Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello; new member here. just purchased a wrecked 2013 r/t from insurance company to use as a donor for my 1969 dart. cannot get engine to turn over; like something has got start circuit shutdown. everything seems normal when i try to start it. i have tried everything i can think of, nothing works. all instruments light up. goes to run mode. the car has been upside down on the roof if that matters. anyone have experience with this or any idea what i might try or check. do not have scanner. any help appreciated. car is automatic. thanks

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Is there a fuel pump shut off for safety such as what Ford uses? I have no clue just tossing that one out there.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Did you srep on the brake? Is the trans in park? I ask these because as a wrecked vehicle, an interruption to either of these 'safety' circuits will prevent the car from starting.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
There's a fuse in the fusebox that provides power to the ecm, too right? If that was pulled or became compromised, then you could crank the engine all day and it won't fire up.

As noted above, maybe it just isn't getting fuel for one reason or other, too. Do you hear the faint whir of the fuel pump pressurizing when you first turn the key to run mode?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
So what's the plan for the project? Resto-mod?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Check for spark and fuel, that should cut your possibilities in half. Check all fuses.Check all connections.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If it has been on it's roof then a roll over fuel/ignition safety shutoff switch would be the first thing to check.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
There's a fuse in the fusebox that provides power to the ecm, too right? If that was pulled or became compromised, then you could crank the engine all day and it won't fire up.

As noted above, maybe it just isn't getting fuel for one reason or other, too. Do you hear the faint whir of the fuel pump pressurizing when you first turn the key to run mode?
Check for spark and fuel, that should cut your possibilities in half. Check all fuses.Check all connections.
The engine isn't cranking/turning over. It's not even getting to the point where fuel and spark matter.

If the starter isn't even clicking like it's trying to engage then it definitely sounds like a safety interrupt somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
if your getting a clicking from the starter but nothing else try pulling all the plugs, make sure its not hydro locked from being on its roof!

im also in the works to find a wrecked donor for a resto mod on my 67 barracuda notch. . . . what did you have to pay for yours?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hot wire the starter/solenoid direct to a battery. You are wasting your time until you buy a painless replacement harness to merge the block into a new chassis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok-been out of town a few days. thanks to all who replied. engine is still in challenger. engine is not turning over. no signal to starter. i think 1 of the start interrupt systems is keeping start signal from getting to starter and probably fuel pump? an ideas as to what to check or how to bypass?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts