Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the rumor talk about the new hellcat me and my friends have been talking about how many 392 owners will be trading or selling there current 392. But as a current 392 owner it makes the decision for me even more difficult I love my Yellow Jacket but the only thing I want is a supercharger and it is the perfect car for me and I got it because of its exclusivity very rare. However, in getting my Yellow Jacket the way I want I clearly jeopardize the warranty so my friend told me just wait for the Hellcat. But for me it depends on the price, is the Hellcat going to be a limited car like Yellow Jacket, and of course the performance number are actually true from the rumor talk. I am suppose to be getting the car supercharged in a month but with the rumor talk has kind of put me on standby because that type of power with warranty is hard not to put in consideration. So 392 owners especially Yellow Jacket Owners please if you would give me your take on the new Hellcat rumors and would you consider giving up your Yellow Jacket?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
i have a 392 supercharged green with envy. I like the sublime but seeing them side by side i prefer the GWE. warranty? if i was worried about it i wouldn't have a supercharger now. hellcat? probably $10K or more than you could do it for aftermarket so there is your warranty.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
i have a 392 supercharged green with envy. I like the sublime but seeing them side by side i prefer the GWE. warranty? if i was worried about it i wouldn't have a supercharger now. hellcat? probably $10K or more than you could do it for aftermarket so there is your warranty.
I'm looking at SC'ing my GWE this year too. I'd love to see some pics of your car hdwrenchtx. Which SC'er did you install. Any forged internals?

I see and hear so many people getting hung up on warranties. My take is warranties are for people who don't "KNOW" people (mechanics or performance people in the business) or who don't know how to turn a wrench themselves. The Challenger is a MUSCLE car......its gonna get modded or at least mine is. I NEVER buy new cars but I'm careful as heck buying used ones. Both of my "used" Challengers were/are head turners and heavily modded.

OP.... IF you really like that Yellow Jacket supercharge it. You said it yourself......"the only thing I want is a supercharger and it is the perfect car for me ". Why are you talking yourself out of it or letting others talk you out of it. I think GWE owners are even more exclusive than YJ owners.....only 887 of SRT GWE's. Hdwrenchtx is right and I agree with him. He's probably low on his estimate of $10K. Your probably going to have a better performing car done the way YOU want it if you SC your YJ........ for far less $$. The rumors of a Hellcat for $70k'ish sound crazy to me. Just my 2 cents...............:5:

·
Registered
260 Posts
You get a new interior and interface updates with the Hellcat, not just the factory SC. I think with the Hellcat price tag, it would be even more rare than YJ. For me, I will keep my YJ and put my money on a slightly used Viper or a new Z06 (jk).

·
Registered
880 Posts
I yellow jacket I think will still stand out with the hellcat on the streets.

No one will ever be able to keep up with The Jones'. I have a warranty too but mine is fully loaded plus with all the computer controlled stuff I'd be on the fence.

I know alil something plus ppl and my brother is a mechanic so but there not always available when you need them.

Question is, do you drive your car Or do you DRIVE your car!?!?. I DRIVE my car so I use what 470hp I'm given and love it. Yeah I want more but I use what I have already whereas some guys have 500+ rwhp and don't hit boost.

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
Keep what you have, don't buy into all the marketing hype. You have plenty of car now.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I plan on keeping mine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ditto...keeping mine. I love everything about the Yellow Jacket and that it is an SRT8. Don't feel the need or desire to get anything else. Plus the SRT brand has grown beyond what I'm willing to pay for a car. Jeep SRT $65,000; Challenger Hellcat $70,000+.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
First and foremost, a couple of excellent responses to the ops "conundrum" already -but- here's my .02 cents.

To begin with, and in truth, beyond a handful of engineers and execs at Dodge, what exactly do we consumers really know about the Hellcat - frankly, very little.

Beyond the fact (?) that it will be a supercharged Challenger, of sorts, what do we really know? The whole damn thing, frankly, is a mixture of conjecture and rumor, all of which results in bit of a mystery; that is, beyond a supercharged 6.2L/6.4L powerplant and a rumored $70-75K pricetag we are we really talking about?

So...............it would be difficult for me, for instance, to "hold out" for something that may or may not satisfy, or for that matter, may or may not even be released within the rumored timeframe.

Now, and with regard to price............if that "$75K-ish" hold true, it's only a relatively small leap to a gently used Viper which I'm certain can be had for between $90 and $100K - particularly when 2015 models hit the market. While the Viper is not only tangible, whereas it's value can be measured, it will almost have to be quicker, with a far more exotic look, than a Hellcat !!

That is not a prediction as I don't have clue about Hellcat performance -but- how in the world can Chrysler/Dodge possibly release a product that outruns their "flagship" performance product at a significantly lower "sticker price?"

So................I'll keep my Yellow Jacket, which I'm very satisfied with, and if I get "bit" by a very high-performance bug, I'll either head straight to "Viperland," passing the Hellcat on the way there -or- give HHP or Arrington 10 to 15 "large" and tell them to turn my Yellow Jacket into an SR-71, with regard to performance, anyway !!

Good luck, and...........

Best regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,997 Posts
I can't really use what my Yellow Jacket already offers me. More horsepower is awesome but not at $70k, it's still just a Challenger, might as well get a Viper or something. I have spent way too much money on cars in my life, will I want more? Probably, but I can't keep up with the constant upgrades and such. I just got this Yellow Jacket a week or so ago, it's awesome and much better than my 08 SRT!

I may get another '15 or '16 SRT down the road, but it won't be just about horsepower it will be for all the little improved items.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Did what I did and go with the Edelbrock E-Force and you can purchase a warranty through them. I have a full power train warranty for another 36 months and they will pay up to 20k for engine damage depending the level you pay for. All you have to do is use their tune and installer and you're good!! ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399904590.508626.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
I will be keeping my YJ. I feel that as a muscle car it has what I want power, performance, looks and style. Plus the first time my wife saw it at the dealership she said "It's sex on wheels and you need to buy it" so I did enough said..........

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
I will be keeping my YJ. I feel that as a muscle car it has what I want power, performance, looks and style. Plus the first time my wife saw it at the dealership she said "It's sex on wheels and you need to buy it" so I did enough said..........
She gets the Best Wife award.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My wife and I went to look at cars, There just happened to be a YJ there, She was all about trading in my R/T and it just happened to be my birthday.
Keep in mind the 1st year of anything new can be full of potential problems

·
Premium Member
2015 SRT 392
667 Posts
i have a hurst edition yellow jacket. is yours factory or was it after market? just wondering.. i just got it
Holy thread resurrection, Batman. Everyone on this original post is dead an buried or have bought Fords.

Curious to know how many 'Hurst' Yellow Jackets were made.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Holy thread resurrection, Batman. Everyone on this original post is dead an buried or have bought Fords.

Curious to know how many 'Hurst' Yellow Jackets were made.
My YJ is well alive and kicking. Never heard of a Hurst yellow jacket.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Dead? Not yet.....And I ain't buy'in no Furd either.....lmao!

And I still have my YJ. Hurst Edition YJ's? Never saw one and never knew Hurst even offered any direct from Hurst. If they did, ok.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Yeah I still have mine too. It's a keeper. I've never heard of a hurst YJ either. Post a pic of that build sheet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts