Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a Whipple 2.9L on my 2012 6.4L SRT8. It came time to pin the crank, but my strap wrench was too short to hold the crank steady, so it moved while I tightened it down. Now that I'm done, the engine is throwing an error code P0340 stating the cam position sensor is off and I'm sure I caused it when pinning the crank. But how do I repair that? And input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmmmm i don't know man. Mine moved a little while I installed mine but never got a code. I have a 5.7 maybe that's why

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
I really doubt it is because the crankshaft shifted a little. The cam position sensor is on the side of the front cover between the upper radiator hose connection and the head on the left side. Make sure its fully seated and the connector and wires are in good condition.

Good Luck!

-Kenny

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1, the cam position will rotate with the crank so it stays in time to the crank, to get the cam to rotate independently from the crank, you would have to physically remove the timing chain. I'm not sure why the instructions warn you not to rotate the crank. also agree to check the cam position sensor connector and wiring.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You Guys Were Right

Yep, the wiring harness for the cam position sensor wasn't fully seated, must have knocked it out of whack when I was installing the new t'stat housing. Reinstalled it, cleared that code and took it for a test drive. After 10 minutes, it started to buck and hump, threw a code P0112 Intake Air Temp sensor - oh man! More investigation needed, hope it's as simple as the first code. Thanks, guys!:smile:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removed and reinstalled the IAT sensor harness, the motor started right up. Took it for another test ride, something's not 100%, power comes and goes. Loud noise when I turn the cabin fan on, no difference if the A/C is on or not. This is getting away from me, so I called AJ @ Hemituner Performance and made an appointment. After reading the posts, I just think it's money well spent to get this done right. Sounds to me like a lot of people would be happy to make a 90 minute drive to his shop. I'll follow up after the visit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts