Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '12 R/T is out of warranty and Dodge (in their infinite wisdom) never recalled the crappy smart glass on the '12 and up Challengers. Everything works fine except the driver's window won't go up that 1/4" after the door is closed. By elimination I am guessing that it is the latch switch that has failed so that the car cannot sense that the door is closed. Has anyone changed out the latch-switch and had success with it?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yes it's a bad smartglass switch and it will fix your problem. To my knowledge fca does not sell it separate. But it is attached with 2 screws. You might order a used latch assembly and save some $$ if you cant purchase the switch separate

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did purchase it separately. 70 cents a pair from Tasca parts. Replaced, did the window memory trick and voila, it works. Bought 3 pairs in case another fails. It was a PITA to get into the door panel, but like you said (after you get everything apart) two screws and problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
If you have the part#, post it here. May help someone searching with the same problem ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wanted to do that yesterday but couldn't find it and got busy. Here it is:

CEA1M241AA

·
Registered
4 Posts
2012 SXT Plus Challenger Smart Glass failure.

I did purchase it separately. 70 cents a pair from Tasca parts. Replaced, did the window memory trick and voila, it works. Bought 3 pairs in case another fails. It was a PITA to get into the door panel, but like you said (after you get everything apart) two screws and problem solved.
Thanks for the help guys! My 2012 Challenger passenger door window started doing the "window cycling" thing. Could close the window, but as soon as the car was turned off and I opened the door, the passenger window would drop 1/2" and then go back up, then cycle again and again every 5-10 seconds or so. The only way to stop it was to drop the window an inch and leave it. I have tried several other methods of resetting the glass with no avail. Just ordered the switchs, p/n:CEA1M241AA from Tasca Auto Parts. Hope it saves me the $100 bucks for the entire assembly that FCA wants!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! My 2012 Challenger passenger door window started doing the "window cycling" thing. Could close the window, but as soon as the car was turned off and I opened the door, the passenger window would drop 1/2" and then go back up, then cycle again and again every 5-10 seconds or so. The only way to stop it was to drop the window an inch and leave it. I have tried several other methods of resetting the glass with no avail. Just ordered the switchs, p/n:CEA1M241AA from Tasca Auto Parts. Hope it saves me the $100 bucks for the entire assembly that FCA wants!
Did the part by chance ship yet? I ordered the part from Tasca as well since my driver door is doing the up and down every few seconds. Searching a few other sites, it seems the part may be discontinued.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, I ordered 4 sets and they should be here by 03/29
If you indeed got the parts consider yourself lucky. I tried ordering and after 2 weeks of back and forth, tasca says they can't get the part because it is restricted by Chrysler. I gave them my VIN and Mileage and Chrysler rejected the order. So I guess I keep hunting for the part. I do not plan on spending 100+ to replace the whole latch when all I need is a 35 cent switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smart Glass fix 2012 Dodge Challenger

If you indeed got the parts consider yourself lucky. I tried ordering and after 2 weeks of back and forth, tasca says they can't get the part because it is restricted by Chrysler. I gave them my VIN and Mileage and Chrysler rejected the order. So I guess I keep hunting for the part. I do not plan on spending 100+ to replace the whole latch when all I need is a 35 cent switch.
I received the switches. got them installed and after reprogramming the windows, everything is functioning properly.
In the process, I checked the voltage of the old switch and it had dropped 4+ volts causing the door module to cycle the
glass up and down about ever 7 seconds.
If anyone is looking here is the OEM Mopar part number:CEA1M241AA.

I can't post the link because my "post count" is to low.
The company that has stock is: moparpartsgiant. Search for it on the web.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I received the switches. got them installed and after reprogramming the windows, everything is functioning properly.
In the process, I checked the voltage of the old switch and it had dropped 4+ volts causing the door module to cycle the
glass up and down about ever 7 seconds.

Hope this helps.
I called around to local dealers and found 1, so I was able to get this fixed.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts

Hope this helps.
once you get to 5 posts, you'll be able to post attachments, links

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger SRT8
14 Posts
I've been a reader on here for a bit and have found a lot of useful information.

I just bought a 2012 SRT Challenger a few months ago and have already found the info I needed to take care of the few small things I found on the car. I noticed this issue a few weeks ago but it hasn't been consistent. I called Mopar Parts Giants and they in fact do still have the switches in stock so I ordered a couple of them. Then I found the actual TSB and downloaded it in PDF if anyone wants to see how it is to be done.

Thanks for a very helpful and informative forum.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
i don't know if this is section but concerns the window. about a month or so ago my '17 when i shut my drivers door it makes a loud squeak & as the window goes up makes an squeak. window seems to be working fine. i've lubed all the rubber around the door & window, shot some wd40 down the little gap where window in down position leaves open, then tried some soap. nothing seems to get rid of it. not a mechanic. the preceding file talks about the switch, but mine noise sounds more like a motor of some type. anybody have anything similar.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Semperfiarms ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger SRT8
14 Posts
Update, even after calling and confirming they had them in stock, it turns out that Mopar Parts Giants did not have any on the shelves. Nor did several other online parts companies even though their web sites said they had stock.

Ending up calling one of my local Dodge dealers and he did a dealer search and found one in Lagrange GA. A two and a half hour ride for me. I called them and they did have ONE on the shelf. I was able to talk the guy into shipping it to me. Sad I had to spend an additional $10 shipping for a $1 switch. It should be delivered today and I'll install it on Friday.

The smart glass was acting up this past weekend but yesterday and today it is working fine. Like I said earlier, it's not a consistent problem but these things never fix themselves.

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Update, even after calling and confirming they had them in stock, it turns out that Mopar Parts Giants did not have any on the shelves. Nor did several other online parts companies even though their web sites said they had stock.

Ending up calling one of my local Dodge dealers and he did a dealer search and found one in Lagrange GA. A two and a half hour ride for me. I called them and they did have ONE on the shelf. I was able to talk the guy into shipping it to me. Sad I had to spend an additional $10 shipping for a $1 switch. It should be delivered today and I'll install it on Friday.

The smart glass was acting up this past weekend but yesterday and today it is working fine. Like I said earlier, it's not a consistent problem but these things never fix themselves.

Chris
I had the same issue. Waited almost a month for tasca to get it and they kept asking for more info, then finally said dodge denied it and they had to cancel it. I also tried 2 other online mopar sites and one(east coast mopar) even wrote me an email after I ordered saying they didn't have them in stock and they don't sell recall parts. I called a couple dealers in my area and found one that had one in stock. It ended up costing 1.99 for it and a 30 min or so drive. The funny thing is the box had a label on it with the name of the customer they ordered it for and the date was over a year ago.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I called few dealerships in town and everyone refused to sell me it or order it and were very surprised that I had that part number telling me that it cannot be sold but only the dealership had to repair it. Finally I called one dealer who said same thing then questioned how I had the part number and I told him its from my online Challenger page how a bunch of guys were able to purchase these from their dealerships all over the country...he said that they really shouldn't be allowed to do that but he will order it for me anyway lol. Thanks guys

1 - 20 of 38 Posts