Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new here hello everyone. I've always admired the looks of the SRT 8 Challenger and the other day I got to finally race one. It was a blue SRT 8 and I could have sworn I saw temp tags.
We line up at a light and I get him by about two buses but maintained the two buses. Then from a roll it was a little worse and again from a stop same outcome. I'm actually complimenting the car for hanging like that ( I know losing by bus lengths isn't the ideal outcome but when you read my mods you'll understand).
I also had my regular DR's on not my Mickey's so the traction was definatly an issue for me. With out the right tires my car could send you flying into a building. lol Also this took place before my dyno tune with my new chip so who knows if the loss would have been worse with my slicks and new tune. But regardless.....
Gorgeous cars and I love the way they look. For all of you guys out there with the SRT 8's they are one hell of a car. I put them on my new fav. car list with the Terminators. (sorry I know most of you probably hate the terminators. )
Anyway not trying to be a troll by telling my story about the SRT losing rather just saying that he claimed it was stock (which is the only thing he told me because I couldn't really hear him over my exhaust)

I own an 86 Buick Grand National with the following mods

1986 WH1 paint scheme GN
Engine Completly rebuilt 40 Bore, Diamond Pistons, Eagle Crank Shaft, CPT Ball Bearing 66 Turbonetics, F.A.S.T, 3.5 Inch Down Pipe with 46 Ext. Waste Gate, Boost Cont, Fbody Radiator (cheaper and just as efficient as the aluminum), Front Mount GN1 Intercooler Extreme, Alcohol Injection Kit, Shift Recal Kit, 3200 Stall Converter, Rebuilt Tranny, Ported Intake Manifold, 60 Lb Fuel Inj, Duel Walboro 255s, 70 MM Plenum, 70 MM Throttle Body, Champion Heads, 212 Cam, CAI, Cut Outs, Pypes Catback, Catless, LT1 Maf, Gen 1 MAF Trans, Poston Header Ceramic Coated, Poly Urathane Body Bushings Kit, Rear Sear Brace Kit, Frame Brace kit, Hood Brace Kit, Front Connecting Brace Kit, Fuel Pump Wiring Upgrade, Remote Oiling System Upgrade, Accufab Adjustable Fuel Regulator, Fuel Rail Feed Line, H&R Parts Poly Motor Mounts, H & R Parts Trans Mount, New Gas Tank, Upgraded Ignition and Coil Pack, Weld Rims, Mickey Thompson Drag Radials, Scan Master, Tach and after market guages all around, LED Tail Lights cool looking they fade , Metco Control Arms, Moogle Springs with rear Air Bags, Billstien Shocks, H & R Sway Bar, Dakota Digital Dash, Mezierre Water Pump, Roll Bar, Vacuum Brake Sytem, Plenum Spacer, Intrepid Cooling Fans, New Interior Seats, Carpet, Headliner, Dash.
And a nice new Turbo Tweak chip to go with the new engine which can actually be totally dyno tuned which gained me a chunk of torque and HP.

3,300 lbs with me in it.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
A blue SRT8 means that the car you were racing in the Inaugural Edition SRT8 392. Dodge just started delivering these cars which explains the temp tags. The 392 Hemi is rated at 470 hp and 470 ft-lbs torque. Considering that your Grand National has a 1,000 pound advantage, the SRT did quite well.

Many years ago I owned a 1987 Grand National. Awesome car.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
those GN's are badass. i always wanted one but they always wanted too much for them. Of course, now that you think back, they really werent THAT MUCH more expensive but anyways....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I SWORE THERE WAS SOMETHING DIFF ABOUT THIS ONE!!!! Thank goodness someone cleared this up for me. And the only other thing besides him telling me it was stock was he after the first race he SCREAMED "THAT THING MUST BE OVER 500 HP!!" That explains his explanation of 500 hp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW- I'll be at Atco next Thurs. and Fri. if there's any NJ guys around. Maybe we can run them. :)
In all seriousness I do have the upmost respect for any SRT 8 but I love that Dodge made a special Challenger with that many more ponies. Wish GM would take a page from Mopar's handbook.

·
Registered
653 Posts
GN the 2011 Challengers all have the same engine the only thing special about the special edition is a paintjob, seats, and a dash plaque out of 1100. Where in New Jersey do you live? I live up north in bergen county and I'm getting my 2011 SRT8 today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Your car sounds like some guys I know around here. One GN guy swears by mickey's he thinks I should find some for my SRT. I've got to find the picture of him at the strip with his front tires in the air.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh well regardless only losing by a couple of buses to me is pretty damned good. Their just sharp looking cars and look even better up close. Congrats to those that own one. I mean some people would consider 2 + buses as a massacre.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
A blue SRT8 means that the car you were racing in the Inaugural Edition SRT8 392. Dodge just started delivering these cars which explains the temp tags. The 392 Hemi is rated at 470 hp and 470 ft-lbs torque. Considering that your Grand National has a 1,000 pound advantage, the SRT did quite well.

Many years ago I owned a 1987 Grand National. Awesome car.
Or B5 Blue?? 393 Hemi?? :notallthere:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GN the 2011 Challengers all have the same engine the only thing special about the special edition is a paintjob, seats, and a dash plaque out of 1100. Where in New Jersey do you live? I live up north in bergen county and I'm getting my 2011 SRT8 today or tomorrow.
I'm in Medford about 25 min outside of Philly and 10 min from Atco. So does :redcap::redcap:the 2011 have the larger engine or is it still the same? Not that it really matters just curious. It did have white stripes I could swear. I wouldn't put my child's life on it but I'm almost positive. Regardless it was nice to get a run in. I tried to get a Shelby 500 to race but he told me he had clutch issues.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm in Medford about 25 min outside of Philly and 10 min from Atco. So does :redcap::redcap:the 2011 have the larger engine or is it still the same? Not that it really matters just curious. It did have white stripes I could swear. I wouldn't put my child's life on it but I'm almost positive. Regardless it was nice to get a run in. I tried to get a Shelby 500 to race but he told me he had clutch issues.
If it had a white stripe it was probably the new engine which is 6.4 liters over the previous year's 6.1 hemi.

Did it look something like this? http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/2011DodgeChallenger392_1.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the only debate I'm having with myself.....when I tell the story and say 2 bus lengths everyone says it was a murder but he MAINTAINED 2 bus lengths for several moments with out me putting another bus on him so in my mind that's decent.:werd:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plus the only thing he made a point to scream to me was that my car HAD TO BE OVER 500 so now that I know that he has the new 6.4 it makes more sense if he thinks he's rated at 475. Maybe he doesn't know that car companies give out HP numbers by the fly wheel not the tire. Regardless if he reads this and to ANYONE WITH these cars BAD ASS!!

I almost bought an SRT 8 Charger and then came literally minutes away from buying a Jeep SRT. I still love the Jeep and would actually trade my beast for a Jeep SRT if the deal was right. I would take a major loss though unless he dropped a stroker and supercharger strapped on. LOL

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you were racing an R/T or an 2008-2010 SRT8 I think you would be easily seeing 3 bus lengths. These Challenger are really nice cars but they are heavy... a lot heavy than your GN. The 2011 392 Hemi SRT8 you raced has a ton of torque to fight that weight. Good story thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you were racing an R/T or an 2008-2010 SRT8 I think you would be easily seeing 3 bus lengths. These Challenger are really nice cars but they are heavy... a lot heavy than your GN. The 2011 392 Hemi SRT8 you raced has a ton of torque to fight that weight. Good story thanks for sharing.
Wow I always respected these and now with a 392 they should be running with a Shelby 500 now right? The SVT guys made it sound like a stocker Shelby 500 would do the same exact thing to an SRT 8. I asked how could a stock 500 do the same thing a 10 sec. GN can do?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Wow I always respected these and now with a 392 they should be running with a Shelby 500 now right? The SVT guys made it sound like a stocker Shelby 500 would do the same exact thing to an SRT 8. I asked how could a stock 500 do the same thing a 10 sec. GN can do?
Yup, the Shelby 500s only have a couple 1/10s of a second on the 392 in the 1/4 mile.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts