Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of interest to me at least. Here are the mpg I received last year. Each was calculated manually using actual gallons put into the car and miles driven. I have noticed that the EVIC numbers consistently report higher MPG than what I actually get.

2012 Challenger RT
Automatic -- sometimes in Sport Mode, usually not
No Mods
No Catch Can
Uses only Shell non-ethanol gas (not sure of the octane, will have to look next time I fill up)

2013-12-31: 17.4 MPG <- Cold weather driving mix city/freeway
2013-12-01: 21.1 MPG
2013-11-16: 21.2 MPG
2013-11-03: 21.6 MPG <-- Here was where I started driving it more on the freeway.
2013-10-20: 15.5 MPG <-- City driving
2013-09-21: 16.5 MPG
2013-08-27: 17.9 MPG
2013-06-22: 13.0 MPG <-- City driving
2013-05-17: 13.4 MPG <-- City driving
2013-02-23: 12.5 MPG <-- City driving
2013-01-20: 15.1 MPG

I have considered trying a different type of gas to see if the pure gas really does get better mileage, but as one can see, the mileage is all over the map from tank to tank, so I'm not sure that I would be able to learn anything, so I am sticking with the pure Shell gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the interesting info. Gives me an idea of what mine's been doing and what to expect (I don't record mpg myself).

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I try not to think about it... it's too depressing. :disappointed:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Is that an auto or manual? Do you have any mods or a catch can? What octane and brand are you using?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Mine's a 2013 auto that drinks 89 gas and is always in AutoStick mode. I commute with it and drive almost 20K in a year so I do watch the mileage even if I try not to obsess about it. Driving about 70/30 freeway/city I consistently got 19-20 mpg (+/- 0.5). Whenever I checked, the EVIC was exaggerating by about 0.5 to 1 mpg, but it's been a pretty good estimate. I'm very happy with this number as it's about 2 mpg better than my old '07 Charger R/T while I have 30 HP more.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My '13 6m got 14 mpg when new now I get 16 after 5k on the ODO. I only drive city and I'm hard on her. No complaints its better than my last car with 4 cylinders. I love my RT!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What octane are you running? Do you have any method to monitor you knock? I ask because this all plays a role in performance and fuel economy. On the stock tune running shell 93 I was still seeing very high knock. I installed a catch can and it helped but the biggest difference was switching over to chevron. Its going to vary depending on your location but you should monitor your knock and try a few different stations.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would think using Autostick will give you better mpg to move that heavy load instead of just leaving it in drive, this is why i think me and usrwdv8, are getting the same mpg..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fan-of-Dodge-Challenger/446115108789757
I have read it many times that accelerating to speed is better for mpg than creeping to speed. I know mine likes to shift out of second way too quickly, I might start running in stick mode to hold it a little longer.

The highest I have ever averaged was 22 to a whole tank but I cant keep off the gas peddle. Highest highway miles was 30.7 over a 33 mile trip, while running MDS with all my current mods except for the headers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
New highway record for my 2013 RT: 29 mpg. Trip was approx. 190 miles, largely southbound in California (tailwind), largely flat, speeds ranging from 58-78, probably averaging 72ish, most of the trip in 6th gear, manual. Running 91 octane.
Only mods are:
Oil catch can
AEM cold air intake
Resonator delete with Flowmaster 50 series

Around town is another matter :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Once the Government Quits Mandating Putting Corn Ethanol in Our Gasoline, Everyones MPG will increase and Gasoline prices will go down!!
Eliminating the Ethanol requirement may even boost the MPG enough to get rid of the Gas Guzzler Tax on the SRT Models and eliminate the need for MDS in the Automatic R/T's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts