Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not to list all the other problems i have had with the car but have gone through 2 power steering pumps, replaced the front steering rack, And they have torn the motor apart because my overflow container was getting pressureized and blowing coolant out of it. Plus there was also oil in it. To which they said they found nothing wrong with the car. After i got it back the problem seemed to go away so i was like fine it fixed thats all i care. Well now i popped the hood to show a buddy the engine and low and behold theres coolant all down the inner fender. I'm so feed up with taking this car to the dealership cause its always a fight with them to take care of it. Mind you the car only has 5900 miles on it. Has anyone heard of the overflow bottle pressurizing and getting oil in it? I work on cars so i personally know that it means more than like a head gasket issue. Just frustrated and looking for some advice from you guys.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So not to list all the other problems i have had with the car but have gone through 2 power steering pumps, replaced the front steering rack, And they have torn the motor apart because my overflow container was getting pressureized and blowing coolant out of it. Plus there was also oil in it. To which they said they found nothing wrong with the car. After i got it back the problem seemed to go away so i was like fine it fixed thats all i care. Well now i popped the hood to show a buddy the engine and low and behold theres coolant all down the inner fender. I'm so feed up with taking this car to the dealership cause its always a fight with them to take care of it. Mind you the car only has 5900 miles on it. Has anyone heard of the overflow bottle pressurizing and getting oil in it? I work on cars so i personally know that it means more than like a head gasket issue. Just frustrated and looking for some advice from you guys.
I had the same problem minus the oil with a blown intake gasket a few years ago on my Olds Alero. I had the gasket issue fixed then popped it a little over a year later. It would puke coolant out the overflow and my temp gauge was reading lower than it should.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
U check the overflow bottle cap (rad cap) ?? it should be a 18psi cap that comes from the factory. There is a 20-21 psi cap that i have been installing on my own car and a few customers of mine and the leak from the overflow bottle should stop.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well dropped car back off at dodge. they are going to pull motor and have it checked for cracks since they think its exaust getting in coolant rather than oil. Head gaskets looked fine again so hopefully they find the prob this time. Getting at lot better treatment at diff dealership than the last time too. Also talked to them about if they were pulling the motor anyway if i paid out of pocket for an upgrade to put a diff one in lol. They at least entertained the idea and said they will check haha. Fingers are crossed for 426 or 440 hehe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well dropped car back off at dodge. they are going to pull motor and have it checked for cracks since they think its exaust getting in coolant rather than oil. Head gaskets looked fine again so hopefully they find the prob this time. Getting at lot better treatment at diff dealership than the last time too. Also talked to them about if they were pulling the motor anyway if i paid out of pocket for an upgrade to put a diff one in lol. They at least entertained the idea and said they will check haha. Fingers are crossed for 426 or 440 hehe.
YEAH! Never hurts to ask, sometimes people say yes, after all how many opportunities will you get to have things done while the motor is out.......

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I would put money on a cracked oil cooler.

·
Registered
326 Posts
U check the overflow bottle cap (rad cap) ?? it should be a 18psi cap that comes from the factory. There is a 20-21 psi cap that i have been installing on my own car and a few customers of mine and the leak from the overflow bottle should stop.
i know this is a old post but would not doing this increase the risk of having to much pressure in the cooling system thus causing the weakest link in the system to blow?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts