Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my dads 6 speed to the track yesterday and wow, it gets nasty mad wheel hop. I wasnt even comfortable doing a burnout it was so bad and just ran the DR's without heating them up. Eased it out of the hole the best I could.

His 6 speed SRT has an arrington 440 in it so its got tons of tq, shame I couldnt hammer it out of the hole. Low 11's in it for sure with the 119mph trap speed.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
it takes practice. i would say it took me at least 20 passes to start to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Did you turn off the ESP? That usually helps with mine. Although, it's getting a Hop Not as soon as I can find time to install it.

Disturbing sound isn't it?

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
I still haven't mastered the launch on our 6 speed. My best 60' is 1.96. Best run is 13.46. I would much rather race my V6 auto.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
chevy has a brace for the camaro it's like a giant X that supports the rear to the subframe, do they have something like that for the mopar i wonder.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I took my dads 6 speed to the track yesterday and wow, it gets nasty mad wheel hop. I wasnt even comfortable doing a burnout it was so bad and just ran the DR's without heating them up. Eased it out of the hole the best I could.

His 6 speed SRT has an arrington 440 in it so its got tons of tq, shame I couldnt hammer it out of the hole. Low 11's in it for sure with the 119mph trap speed.

what are you doing? LOL bet that felt like you we're never gone get there, after that 9 second pass.

·
Registered
448 Posts
chevy has a brace for the camaro it's like a giant X that supports the rear to the subframe, do they have something like that for the mopar i wonder.
I saw Hotchkis Suspension has a rear subframe stiffening system for Camaro.
Couldn't be that difficult for them to adapt it to Challengers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im on the fence about getting the hop not or waiting on some solid rear bushings. Im leaning towards the bushings but wondered what you guys were doing. Im suprised there isnt more of you experiencing the same sickening feeling you get when your car feels like its going to grenade from the hop, lol.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i have never had it HOP maybe i need more power.. but I take it to 3500 or so slip the clutch roll on and hang on.I would love to take a 440 down the track smile

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
Im on the fence about getting the hop not or waiting on some solid rear bushings. Im leaning towards the bushings but wondered what you guys were doing. Im suprised there isnt more of you experiencing the same sickening feeling you get when your car feels like its going to grenade from the hop, lol.
Dan if you do the bushings the 4 cradle bushing would be my starting point have you done anything with the suspension? I had the Bilstiens and changed out to Petty's Garage coil overs love them adjustable ride height and dampening when you get to the track I set the rear at about 50/50 and soften the fronts to zero :thumbsup:
I have had hop but it's usually happens with street tires on the track DR's not and issue other than breaking half shafts and everything else...

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I got wheel hop pretty good on the DR's a few times Saturday, and I'm running the Pedders stuff. It's not much fun, but most runs I didn't get it.

You gotta like rowing the gears... Cool old school ;-)

HemiSam

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
There's some incredible video here, where they've also incorporated some high tech GPS technology, that shows brutal wheel hop on a 6-speed. The Dodge engineers were in a bit of denial, arguing some of it was intended for ride comfort, until they saw it themselves. Pain in the arse...

Valley also has a vid of him demonstrating some speed shifting and I don't think the poor guy has any teeth left...LOL!

Good fun all the same. Congrats on the 9's, man!

HemiSam

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
All stock suspension, figured Id ask you guys your opinion.
Dan the stock bushings are pretty bad although some have never had wheel hop and others have. If you ever experience it it's nuts!
The bigger question is what is the main use of the car cruising and street or more of a track car with the 440 your going to blow the tires off until you get the right combination. I'll assume your using a 17" rear and at least a 28" tall DR some of the guys have been using slicks by Hoosier and have had good success. :)

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
There's some incredible video here, where they've also incorporated some high tech GPS technology, that shows brutal wheel hop on a 6-speed. The Dodge engineers were in a bit of denial, arguing some of it was intended for ride comfort, until they saw it themselves. Pain in the arse...

Valley also has a vid of him demonstrating some speed shifting and I don't think the poor guy has any teeth left...LOL!

Good fun all the same. Congrats on the 9's, man! HemiSam
Damn good fun and yeah my dental bill is down considerably. Can't wait to see vids of you speed shifting too. Your ride is beggin for it on both the 2-3 & 3-4. That thing is glued and would gain some if it's nose held still due to a more steady push. :)

·
Registered
736 Posts

Good fun all the same. Congrats on the 9's, man!

HemiSam
Sam, in the first video you posted of your runs the other day (congrats again), when you lit them up, I heard some skipping. It was like tire screech skip, tire screech skip etc.....Was that slight hop when doing your burnout?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts