Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setting the record straight. You CANNOT fit 275 55r20 on 9” wide rim with 20mm offset on rear on 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T. Not even close. The wheel well is not big enough. You can, however very closely fit 255 45r20 in front and rear. Front is pretty close, but does fit. I’m going through hell here at Goodyear trying to fit the tire I want, and it’s just not happening. I came to put 255 50r20 in front, and 275 55r20 in the rear. That’s a big NO GO. That being said, it can be due to offset for the front, and the rear is just not big enough to fit a 20x9 20mm offset rim with 275 55r20. This is possible that this is just for 2013 models. So what I’m settling with is 245 45r20 in front, and 255 45r20 in the rear. I hope this information helps. Always research offset!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Yup you can fit 275s in the front and 305s in the back with the right offset.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That size is 3.2" taller than stock so it isn't shocking that it does not fit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
245/45/20 front
275/40/20 rear
9" width stock wheels works fine (and the tire overall diameter is 28.7" for front and rear)
2017 RT shaker

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I meant by “setting record straight” was...we had a poster some time back saying he had put 275 55r20’s on his rear successfully with pics, and I thought it looked pretty good and beefy, so I thought I would see if it worked for myself. Also there doesn’t seem to be a clear cut sizing diagram, or information which shows all the different setups or no one ever talks about offsets. Also his may have worked due to different year? Ie: different wheel well size? I dunno it was weird, so I went in the shop and the tech showed me physically that the tire was too big for my 2013 Challenger R/T. I know it’s big, I liked the look, I feel like our challengers have no business having super low pros on them, it looks unnatural, in my own humble opinion. So long story short, I posted to try to help anyone with my particular year, looking for what I was, which was a definitive answer as to what will actually fit. I did a lot of research and I figured I’d try it out and they were game so we did, and now I know that in person WOW it is a tall tire lol. Just want sure. I’m just trying to help is all. In the end I’m gonna put Eibach lowering springs on it to bring it down 1”, or 1.5”. I feel like wheel well space is a waste of space, within reason, and ability to go over bumps or be ready for an occasional pothole. So that was my misguided reason for the 55’s. It looks pretty good now with the 245 45r20 on front with the new rims, and it’s tolerable in back with 255 45r20. That was my first post on here too, since I’m a new Challenger owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Stepping down your wheel size to increase sidewall appearance while maintaining height is an option too. You could go with 18" wheels.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Also there doesn’t seem to be a clear cut sizing diagram, or information which shows all the different setups or no one ever talks about offsets. Also his may have worked due to different year? Ie: different wheel well size?
A little research and measuring will save you a lot of trouble down the line. I've only been here a short while and there is a plethora of offset/tire info, but you can always check out resources like this, too:
Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
275 55r20 :surprise:

I feel you on wanting a drag radial look tho! Just gotta step down on wheel diameter to like at least a 18 or smaller, then you'll be good. Just get the right offsets!
I successfully have 315's on the rear

·
Registered
173 Posts
a tire that tall will throw off the speedo and potentially kill the trans in a jiffy.not to mention look awful.i run 275/315 on my chally and looks great with a 1.5" drop.nice tight fit with no rub

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Picture of how close it was on the front..
I meant to order 275/40/20 but screwed up and ordered 275/45/20s Nittos and had the same issue on the front. I noticed it was hitting when I would make hard turn when I had the windows open one day. Scared the heck out of me but it was just rubbing on the side of the thread. I eventually swapped them out with the Atturo AZ800 275/40r/20s so I'm back to the correct height but gained an inch in wider...

·
Registered
96 Posts
a tire that tall will throw off the speedo and potentially kill the trans in a jiffy.not to mention look awful.i run 275/315 on my chally and looks great with a 1.5" drop.nice tight fit with no rub
It wont "kill the trans in a jiffy".. you are talking about maybe 3 pounds of rotating weight more.. If this were true, you would not see guys running huge tires on trucks without re-gearing. Harder on trans, yes, kill it quickly, no.. It will throw the speedometer off slightly, but that can be corrected in the tune.

I meant to order 275/40/20 but screwed up and ordered 275/45/20s Nittos and had the same issue on the front. I noticed it was hitting when I would make hard turn when I had the windows open one day. Scared the heck out of me but it was just rubbing on the side of the thread. I eventually swapped them out with the Atturo AZ800 275/40r/20s so I'm back to the correct height but gained an inch in wider...
yeah, i didnt run them on the front.. I ran stock 245/45 on the front and the 275/45 on the back.

·
Registered
173 Posts
it is true cuz i know guys that put big tires on new trucks and screwed the trans .if not geared proper ,the added rotational mass will do damage to the trans plus slowing all that mass down will kill the brakes .lets agree that its a bad idea.

·
Registered
96 Posts
it is true cuz i know guys that put big tires on new trucks and screwed the trans .if not geared proper ,the added rotational mass will do damage to the trans plus slowing all that mass down will kill the brakes .lets agree that its a bad idea.
bad idea, sure, but it wont kill it quick. it will be a slow painful death.. Brakes will wear quicker, but not a deal killer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Setting the record straight. You CANNOT fit 275 55r20 on 9” wide rim with 20mm offset on rear on 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T. Not even close. The wheel well is not big enough. You can, however very closely fit 255 45r20 in front and rear. Front is pretty close, but does fit. I’m going through hell here at Goodyear trying to fit the tire I want, and it’s just not happening. I came to put 255 50r20 in front, and 275 55r20 in the rear. That’s a big NO GO. That being said, it can be due to offset for the front, and the rear is just not big enough to fit a 20x9 20mm offset rim with 275 55r20. This is possible that this is just for 2013 models. So what I’m settling with is 245 45r20 in front, and 255 45r20 in the rear. I hope this information helps. Always research offset!
I’ve not heard of ANYONE who tried this until now. ?
275/40 & 295/40 no problem. NONE.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts