Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone.

I'm thinking about buying a new Challenger Scat Pack soon. However, I'm still on the fence between the Scat Pack and the Camaro 2SS.

What will really help is knowing about reliability. How have your cars been holding up? What kind of issues can I expect within the first two years of owning the car? I'd be getting the 2017, by the way.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Shouldn't expect any issues in the first 2 years, with any new car really. I have had a 5.7 R/T for almost 4 and a half years, 40k miles no problems at all.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
I'll bite, I have owned quite a few Challengers since they debuted in 2008. Only issues I have had have been pretty minor. Mostly cosmetic like the earlier models had cracking issues on the rocker claddings, I replaced a few of those on the 2008-2014 models. Ucconect issues have come and gone but I never had to replace a unit in any car. The most miles I put on a Challenger (so far) has been north of 35K, and still they have all been relatively trouble free and not one has left me stranded (knock on wood). My 2017 has been awesome so far, just a few hick-ups from the latest Ucconect system (infotainment) but after I cold-booted the system a couple of times it has been trouble free. The 2017 for me, has had the best paint, fit and finish by far. Good luck, I love these cars!!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with triumph. If it were me I would get the Challenger, for one reason everybody and their mother seems to own a Camaro, cant throw a lug nut in this town without hitting one. Above all though, get what YOU want, you're the only to be making the monthly payments!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I'll bite, I have owned quite a few Challengers since they debuted in 2008. I love these cars!!!!
Wow!
Did you buy all those Challengers in your sig line NEW??

·
Registered
116 Posts
We have a lot of expert Challenger owners on this web site....I've been a chevy guy most of my life ,but fell in love with the styling of the modern Challenger. I bought a sp last year in Feb ,but after only 1500 miles I am trading for a 2017 sps...so I can't say much from long ownership experience, but after spending hours on this site reading and researching I'm guessing overall the Camaro would be more reliable.
If I were you I would watch lots of youtube reviews. The main reason I bought the Challenger was the styling and size. I am getting to old to get in and out of a Camaro. The things that concern me about the Challenger are rust issues, they seem to have a lot of fit and finish issues, my paint for instance has a lot of trash under the clearcoat, it seems like the paint is very soft and scratches easily.
All things considered I am sticking with the Challenger!!! Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
One common issue is...you will get a lot of stares ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have had 4 of them. All of them have been mechanically reliable (the 2012 6 speed did break a half shaft at the track while on drag radials and a clutch dump at 4,00 RPM ( a known risk). All have been very comfortable to drive and handle extremely well for their size. I bought two new and two used. I sold the last three when each each one reached around 40,000 miles. The first two I sold because I wanted power upgrades and they needed tires, brakes, etc so the step up was not that far. The last one I sold because I thought I was done enjoying cars in general and it also needed tires, brakes, etc. The two SRT's each had over 100 passes and perhaps as much as 150 on the 2010 at the track. Fit and finish are a weak point on the car (at least the 2014's and earlier).

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Wow!
Did you buy all those Challengers in your sig line NEW??
No, not all were brand new, the '16 SXT, the '14 Shaker, and one of the '10 Detonator Classics I bought were used. But they were so near perfect I couldn't pass it up! My friends think I am nuts, my coworkers just can't stop talking about how every time they look in the parking lot they see different cars. Everyone thinks I work for a dealership on the side, truth be told I may end up working as a Service Writer when I retire, I was offered a job when I get out. It's just my thing I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
No, not all were brand new, the '16 SXT, the '14 Shaker, and one of the '10 Detonator Classics I bought were used. But they were so near perfect I couldn't pass it up! My friends think I am nuts, my coworkers just can't stop talking about how every time they look in the parking lot they see different cars. Everyone thinks I work for a dealership on the side, truth be told I may end up working as a Service Writer when I retire, I was offered a job when I get out. It's just my thing I guess.
I bet a lot of salesman keep in touch with you! :grin2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow hunttriumph1500 .....I noticed none of your last 7 Challengers have been connected to SRT, I am curious about your choices? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've had a few and aside from the 2010 timing chain issue no major issues. The 2013 R/T Blacktop had over 45k miles when I traded it in for the Scat Pack Shaker and zero issues. I agree that you should buy what you like. I went from a Mustang to the Challenger simply because I wanted more space and looked more retro then the Camaro or Mustang IMO...

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
Quality of materials, fit and finish improved over the years. The '15s were a big step in materials quality.

Mechanically, they've been pretty reliable. Most issues revolve around some of the newer electronics, which after some software revisions get sorted out.

The new Android Auto / Apple Car Play features will get dealt with by software updates -new HU for '17+, so the hardware was changed from '15/'16.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
693 Posts
All I can add is the a while back, I was in line at Sonoma Raceway waiting to run next to a brand new Camaro... Everyone that came over looked at my car...None the Camaro...

And it's a car that every time you come up to it...You will always pause just a bit to look at it...

PS...No problems with my 2015 SRT...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Wow hunttriumph1500 .....I noticed none of your last 7 Challengers have been connected to SRT, I am curious about your choices? Thanks!
Well between my last SRT and my next R/T I was without a car in Korea for a year, in that time I completely forgot how awesome the SRT is, and I never drove another one again to this day. It was easy just to drive an R/T but to tell the full truth, I could never really use 60% of the SRT's potential, I keep getting stationed in traffic-gridlock-America! I drive an SXT everyday now and I am completely fine with that, maybe being 42 does that? I don't know...

Oh and the new 8-speed transmission introduced in 2015, has made every car feel faster off the line.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I bet a lot of salesman keep in touch with you! :grin2:
They do indeed! I am a sure thing in their books! I sometimes help them sell cars on idle Saturdays when I don't feel like writing papers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Too me they are not very comparable cars. Driving a Cam rental car and my observations. Cam is a much smaller car and a lot less room.
I am cramped in the driver position and I am only 5-11! The driver seat does not recline enough! I need two more clicks. Back seat is pretty useless. View out sucks from every window. Like looking out of gun slits. Dash and menu screen looks out of place. Electronics and features and not as good as Mopar. Handling is quicker but the ride suffers as a result. Challenger feels like your driving a an early 70's muscle car. Cam a modern sports car want-a-be. I like the big air vent in the cam and how the outside ring adjusts temp and air speed. Not as many places to put your stuff while driving in the Cam. Cam also no longer retro looking and looks pretty busy. Challenger gets more looks and thumbs up. Cam sits much lower and is harder to get in and out of. Cam's trunk is pretty big put still much smaller.

·
Registered
743 Posts
1.5 years. I had the same "concerns" when buying a new car. I will tell you no issues. 24K miles. So we can call the "2 years" of driving.

I don't consider these two things issues: 1. They adjusted the hood alignment. 2. TSB update on the heated steering wheel because it turned off too soon (wife complain about that one).

·
Registered
743 Posts
P.S. Like others said, the looks, the stairs, by both men and women, young and old. People will want to talk to you for no reason. But I assume it's "my duty" as a Challenger owner.

Oh, and when you see someone with the exact same car, color, trim, options, you have to wave or wave back. It's the Brotherhood.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts