Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I ported my RT's oem TB today, and was VERY conservative with the porting. Put it back together and car is running like absolute sh1t. Tried rewriting the code, pulling pcm fuse, nothing. Anybody had this issue/know how the eff to fix it? Thanks fellas. Attached is a before and after pic to show the blade gap... car is surging all over the place. idle is rough as hell. threw bank 1 and 2 "too lean" codes, and one for unexpected idle speed. grr

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Interesting... Don't see much difference on the TB other than "looking" better.
Will be interesting to see what the result is.

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
Did you port (enlarge) around where the throttle blade is?

If so, you may have introduced a symptom like a vacuum leak...?

There's a set amount of air expected to pass around the closed throttle, too much and it will "fall on its face".

With some other posts, I've noticed comments on larger TBs requiring tuning to make them run correctly.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Did you do the ENTIRE bore of the throttle body, including where the throttle blade makes contact with the housing? If you touched any part of the bore where the blade rests when closed then that's where you went wrong.

If you didn't mess with that area then I would check for a damaged, leaking, etc TB gasket where it mates to the intake manifold as that would cause a vacuum leak and can lead to the symptoms you've listed.

As Captain mentioned, also make sure everything is plugged in, though a disconnected sensor would trigger a CEL.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So i just doubled checked all the connections, MAF included, and everything is connected correctly. still idling SUPER rough. Is there any way i could have damaged a sensor inside the TB with lubricant/carb cleaner? Also, i stayed away completely from the center of the bore. just did the ridges behind and in front of the blade. Visually, the gaps around the blade appear to be exactly the same as before. Now i'm SOL because im not driving it with the computer leaning it out...
also, no leaks apparent around intake/TB seal

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Have you removed again to see if the gasket is damaged? Your dellima sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. I once had the exact same issues you describe, turned out the PCV hose to my catch can came off.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removed the TB and checked, gasket look good :/ butterfly is operating correctly. Could it be a sensor in the TB? Or just by coincidence the maf go out?

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
Removed the TB and checked, gasket look good :/ butterfly is operating correctly. Could it be a sensor in the TB? Or just by coincidence the maf go out?
Doesn't have a MAF. Speed density system.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats that on the intake then...?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotcha. Wth i cannot fig this out... All the vacuum lines are secure, no bad gaskets, even back to stock tune. Still runs like hell! Ughhh! Is damaging the TB with any kind of liquid possible? So effin stumped...

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
No offense bud but certain things should be left to the pros there is a reason why companies spend big $$ on engineers and 100K + CNC equipment to port automotive parts, Your TB is now a paper weight. I have some low mileage take offs that are ported here I can give you a great deal on shoot me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea but what could i possibly have effed up? I didnt port anywhere near the flapper. So all i did was take away a little metal and it loses its mind? Ugh. Just bite the bullet and pick up a used one for now, dont have time to stumble around narnia lol

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,507 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could that cause ridic rough idle? Also, on startup, the rpms shoot to like 2300, then slowly come down

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,507 Posts
Not sure, fire up tuner and start a datalog recording as you drive. Check the intake air temp value being reported. If it's something completely absurd, maybe that's the prob.

If not, look at any of the other PIDs you can eyeball for out-of-whack values to see if it's a bad sensor. Heck, download a log and compare to an old one to look for off-nominal PID values.

All that's probably not very helpful, but that's what I would do if it were mine, just to see if I could find something, anything, to investigate further...for whatever that's worth.

Good luck,
Nuke

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok thanks. Seems a little trivial, but ive been seeing guys talking about low coolant causing idle surge... My coolant is kinda milky and it keeps dropping to below MIN. Like i filled it up two days ago and its already below min...

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Have you revved or driven it? Hard to tell from your posts if you have or if you had the idle problems and stopped there. Wondering what the throttle response is like.

Have you moved the throttle blade by hand? I should open and close without binding and snap closed without issue. You can also make sure it's doing the self-test when you turn the key to run but don't start the engine.

Here's a video of the self test. First sequence is key run and foot off the throttle, second sequence is pedal to the floor and then turn to the key to run.

Side note, 31k miles and I've never cleaned, let alone touched, my TB. That baby is CLEAN. :)

Reactions: sbct6
1 - 20 of 104 Posts