Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do the yellow cover/covers on the front air dam/spoiler indicate? I have seen them on GT's and higher powered models, or not at all on these same models. Either one yellow cover across the entire spoiler, or a left and right corner cover.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They are shipping guards. The dealers are supposed to remove them before delivery but many owner's leave them on. Problem is, is that they are prone to cause scratches on your front splitter as dirt & debris will accumulate underneath them. The splitter guard works back & forth and the debris acts as an abrasive. The designers have asked that you remove these guards as they are not supposed to be permanent. Some of 2020's even came with pink shipping guards in the hopes that the owner's would remove them.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 Speed
27 Posts
They are shipping guards. The dealers are supposed to remove them before delivery but many owner's leave them on. Problem is, is that they are prone to cause scratches on your front splitter as dirt & debris will accumulate underneath them. The splitter guard works back & forth and the debris acts as an abrasive. The designers have asked that you remove these guards as they are not supposed to be permanent. Some of 2020's even came with pink shipping guards in the hopes that the owner's would remove them.
I remember a while back they were talking about making them purple in hopes of people removing them... then they realized that wouldn't have the desired effect on the Mopar community.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
The yellow stands out so people leave them on so they will be noticed more. Look at me I have a new car.

·
Premium Member
9,426 Posts
They should make them with a mixture of plastic pellets so it looks like an ugly mess of color. The spoiler isn’t an expensive part if it needed replacement.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Like stated before if they leave them on they'll be sorry if they ever take them off and see the splitter scratches from the dirt under them.

·
Premium Member
9,426 Posts
I sold mine on eBay. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. I was just going to throw them away until I saw people actually wanted them. BTW I think they look terrible.
What was it sold for?
Just like the old sayin g of “a fool and his money...”

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I got them for $25 on offer up, painted them black legitimately for the scrape protection. Ripped them off the first parking block they touched

·
Registered
2019 RT Scat Pack 6MT Sublime Green
112 Posts
The dealership you buy your car from should remove them before you take the possession. However, many of them do not do that. The reason why you should remove them has been already told by many other members, but you decide what you want. If you remove them, keep them and try to sell them on ebay or something.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's kinda like the student driver decal, except they warn oncoming traffic that a newbie is behind the wheel of a rear wheel drive car, possibly with more horsepower than anyone needs and also that the driver may be using a manual transmission for the first time. Just think of it as a visual public service announcement.

·
Super Moderator
13,964 Posts
Before they started putting these shipping protectors on Challenger front spoilers, they simply used this SRT warning tag and notice.

SRT 001.JPG
SRT2 001.JPG

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
What do the yellow cover/covers on the front air dam/spoiler indicate? I have seen them on GT's and higher powered models, or not at all on these same models. Either one yellow cover across the entire spoiler, or a left and right corner cover.
As others have already stated they are shipping covers. The corners of the splitter can drag and these keep the splitter from getting damaged before the car is sold.

The covers are supposed to be removed by the dealer. This instruction is molded into the plastic.

I bought two cars from two different dealers. In both cases the covers were left on. I did not ask for this I was not asked if I wanted them left on. At the time I probably thought since they were on the car as delivered to me they were supposed to be left on. Only later did I learn they were not supposed to be left on.

Most of the time when I take the car in for service I just forget about the covers. I have other things on my mind.

But I have had the presence of mind to now ask several times these be removed. One time the servcie advisor told me they are supposed to be left on the car. This before someone here told me -- after I mentioned this -- the dealer is supposed to remove these as part of the (pretty much non-existent) PDI.

Another time I asked the things be removed and the tech could not figure out how to remove them.

Have to mention every time I pull out of my driveway or enter it the splitter protectors do their job. I can hear them touching the pavement. And my driveway is not the only driveway or parking lot entrance/exit the splitter drags.

My Hellcat has over 22K miles the covers on their bottom surfaces are a bit worse for the wear but the splitter is intact and undamaged.

At some point I might take the time to look online on how to remove these and remove them but frankly I have much more important things to do with my time.

Oh, and I have touched upon this before but I like to bring it up every time this subject comes up. That some big shot Dodge designer has his panties in a twist because owners -- he believes but which is not the case at least in my case -- asked these covers be left on and has undertaken an attempt to come up with a color that forces the owner to remove these is just GD silly. And it speaks volumes about what is wrong with Dodge, its dealer network, and how it and its dealers perceive their customers.

One reason why I probably won't be buying another Dodge. When I buy my next car I will remove the splitters and mail then to Dodge headquarters with a letter stating the dealer failed to follow instructions as per what is written (molded) in the splitter cover plastic. Perhaps Mr Super Duper designer needs to come up with a color Dodge dealers find ugly enough to force them to remove the covers. Apparently the dealers can' read. I will also include a picture of my new car -- not a Dodge -- with instructions to let me know when Dodge has this splitter cover business resolved. Then I will buy another Dodge.

NOT!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mine are off. Dealers have their head so far up their ass that you can’t get get a coherent answer from any of them.

·
Premium Member
9,426 Posts
As others have already stated they are shipping covers. The corners of the splitter can drag and these keep the splitter from getting damaged before the car is sold.

The covers are supposed to be removed by the dealer. This instruction is molded into the plastic.

I bought two cars from two different dealers. In both cases the covers were left on. I did not ask for this I was not asked if I wanted them left on. At the time I probably thought since they were on the car as delivered to me they were supposed to be left on. Only later did I learn they were not supposed to be left on.

Most of the time when I take the car in for service I just forget about the covers. I have other things on my mind.

But I have had the presence of mind to now ask several times these be removed. One time the servcie advisor told me they are supposed to be left on the car. This before someone here told me -- after I mentioned this -- the dealer is supposed to remove these as part of the (pretty much non-existent) PDI.

Another time I asked the things be removed and the tech could not figure out how to remove them.

Have to mention every time I pull out of my driveway or enter it the splitter protectors do their job. I can hear them touching the pavement. And my driveway is not the only driveway or parking lot entrance/exit the splitter drags.

My Hellcat has over 22K miles the covers on their bottom surfaces are a bit worse for the wear but the splitter is intact and undamaged.

At some point I might take the time to look online on how to remove these and remove them but frankly I have much more important things to do with my time.

Oh, and I have touched upon this before but I like to bring it up every time this subject comes up. That some big shot Dodge designer has his panties in a twist because owners -- he believes but which is not the case at least in my case -- asked these covers be left on and has undertaken an attempt to come up with a color that forces the owner to remove these is just GD silly. And it speaks volumes about what is wrong with Dodge, its dealer network, and how it and its dealers perceive their customers.

One reason why I probably won't be buying another Dodge. When I buy my next car I will remove the splitters and mail then to Dodge headquarters with a letter stating the dealer failed to follow instructions as per what is written (molded) in the splitter cover plastic. Perhaps Mr Super Duper designer needs to come up with a color Dodge dealers find ugly enough to force them to remove the covers. Apparently the dealers can' read. I will also include a picture of my new car -- not a Dodge -- with instructions to let me know when Dodge has this splitter cover business resolved. Then I will buy another Dodge.
A new spoiler isn’t so expensive that if yours gets scuffed now and again you can simply replace it. My driveway is on a significant hill and I never scrape the unguarded spoiler, just turn in on an angle to go one tire then the other.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts