Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group, a conundrum...
Last night I took one of my employees home because her car had broken down. As we are sitting in the parking lot waiting for the car to warm up, something catches my eye...
My gas gauge was moving, and moving fast!!!! It went down two notches in about a minute so I turned it off so maybe it would reset but to no avail. So I threw it in drive and took off so I could get her home before I ran out of gas. However, as we were driving it started climbing back up slowly until it was actually higher than when I parked it that morning.
Is this normal or do I need to take it back to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
theres is no such thing as normal.
never mess with a fuel problem tow it to the dealer.
If that thing is leaking fuel or about to leak fuel say bye bye to your car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to work fine once I start driving, so I'll probably just wait until Thursday when I take it in for a detail and dent removal. Unless of course it gets worse then Dodge will be towing her to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It's probably a lag in the equalization pump between the two gas tanks under the seat. It happens on mine sometimes and can come back up and be higher than before by 1-2 clicks. Slight inclines or declines from side-to-side can cause this especially when the engine is in cold/choke mode...since the car is sucking down gas quicker idling. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the engine cuts out - then its a different animal/part all together.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Last night I took one of my employees home because her car had broken down.

Sure i get it ,trying the old out of gas routine to get the girl to make out with you huh??LOL.I think Its normal sometimes mine goes up to almost full and then comes down to where it was

·
Registered
442 Posts
May very well be a bad sensor. The gauge can move more quickly, especially at the half tank mark, but not so fast that you can actually see it.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,988 Posts
I did not know there were two tanks, interesting. The 2011 Mustang Inside Line is long term testing has had issues with this set up. Obviously this has not been an issue for the LX cars

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You probably didn't realize this, but the gas gauge indicates the "miles till empty" as it is an active system related on how you drive. You sititng there for a minute or so, your MPG went to probably 2 or 3. Thus the gas gauge will reflect that and it started dropping. Once you took off driving the MPG increased and the needle went up.

Try it out sometime. Drive like a maniac, and watch the fuel indicator go down to "refelct" how many miles are left till the tank is empty. Drive like grandma, and it will creep back up.

The better the milage the further the gas gauge will go up. It really does not indicate the actual volume per se. If you want actual gallons you have to look at the right and left tank reading in the EVIC sub menus for solid numbers.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You probably didn't realize this, but the gas gauge indicates the "miles till empty" as it is an active system related on how you drive. You sititng there for a minute or so, your MPG went to probably 2 or 3. Thus the gas gauge will reflect that and it started dropping. Once you took off driving the MPG increased and the needle went up.

Try it out sometime. Drive like a maniac, and watch the fuel indicator go down to "refelct" how many miles are left till the tank is empty. Drive like grandma, and it will creep back up.

The better the milage the further the gas gauge will go up. It really does not indicate the actual volume per se. If you want actual gallons you have to look at the right and left tank reading in the EVIC sub menus for solid numbers.
....so the level indicator is based on an algorithm rather than actual amount in the tank? I never noticed the level perceivably change even when I altered my driving habits. I'll have to pay more attention sometime.

·
Super Moderator
16,117 Posts
Your fuel sender is going bad - there's two of them in the Challenger / LX cars - they continually average the readout to give you the overall fuel level in the tank @ the gauge. These saddle tanks straddle the driveshaft and have two pickup/sender assemblies inside the tank.

They normally shouldn't produce swings in fuel level (regardless of cornering, braking, etc) - I have an M-B that uses the same setup - normally is very stable. I've had my Challenger 2+ years so far and the fuel gauge is very stable.

I had a sender go faulty in the 'Benz and I'd get a 1/2 reading when I actually had a nearly full tank.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
....so the level indicator is based on an algorithm rather than actual amount in the tank? I never noticed the level perceivably change even when I altered my driving habits. I'll have to pay more attention sometime.
Yup. that's what mine does. It's not large swings, but you can see it move based on your driving habits.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, I'm leaving to go out of town tomorrow so I'll watch it as I drive down the highway and see if it goes real slow. I'll give my dealer a call in the morning and ask if it's normal. The parking lot is level as far as I can tell but it could still have a slight incline. I'll have an update in the morning.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
throttle by wire based on driving habits , yes. fuel guage is another matter.
no your guage should not move as you sit there and idle ,incline or not !

·
Premium Member
2016 Challenger Hellcat, Plum Crazy Purple, A8 (Grape Ape)
3,601 Posts
^^ What he said!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts