·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08-13 Challenger V6 Cat Back System SMC22S

Please advise your experience with the Pypes kit -

1) Do you have 3.5 or 3.6?

2) Any drone? If so, rate from 1-5

3) Describe quality of sound - deeper, higher, louder, ricer-like, etc.?

4) Any gain or loss of power, or MPG?

5) Any other comments/suggestions (would you recommend them, any installation issues, etc)?

And, if you have video, please post. Thank you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm 99% sure that's the exhaust I'm going with come spring. From the video's I've seen I like the sound the best. Make sure you shop around, the price on that system varies greatly. I've seen it as low as $545 on Ebay.

·
Registered
387 Posts
#2 is what I'm most concerned about at my age now. :) There's nothing worse than not being able to hold a conversation with the wife and kids because the exhaust is droning like mad and giving everybody a headache. It takes all the enjoyment away and actually makes you want to go back to stock.

I had great luck with the Dynomax VT on my previous vehicle but not many people here seem to use it. Looking forward to hearing how y'all feel about this kit listed above ^^.

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
337 Posts
08-13 Challenger V6 Cat Back System SMC22S

Please advise your experience with the Pypes kit -

5) Any other comments/suggestions (would you recommend them, any installation issues, etc)?

And, if you have video, please post. Thank you.
I am using there Street Violator's , with JBA short headers on my 09 3.5 with a Airaid CAI

yes there is drone from about 1k to 2k more so when its cold then hot. but then I did not get the violator to be quiet.

Power loss or gain do not know have never dyno it to tell, but on the 1/4 mile I have gain a few tenth on the low end and loss a bit on the high, and over all about 1 or 2 mph slower. I have not put a tuner on it to make better use of the air flow.

Comment would like to see them about 2 in shorter in over all length, the tip stick out a bit.

Over all I am very happy with it.

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
220 Posts
Please advise your experience with the Pypes kit - Street Pro(first 3.6 to have it installed or on here at least)

2011 3.6

Drone, I say 1 ish while it warm outside maybe 0 and about a 2 ish when its cold and even then you can still hold a conversation

I love the sound! Deep, throtty sound when you start up then it quiets down afterwards.
This particular exhaust between the 3 is mainly for sound during Mid-High Rpm. I was a little nervous about the exhaust system the first 2weeks because it was a little obnoxious BUT it was my FIRST actual mod and I didn't know what to expect as I was told it had to break in some miles. Around the 3rd week is when it quiet down. I don't remember how many miles but this car is my daily to and from work. Its been over a year and I still love it. People who see me or drive behind me says its sound very good for a V6 compared to the ones they have heard and this is coming from V8 mopar owners, V6 owners or people in general.

During the break in period, it did take away some low end but after a good 2months I personally felt the power to return and then some. MPG stayed the same.

If you were to purchase one of the 3 and you want quiet in the cabin, I suggest street pro. With installation, if you plan on keep your exhaust system I would have the shop weld it instead of bold it on so you wont have to worry about things coming loose or air seeping through.....Oh and during the break in period of having it settle in, you are going to start your car one day and notice a satisfying difference. When that time comes ask someone to rev the engine and you hear that lovely deep sound:smokin:

6) Video
Apparently my video it posted on the pypes website with the blue towel lol. Didn't really know they posted that unless I emailed it to them I believe. That video was shot like the 2nd week I had them on because I was so excited about having them. its been over a year and I can tell you it sounds WAY BETTER. I will try to shoot one today but no video can do this exhaust justice.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've read on Challenger forums a lot where people say just give the exhaust time...it'll quiet down some. This is completely 180° opposite of what happens on every other vehicle I've ever owned. As the fiberglass packing burns in and as the internals of the muffler break in, the exhaust gets louder over time, not more quiet.

Exhaust is like tires...the older they get the louder they get.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've read on Challenger forums a lot where people say just give the exhaust time...it'll quiet down some. This is completely 180° opposite of what happens on every other vehicle I've ever owned. As the fiberglass packing burns in and as the internals of the muffler break in, the exhaust gets louder over time, not more quiet.

what year you have

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a '14 and usually the first thing I do to every vehicle I buy is exhaust. But I'm holding off this time because I'm 35 now with a family and I've just gotten tired of the annoying drone that most exhaust systems make. If I do go with a kit it'll be a Dynomax VT kit because they are specifically designed NOT to drone.

When I floor the pedal the car makes plenty of noise already from the CAI...but when I'm cruising it's silent inside. Kind of the best of both worlds. So I'll leave the exhaust as-is at least for a long time.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Glasspacks are known to get louder after some time because the fiberglass breaks down, but the Pypes mufflers don't have any fiberglass packing.

This system sounds good. I'm seriously considering this or the Flowmaster Force II; both are close in price.

·
Premium Member
2018 Challenger SXT Plus
63 Posts
I have a '12 3.6 with Street pros and electric cut outs-sound is great-when you dump the pipes to straight you scare the crap out of SRT's. Definate horsepower gain-I also have a mopar cai and modern muscle 81 mm ported throttle body so this Chally gets up and goes. As far as drone it is only in low rpms-highway driving it is not that noticable-and better gas milage to boot!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a '12 3.6 with Street pros and electric cut outs-sound is great-when you dump the pipes to straight you scare the crap out of SRT's. Definate horsepower gain-I also have a mopar cai and modern muscle 81 mm ported throttle body so this Chally gets up and goes. As far as drone it is only in low rpms-highway driving it is not that noticable-and better gas milage to boot!!!

Video proof or its all lies!!!!!!! Lol Even though I'm expecting it not to sound as good as it really would in person

·
Registered
94 Posts
I
Ike to hear this street pro from pypes you two talking about. I'm looking for deeper sound and less drone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts