Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all of my recent cars had a light that showed when the passenger side airbag was on...so if young kids sat there it wouldnt go off..

ive been letting my 5 & 7 year olds sit there when i pick them up from School and im wondering why there's no light?

is it disarmed for them or is this a dangerous situation?

im just assuming this technology is 15 years old now and they no longer need to show a light for it....i assume its disarmed unless your 120lbs or more

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I don't think you should assume anything- - especially with your kids lives.

There should be something about this in your manual.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sorry to double post, but here's all I found in the manual:

The Advanced Front Airbags have a multistage inflator design. This allows the airbag to have different rates of inflation based on the severity and type of collision.[/SIZE]

Children 12 years old and under should always ride
buckled up in a rear seat. If a child from 1 to 12 years old (not in a rear facing child seat) must ride in the front passenger seat, move the seat as far back as possible and use the proper child restraint

From this information, I think we can say the airbag deploys at a rate commensurate with the severity of the crash, but it looks like it's going to deply no matter how heavy (or light) the passenger.​

I did a search on passenger airbag but didn't find anything about children other than posted above

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
the challenger does not have the OCM module. the airbag will pop whenever the drivers side pops. it is not like the older LX cars.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like they are going back into the back seat...thanks for the help...

i thought air bag sensors were standard 10-15 YEARS ago....i thought it was a federal law....ive had 3 cars in a row that had the sensors.....

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
sounds like they are going back into the back seat...thanks for the help...

i thought air bag sensors were standard 10-15 YEARS ago....i thought it was a federal law....ive had 3 cars in a row that had the sensors.....

thanks for the help!
I think the sensors are a good idea- - - when they work- -I just traded my '08 Altima for the Challenger and the biggest reason was a passenger airbag sensor that could tell my wife was in the passenger seat.

My wife is probably ~150 lbs or so- - (she won't let me know) but for some reason that daggone seat could not realize that on a consistent basis. A lot of times she rode around without airbag protection. Had it in the shop a number of times; Nissan regional "expert" tech checked it out, no love. Enough was enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts