Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always see guys with a few difrent mods put one i under stand the concept but was does it actual do PERFORMANCE WISE

·
Registered
536 Posts
IMHO and i could be wrong, if you have a tune that calls for a 180 degree T-Stat then change it.

However I have had cars where I put a 160 or 180 degree T-Stat in and had issues with it overheating, when I changed the car to a higher degree T-Stat the overheating stopped. This was mostly in part to the T-Stat opening too soon and not allowing the coolant in the radiator cool off.You don't want a T-Stat that is opened all the time nor do you want one that is closed most the time as well. This was on a few cars that did not have computers or a tune.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
i always see guys with a few difrent mods put one i under stand the concept but was does it actual do PERFORMANCE WISE
Best case scenario, installing a 180 T-stat will keep your engine operating temps 20* cooler resulting in less heat soak.

Less heat soak means less timing pulled by the computer resulting in slightly more horsepower.

How much horsepower? Hard to say, but some for sure.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This is a very minor upgrade that gets a lot of attention for some reason IMO. Yes I have a 180 but don't notice much of a difference driving around. If you autocross or go to the drag strip it does become a bigger deal. If you do this remember to adjust fan settings.

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I changed to the 180 deg stat it was a literal thing. The engine ran cooler always. When cruising on the highway I run right at 180 when in traffic and warm out I climb to 215. with the old stat which I believe was a 210 or 220 stat it just ran at the exact deltas.

Ultimately the cooler you can keep the engine, air and coolant the car should perform better - is it measurable - in ideal conditions maybe. Really I look at it as heat kills - keep it as cool as you can without upsetting the ECU.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Heat soak robs a lot more power than you might think. Now that we've had 90* weather here in Omaha I notice a significant difference in peppiness and power with the 180* thermostat installed. In order to get the full benefits of this mod you'll need to adjust to fans to come on sooner.

Car feels stronger (butt dyno) with the t-stat. Having a custom tune probably helps too though. My tune is dialed in pretty darn well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts