Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I must admit I left mine on because I get a kick trolling people who hate them. I read an article a while back in C&D or R&T where the author spoke about how much he liked them. They reminded him of the yellow warning paint on WWII aircraft propellers. I named my car P47 in honor of that. Besides, sort of matched my throwback CA license plate.

View attachment 995871
If you named it F6F would that be upbadging?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
If you named it P-51 would it start seeking crowds?

A Guy

·
Registered
640 Posts
They should make these trigger a light on the dash when installed. Or make some crazy noise when driving. Pink didnt work. Hell maybe even void the warranty if left installed. If your going to leave them on no telling what else theyre going to do to the rest of the car, probably put ford emblems on it. Or upbadge it. Waiting to see hellcat emblems on an sxt show up.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
I still say make them biodegradable, easy enough to make them out of soy or something. If they don't fall apart quickly enough, rodents love soy...

A Guy

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I must admit I left mine on because I get a kick trolling people who hate them. I read an article a while back in C&D or R&T where the author spoke about how much he liked them. They reminded him of the yellow warning paint on WWII aircraft propellers. I named my car P47 in honor of that. Besides, sort of matched my throwback CA license plate.

View attachment 995871
here they are clearly visible on a P40E

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,849 Posts
Well in automotive racing, yellow stripes on the front or back indicate a rookie, so the other drivers can use caution around them...
Also as far as protectors, I noticed some curls from scuffing under my chin spoiler (rubbed them right off with the top of my sneakers/laces) and they really only were in the middle, so they wouldn't have helped me anyway. I realize they are for loading on and off of trucks/delivery ramps, not for daily driving.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
463 Posts
Reactions: 19Scat

·
Registered
2 Posts
My selling dealer left them on, I left the dealership with 29 miles on the car got home with 69 miles on the car. The next morning I remove the guards and the spoiler was all scratched up, and filled with dirt. The damn things say right on them to be removed by the dealer. I called the dealer and they refuse to address the issue, along with several others. I complained to Dodge corporate, they are paying another dealer to replace the spoiler. I guess some dealers don't even car that they are damaging your new car, much less take responsibility for the damage they have done. I sure couldn't live with the guards left on my car.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
They should make these trigger a light on the dash when installed. Or make some crazy noise when driving. Pink didnt work. Hell maybe even void the warranty if left installed. If your going to leave them on no telling what else theyre going to do to the rest of the car, probably put ford emblems on it. Or upbadge it. Waiting to see hellcat emblems on an sxt show up.
Apparently you have not been paying attention. In a number of cases it was not the owner who asked the protectors be left on it was the dealer failing to do its job and leaving them on.

When I picked up my Scat Pack I noted they were on but because they were on thought they belonged.

Not even sure 2 months later I was aware they should have been removed. When I picked up my Hellcat I as was not thinking about the covers. I had on my mind more important things like managing a 50 mile drive home through central valley traffic in rush hour in a brand new Hellcat. I had the break in guidelines in my head. Then I noticed the tire air pressures were 45psi. That is two dealers who failed to even set the tire pressures correctly.

When I take the car in for service I most of the time forget about the covers. One time I asked they be removed and the SA told me they are supposed to be left on the car. Then I learned instructions that they are to be removed is molded into the plastic. At another dealer the tech tried to remove them then the SA got involved and neither one was able to get them off.

I'll remove them eventually when I buy a house and have a portable lift.

In the case of where dealers leave these on Dodge should shoot the dealer. That would I think get the attention of the rest of the dealers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rockster,
So funny, my tires were at 49 psi each. Its crazy how they charge you for pre delivery prep, and don't do any prep. My car was missing one of the roof moldings!! I get the drive home, just waiting for someone or something to screw the car up before you even get her in the garage for the first time.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Apparently you have not been paying attention. In a number of cases it was not the owner who asked the protectors be left on it was the dealer failing to do its job and leaving them on.

When I picked up my Scat Pack I noted they were on but because they were on thought they belonged.

Not even sure 2 months later I was aware they should have been removed. When I picked up my Hellcat I as was not thinking about the covers. I had on my mind more important things like managing a 50 mile drive home through central valley traffic in rush hour in a brand new Hellcat. I had the break in guidelines in my head. Then I noticed the tire air pressures were 45psi. That is two dealers who failed to even set the tire pressures correctly.

When I take the car in for service I most of the time forget about the covers. One time I asked they be removed and the SA told me they are supposed to be left on the car. Then I learned instructions that they are to be removed is molded into the plastic. At another dealer the tech tried to remove them then the SA got involved and neither one was able to get them off.

I'll remove them eventually when I buy a house and have a portable lift.

In the case of where dealers leave these on Dodge should shoot the dealer. That would I think get the attention of the rest of the dealers.
Dont see how you think these are suppose to be left on. Says right on them "TO BE REMOVED BY DEALER". not my fault YOU bought a car and didnt check it out before buying it. I would have dam sure asked about the god awful ugly things and asked for them to be removed prior to me signing anything. Guess you should have done more homework instead of just buying the name " HELLCAT" and not doing your homework prior to purchase.
Hell theres enough posts and info on the internet that anyone should research before buying any vehicle. Especially if you CANT work on them and rely on a dealer to service any issue that comes up. 18 year old kids the dealers hire dont know crap, this is why RESEARCH is important for any market. Its your paint that gets chewed up and not mine.
Just like tire pressure. Youve got a gauge on the dash that tells you tire pressures for all 4 wheels. If you see its 49 and youve owned enough cars to know tire pressure should be 32, again thats your fault for driving away from the dealer without checking the car first. I mean come on YOU have to take responsibility for checking everything before taking possession. Could have been big scratch and you wouldnt even know it til its too late.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Dont see how you think these are suppose to be left on. Says right on them "TO BE REMOVED BY DEALER". not my fault YOU bought a car and didnt check it out before buying it. I would have dam sure asked about the god awful ugly things and asked for them to be removed prior to me signing anything. Guess you should have done more homework instead of just buying the name " HELLCAT" and not doing your homework prior to purchase.
Hell theres enough posts and info on the internet that anyone should research before buying any vehicle. Especially if you CANT work on them and rely on a dealer to service any issue that comes up. 18 year old kids the dealers hire dont know crap, this is why RESEARCH is important for any market. Its your paint that gets chewed up and not mine.
Just like tire pressure. Youve got a gauge on the dash that tells you tire pressures for all 4 wheels. If you see its 49 and youve owned enough cars to know tire pressure should be 32, again thats your fault for driving away from the dealer without checking the car first. I mean come on YOU have to take responsibility for checking everything before taking possession. Could have been big scratch and you wouldnt even know it til its too late.
Really I had a number of things on my mind and the yellow protectors were just not that high up the priority list. Sure I saw them but I trusted the dealer to have removed any shipping protectors prior to rolling the car out to me. Thus I assumed they belonged. With another car with a very expensive ($400) air dam I welcomed anything that offered to protect the air dam on the new Hellcat even though I learned later it was considerably less expensive than $400.

I did not know about the "To Be Removed By Dealer" molded in until at least a year after I bought the car. I never got down on the ground to look a the things.

Besides, I have to point out that is obviously intended for the DEALER not the customer.

I did some online research regarding the Hellcat but I never came upon any threads about splitter protectors. 'course, I never searched for "what should dealers remove that they don't remove" threads.

As for tire pressure I again assumed the pressures would be set right. When taking delivery of my Scat Pack I saw the 45psi tire pressure displayed and I asked and the sales manager outright lied to me and said the pressures were correct.

As for knowing tires pressures should be 32psi based on the tire pressures of my other cars... My Boxster tire pressures were 29F and 36R. My Porsche 996 Turbo tire pressures were 36F and 44R. My MINI JCW tire pressures were 42F and 39R, for speeds up to 100mph. Slightly higher over 100mph. The Turbo weighed in at around 3400lbs. The Scat Pack weighed in around 1000lbs heavier. In some way the 45psi seemed plausible. And after all I had the sales manager confirming the tire pressures were correct.

Two months later at another dealer to buy the Hellcat I knew about the tires. I did not yet know about the splitters.

In the case of Hellcat I knew the tire pressures were wrong and rather than spend any more time at the dealer with which I was growing more disgusted with every second, I just drove off the lot and a few blocks away stopped at a gas station and set the tire pressures using a gauge I had with me.

So I guess with Dodge not only one must do all the research for market prices, incentives, lease and finance details, etc., but he must also familiarize himself with the proper pre delivery procedure to ensure the car is delivered properly prepared in case the dealer doesn't fullfil its obligation in this regard.

Two times a dealer delivered a new car to me with the tires overinflated. And yet when I take the car in the invoice has this:

B SET AND ADJUST TIRE PRESSURE TO FACTORY SPECS AND DOCUMENT

So every time the car is for service tire pressure are checked and set to factory specs but when taking delivering of the car the customer can only be assured (probably) there is at least some air in the damn tires.

But you feel it is always the customer that is at fault in these situations.

This appears to be be in agreement with Dodge management hence the info some designer was all upset about these protectors being left on cars and was striving to come up with an uglier color that would force the customer to remove the protectors. This fails to acknowledge the fault is not with the customer but with Dodge's GD dealers who can't even remove protectors which have molded into the plastic they are to be removed by the dealer. I would suggest rather than bothering with coming up with an uglier color the designer come up with an invention that allows dealers to read the writing on the protectors. Maybe eyeglasses? Oh wait... they already exist. How about something that raises dealer IQ above that of a cold slice of buttered toast?

Or even recognize there could be a market for these protectors? I just had these removed the other day when I had the car in for a new radio. Only took 2.5 years to finally get a dealer to do what it should have done prior to the car being handed over to me. The bottoms of the protectors are worn through from the things dragging on the pavement.

If Dodge offered a set of these in flat black I'd buy them and replace them to protect the splitter.

It is the attitude of Dodge towards its customers when the fault is with its dealers that has convinced me my Hellcat is the last Dodge I'll own. Unless that head designer can come up with a splitter protector color that makes me have to have another Dodge...

41 - 56 of 56 Posts