Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Been living with a vibration when applying brakes (especially at high speed) and knew the rotors were warped, sure were...
Both Front Rotors were warped, you can see only certain area's were hitting and some areas were burnt or really screwed

Got dark on me as I was finishing so tomorrow I'll torque the wheels and take it out to bed in the Brakes and give it a try

WHAT DO I TORQUE THE WHEELS TO ???

View attachment 1037235 View attachment 1037236 View attachment 1037237 View attachment 1037238 View attachment 1037239
I got some pretty much new 6 piston brembos and rotors off my redeye with 2k miles im selling if your interested for your front.
Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle Bicycle saddle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Wheel Rim Tire Automotive wheel system

There is a lot of inaccurate or inconsistent information in here. So I'll try to clarify it again. SRT and Scat Pack models are 111 ft-lb.

I'm not going to make this up. Lug nut torque is a pretty important thing. Always look it up.

This isn't an "updated" spec. Rather a clarified one. in Service information, a Scat Pack was normally considered an SRT because it uses SRT components in brakes, suspension etc. Even the alignment specs are this way. Same for brake torque specs and procedures.

If you read between the lines and use common sense, you know that. I reached out for clarification on it because there was confusion.
I guess that makes sense but still for something this important, it's amazing we've got to jump through these hoops to get some information.

It looks like the torque spec by 2015 was changed to the 130 lbs so that is at least 7 model years the owners manual would have been wrong!!

The service manual back before the 130 said for aluminum wheels use 110 lbs and for SRT8 (4-piston brakes) it also said 110 lbs but didn't see a spec in the Owner's Manual I guess because you had no spare.

So what gives? Is it possible that with the larger M14 studs they needed more stretch to hold the nuts secure so the torque went up but only the Owner's Manual showed this change?

It might be just another cluster&$#@ at Dodge where one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

So what a mess and who to believe?

Be nice to know what Brampton uses. I do know that after driving my 16 about 100 miles or so I checked the lug nuts and almost all were loose, several were in the 90 lb range.

Is a lug torque check part of the PDI? Don't know but definitely don't assume your dealer is checking them.

And Dodge if you're listening, please get this straight in the Owner's Manual.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the input. I set them at 111 and took it out to Bed In the Brakes and what a difference. Car has never stopped so well since I've owned it and no more insane vibrations at high speed braking. Thanks for everyone's help (y) (had i known earlier chillx i would have considered those 6 piston)
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

I guess that makes sense but still for something this important, it's amazing we've got to jump through these hoops to get some information.

It looks like the torque spec by 2015 was changed to the 130 lbs so that is at least 7 model years the owners manual would have been wrong!!

The service manual back before the 130 said for aluminum wheels use 110 lbs and for SRT8 (4-piston brakes) it also said 110 lbs but didn't see a spec in the Owner's Manual I guess because you had no spare.

So what gives? Is it possible that with the larger M14 studs they needed more stretch to hold the nuts secure so the torque went up but only the Owner's Manual showed this change?

It might be just another cluster&$#@ at Dodge where one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

So what a mess and who to believe?

Be nice to know what Brampton uses. I do know that after driving my 16 about 100 miles or so I checked the lug nuts and almost all were loose, several were in the 90 lb range.

Is a lug torque check part of the PDI? Don't know but definitely don't assume your dealer is checking them.

Here's where it gets interesting. The torque spec actually changed for 2011. Not 2015. In 2010, it was 110 ft-lbs for base OR for SRT. In 2011, it's 130 for base or 111 for SRT.

If you remember, 2011 got 22 mm lug nuts, and quite a few changes in the suspension to improve handling (alignment specs, introduction of EHPS for V6 and R/T, different lower control arms, bushing sizes, front shocks, and wheel bearings). This is likely what prompted them to re-evaluate the torque specs for all models. That's when the 130 ft-lb came along for R/T and V6 models. For whatever reason, SRTs stayed around 110, or specifically 111. Possibly due to rotors or lighter wheels, I don't know the exact reason.

When the Scat Pack came out, it mostly used the 2011 SRT components (Or 2013-14 SRT Core as you guys in the States got). Rotors, hubs, shocks, knuckles etc. My best guess of what happened, is that when they introduced the Scat Pack, they forgot to update the specs to specify Scat Pack in addition to SRT. Or they just assumed that we would figure it out.

Who to believe? Published service info as always. Just as long as you were previously aware that a Scat Pack is treated as an SRT when it comes to specs for wheels and tires, brakes, suspension or alignment.

I agree they should have been more clear about it this whole time.

Reactions: Slidd
Discussion starter · #26 ·
I can tell you this, I have an electronic and mech Torque Wrench and I would not want to put them more than 111. To be honest they were pretty much spot on for what i did yesterday by hand when it started getting dark. Maybe 3 moved a hair and then clicked so I guess i have a built in 110 Tq Wrench by feel, LOL....

Tell you one thing I would not even attempt or consider tightening MINE to 130, (110 /111 was plenty tight and I'll check them after a few rides).

That would be considered expense work (as opposed to capital investment?), and as such, I highly doubt anyone with the power to approve such expenditures would ever actually do it.

I do the similar thing after I rotate the tires after ~ 100 - 150 miles, I'll recheck the lug nut torque.

After they've gone through a few heat cycles, I'll re-torque and then they'll hold until the next rotation.

PS: the quick guide has the wrong value; my '16 owners manual calls out 130 ft.lb. for the lug nuts (Scat Pack 392 Shaker)

I've been using 110 lb-ft both on my 15 Scat and my '19 1320....haven't had vibrations or a wheel fall off yet.

Reactions: Robs16Hellcat
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.