Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2019 Challenger RT
98 Posts
Had similar dots when I got my white challenger off the dealer lot. Like others have mentioned, those orange dots are from industrial fallout/ brake dust and can be taken out. Couple bars of clar bar, iron remover and a weeked going over all the paint got rid of them. After that, puting some form of sealant/wax/coating should help prevent them from coming back.

· Registered
384 Posts
Thats RUST. One can call it contamination but its metal thats now rusting. But its only in the clear coat NOT the factory paint! Its usually referred to as "Rail Head Dust" and can happen anywhere one lives near train tracks OR it could simply be the brake dust coming off ur own brake pads and rotors.

I would CAUTION u about using a clay bar cause u risk dragging the little metal bits across the clear coat and causing more damage. Again, its METAL.

Just stick to the Iron remover it will remove it just fine. WD-40 will work just as good if u dont have an Iron remover.

Try a different brake pad and or rotor. I would ceremic coat ur car to help protect it from that dust in the future cause again its either ur own cars brakes or u live near train tracks and cross them often.

· Registered
598 Posts
Thats RUST. One can call it contamination but its metal thats now rusting. But its only in the clear coat NOT the factory paint! Its usually referred to as "Rail Head Dust" and can happen anywhere one lives near train tracks OR it could simply be the brake dust coming off ur own brake pads and rotors.

I would CAUTION u about using a clay bar cause u risk dragging the little metal bits across the clear coat and causing more damage. Again, its METAL.

Just stick to the Iron remover it will remove it just fine. WD-40 will work just as good if u dont have an Iron remover.

Try a different brake pad and or rotor. I would ceremic coat ur car to help protect it from that dust in the future cause again its either ur own cars brakes or u live near train tracks and cross them often.
I mean, it is contamination 😅 metal contaminated the clear coat, now it’s rusting. If you hit it with an iron remover and clay bar after you should be fine, claying will mar the paint anyway. Considering how contaminated the paint is I’m willing to bet it would need a good clay too after the chemical decon. Iron removers help soften the contaminants but it’s not going to remove them 100%, that’s where claying comes in.

I’ve never heard of using WD-40 on iron deposits, I’ll have to test that out! I use WD-40 quite a bit in detailing, it really is versatile.

· Registered
2019 F8 Green 1320
183 Posts
Definitely rail dust as others have mentioned (which is iron and does rust). I had a white ZL1 and used just the iron remover spray - shown below - and followed the directions with no problems, but it may take two applications if it does not come out the first time. At least give that a try before going the clay bar route.

Meguiar's D2002 Iron Removing Spray Clay, 32 oz. RTU (meguiarsdirect.com)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts