dodge can not afford to piss off its enthusiests. They are the heart and soul of their customer base and "were" sure to be repeat customers. It's sad to see people turning against them, but it's their own fault. Dodge has to realize that there are a lot of options these days when it comes to buying a new vehicle (although none as bad as the IE392 IMO). They need to take a serious look at their customer service. They have a great product right now, but once a customer feels neglected or disrespected, they're very likely to start looking elsewhere. It's human nature. I work in sales in a very competitive industry where customer service is #1. Several of our competitors offer very similar products, so many times it's the service that's the differentiator between getting the sale and losing it to my competition. I can't tell you how many times I've won a sales simply because the customer felt more comfortable dealing with me over the competition due to superior customer service (even if they historically preferred the competitor's product).

Dodge is not the only automaker making a fast, mean looking car these days. It's the late 60's all over again (not really, but probably as close as we'll ever get again in our lifetimes). The fact is, to most in this day and age, the product can not be considered the only differentiator right now. Those who were in the know and serious enough to order an IE392 way back in the fall '10 SHOULD be given preferntial treatment. I really don't think it's asking too much for them to ensure that sold orders of several months get built and shipped prior to cars that are entirely unspoken for. I believe there are still a few guys sitting in D1 who placed orders back in September / October timeframe. Now all of sudden orphan IE's are showing up on dealer lots up for grabs for the average joe who didn't have a clue. Kinda pisses me off. I wouldn't have as much of an issue with this if it were standard production SRT8 392's showing up, but the IE's were "supposed" to be in extremely high demand and were being snatched up a long, long time ago by Dodge enthusiets who actually care. I would have to imagine that most of the IE's are going to people who already own or plan to own in the future other Dodge products. I can't imagine too many people switching from a Nissan / Toyota / Honda to an IE392. I understand it's a business and they need to attract new customers, but they really need to focus on KEEPING they're most loyal customers, well, loyal. One would have to imagine that's who they originally had in mind when they developed the IE392.

This is my first time ordering a car and I will not be so inclined to do it again. My uncle used to be VP of sales / marketing for Chrysler prior to the Daimler days (forced out due to Daimler management changes), so we've always been a Dodge family. We'll stay that way, but our next car (grand cherokee or durango) will no doubt be purchased off the lot. It's not everday a run like the IE392 comes around, so I'm definitely sticking it out, but getting pretty frustrated in the process.

$0.03

·
Registered
681 Posts
I JUST got off the phone with a very polite young lady at Chryslers' 800 number. She asked me for my order number, then VIN. After getting the VIN, she told me the car had a shipping date of 12/23/2010. AND THAT IS ALL SHE COULD TELL ME!
Rob
Try this link and after it comes up replace the VIN shown in the URL address bar with your VIN:
Vehicle Shipment Status and History

·
Registered
105 Posts
déjà vu - all over again

Now all of sudden orphan IE's are showing up on dealer lots up for grabs for the average joe who didn't have a clue. Kinda pisses me off. I wouldn't have as much of an issue with this if it were standard production SRT8 392's showing up, but the IE's were "supposed" to be in extremely high demand and were being snatched up a long, long time ago by Dodge enthusiets who actually care. I would have to imagine that most of the IE's are going to people who already own or plan to own in the future other Dodge products.
I guess I'm in the minority on this one. But I actually think the people that order these types of "limited" cars are foolish. :saythat: First off, they are probably paying way too much. No one is getting a deal when ordering a new edition/model Challenger. Maybe they have money to burn, but the average person doesn't. :slant:

It's more than likely that in less than 6 months they'll probably find that they've thrown away thousands of dollars. By the time some the people that ordered cars (and paid the premium price) actually get the car, the prices will have already dropped on the ones sitting on the dealers' lots. :icon_cry:

Just because someone plunked down a few bucks (as little as $500.00 at some dealers) as a deposit to order a Challenger, that doesn't give them any special priority over a dealer that sells hundreds of cars a month or a buyer that walks into a dealership and buys one off the lot. :fight:

What possible reason makes someone think an IE is in high demand? :werd: They're making over a thousand of 'em - certainly not very limited in car circles. The economy stinks, gas prices are likely to go up significantly in the near future and with more HP, insurance will surely increase. All of the manufacturers, and Mopar is no exception, realize there's a niche market of gullible people that will all too quickly throw their money away to be the "first one on the block" with the new model. Why do you think they keep coming up with all kinds of "limited editions"? :browsmiley:

You don't have to look that far back to see what I'm referring to - there are plenty, and I mean plenty, of Mopar 10's and Furious Fuchsia SRT's that are still for sale at way, way, less than MSRP - and those models were all hyped and supposed to have been sold out too. Think about it, Mopar made far fewer of those models than IE's - wait 'til 392 models start filling the dealers' lots. :rawr:

Along with my Challenger I own a Plymouth Prowler. And even though the Prowler is truly a "limited edition" vehicle, IMO numerous people paid WAAAAAY too much over sticker just to be among the first to own one. The outrageous prices paid for the introductory models didn't insure they would get the car before the dealers, and it certainly didn't guarantee the car's longevity.

I wish those that ordered an IE the best with their purchase, but quit complaining. Just because they may have put a deposit on a car that they've never seen or driven, they're no more special than that "limited edition" car. :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
^^^ Not much to argue about. I ordered the IE392 'cause it is the car that I want... Yes, I would like it sooner than later. I didn't place a deposit in Sept when ordered, but have since negotiated the deal and dropped $2K on her. If you hear any negativity from me it is simply anticipation...... come on already I want to bring my dream car home!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMO there actually are a few points to argue, but I know that doesn't do us any good so I'll do my best to keep that to a minimum. Although I do see where TorRED is coming from and he does raise some good points from another perspective. I guess my only real complaint about the whole process is that Dodge could do themselves some good by being a little more customer oriented about the whole process (although my dealer has been great). After all, it's the consumer that's keeps them in business, not the dealers. To me, and I think most, it would make sense to try keeping the dedicated customers happy (which we will be once we finally have our cars). I think many are simply getting frustrated with the wait and it's leading to a lot of the negativity. That'll be history all too soon once the cars arrive. It's been a long time and we just want our cars already.

For me, the second I saw the DWB IE, I knew that was the Challenger I had to have, regardless of the cost. I'm paying MSRP which I was totally fine with and expecting for an '11 Challenger, IE or not (this early in the model year at least). This will be a limited driver for me, so I'm not all that concerned about extra costs associated with gas prices, insurance, etc. I would hope that most who are forking out over $45K for a car are thinking the same way.

For now, I think the IE is by far the most impressive and sought after factory Challenger to date. This probably explains why there are still FF and Mopar '10's sitting on lots selling for under MSRP. Even though the numbers might be fewer, why would anyone looking for a Challenger right now purchase one of those after news of the IE release was announced? I guess only time will tell as to what the market actually considers a "limited" Challenger. I'm sure future years and models will only bring more limited runs and upgrades (426 please!) but for now the IE is the only Challenger for me and I'm sure I will be quite satisified for a long, long time.

Sorry for all the ranting tonight, but I just want to lay down some damn rubber already.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts