Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I’m a bit shook up so I apologize for my rambling.

I was driving My 2016 SXT PLUS today, business as usual on the highway. When I hit 70 mph the car would not go any faster. I slowly took the gas off and put it down again same result.

I got to work unplugged battery for 5 hours thinking maybe it just needed some resetting. Same thing.

I called the dealership and fortunately I bought the platinum extended warranty (whatever that is) but I can’t take it in until next week.

Now back in 2016 I got my exhaust work done at a nonmopar shop, would that affect the warranty ?

So my question to you is that would it be something simple like a sensor ?

My car gets regular maintenance (only the tires need replacing ) it’s at 27k miles and I rarely haul ass, I usually take city streets I was just running late today.

Is there anything I can do to kinda diagnose it before next week?

The tranny doesn’t jerk or anything like that, can’t imagine it’s go bad this soon.

Please give me any advice you can !!

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,873 Posts
Are you experiencing any CEL’s (Check Engine Lights) ?

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
My first check would be to inspect the air filter assembly. There’s a chance some rodent may have recently nested in the air filter housing, resulting in reduced airflow to the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,734 Posts
What are the RPMs at 70MPH? The transmission is in automatic mode, and the car is not in sport mode? When you press down on the gas, you still have pedal travel? Do the RPMs climb? Does the car lug (as if low on gas)? Does it accelerate normally from a stop up to 70?

A Guy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The foot hits the accelerator hard and it won’t budge past 73 mph to be exact. Rpm’s are a bit over 4 and they hold steady too, slowly decreasing

It does feel like it’s lugging when trying to hit past 70. It drives cherry otherwise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nahh screw that, exhaust is after the motor, also has nothing to do with the trans . Totally fightable
Awesome I’ll take it in and report back !

I’m perplexed how a tranny can go bad so soon but I’m grateful I bought the extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
What are thinking attempting to take a v6 over 70mph?? :D

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,734 Posts
Everything is electronic and interconnected, could be a sensor, anything

A Guy

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Over 4000 rpms at 70? You've got something wrong, transmission, converter, ??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Since there’s no CEL’s.......my next thought is perhaps a weak fuel pump or an issue with the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Awesome I’ll take it in and report back !

I’m perplexed how a tranny can go bad so soon but I’m grateful I bought the extended warranty.
Must have been abducted by aliens. :alien:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got my baby back, something computer related. They did the reboot and it’s working just fine now ! My warranty is good till 2021 too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts