Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I almost made it a full month into owning my new 1320. Driving down the interstate today and I hear POP. After feeling like impersonating Yosemite Sam (dirty racka fracka perkalooma rock) I was like "no way that didn't chip something." I was right. I saw where it hit on the front bumper. In the course of looking closely, I also found another chip on the front that I don't know when I got. I am not convinced that I didn't get both places today because I just washed and dried the car a few days ago and didn't see anything. So, I ordered some Dr. Colorchip and I think that will do the job. But, man those first chips hurt my feelings. Just curious, how long did some of you guys make it before you got your first one on your new challenger?

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
Just a few weeks with mine.

Part of driving it, and many more to come while I'm enjoying my ride.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My Widebody got one in the drivers door on the way home from the dealer. My 2017 I traded in didn’t have a mark on it. I ordered the ZL1 rock guards as soon as I got home. I read a lot of post about the Widebodys getting chips but I didn’t think it would happen that fast.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,006 Posts
My '17 didn't get any chips at all. I protected it with Xpel. After 30,000 miles, no chips.

·
Registered
Plum Crazy 2019 SXT AWD
34 Posts
Yes, it hurts!!!
Mine was less than 2 weeks in. Good sized chip above driver's side rear wheel. Kids had day camp down a gravel road.
A couple of weeks ago we went to Walmart and when we got back, there was about a 4 inch area of scratches on the rear bumper. Wasn't like that when we stopped at Home Depot right before. Even though we parked a few spaces out from the nearest car, couldn't escape the evil of an errant shopping cart on a windy day. That was about 3 months in. So sad:cry: But that is what happens when you drive...
All three new vehicles I've purchased have had pretty bad gouges within the first few weeks, none of them my fault.
On the bright side, didn't realize the cabin we rented the other weekend would entail 30 miles or so of gravel, yet no damage done! With the scratches and chip I had already I wasn't exactly driving conservatively either...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
I have had one chip on leading edge of the hood, probably in the 1st 6 months. Otherwise it's just some salt grain sized spots. I did have something jump up and hit the rear passenger side quarter panel. No real chip, but you can see it if you look down the side.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
I got one on the rear fender (driver's side) in the first year. I think that the paint on these cars is "soft" and it chips easily.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
630 Posts
Not a rock chip but got a paint chip on passenger side view mirror two weeks into owning mine from someone opening their door. Some people just don't care :mad:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have managed to somehow avoid any significant rock chip damage or dings in the paint for the first 8 months of ownership. But I did get a large rock chip in my windshield last week (and a number of smaller ones near it) that I think will require a windshield replacement. It was my fault though as I was doing well over 100mph and ended up passing a semi that seemed to be throwing stone chips all over the place.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,697 Posts
I don't think I have any on mine. It is about 1 1/2 years old and 20K miles. Only the last 1/4 of that is me though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
On my last Challenger I got beat up pretty good early on. A thrown rock hit right above the pass. headlight and literally busted a hole in the shroud that is above the headlights and cracked the bezel that surrounds. Pretty close to a miracle that the light assembly was completely unscathed. It would have been a one in a million shot to hit like it did and not bust the headlight out.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think I got one after 2 months. I have a rule, my Challenger doesn’t go on the highway. The highways in Colorado are already shitty enough but they’re even worse when they suck, they’re being torn up, re-routed, express lanes added, torn apart again for the hundredth time that year to be re-paved blah blah and so on.

I’ve perfected all my back road routes and I’ll gladly spend the extra few minutes avoiding the highway. I also don’t tail anyone for this reason.

·
Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392 (1 of 2)
190 Posts
Two years of ownership and nothing on the body or headlights - thanks Xpel! I didn't drive the car until I had it installed. On my drive to the install shop, I kept to the backroads and, if there was a car in front of me, I probably allowed five car lengths. There was no way I was going to pick up a chip on the way to having the Xpel installed!

I have had to replace my windshield, though. I live in Arizona, one of the top states for rock chips (according the the Safelite technician who replaced my windshield). And, by the way, yes, I went with an OEM replacement. I had to have the Challenger silhouette in the windshield border just like factory!

saint ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
I have managed to somehow avoid any significant rock chip damage or dings in the paint for the first 8 months of ownership. But I did get a large rock chip in my windshield last week (and a number of smaller ones near it) that I think will require a windshield replacement. It was my fault though as I was doing well over 100mph and ended up passing a semi that seemed to be throwing stone chips all over the place.
Make sure to get a Mopar original replacement if you want the logo...I also believe people have commented they are superior

A Guy

Reactions: MrF8Green

·
Registered
981 Posts
Make sure to get a Mopar original replacement if you want the logo...I also believe people have commented they are superior

View attachment 980610

A Guy
I love the logo! I didn’t notice it at first but later on I thought it was really cool. I would love if my Challenger had the heads up display but seeing as those windows are like $800+ to replace I’m glad Dodge didn’t go Chevys route and start putting them in every 2SS.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,313 Posts
I think I got one after 2 months. I have a rule, my Challenger doesn’t go on the highway. The highways in Colorado are already shitty enough but they’re even worse when they suck, they’re being torn up, re-routed, express lanes added, torn apart again for the hundredth time that year to be re-paved blah blah and so on.

I’ve perfected all my back road routes and I’ll gladly spend the extra few minutes avoiding the highway. I also don’t tail anyone for this reason.
^THIS^ all my rock chip damage has been from running on the local highways here.
They are all dirty and contain all sorts of nasty things. 2 weeks in, I had more than a few already. :mad:

Reactions: Cominfromcamaro

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,923 Posts
How long did it take? It took about a few seconds lol, but it seemed like a long time. I was in the fast lane on a two lane divided highway blocked in just behind a tractor trailer on the right with no way to get out. I shudder each and every time I'm next to a truck because I've seen how rocks can get kicked out from their tires.
I actually SAW the rock get flung into the air at just the perfect angle to hit the side of my car. Everything seemed like I was watching it happen in slow motion. Then I heard the BANG. I just kept going to work since the damage was already done. It ended up hitting the vinyl stripe on the right side so I not only have to fix the paint, but that section of the stripe as well. Totally sucks, but it could have been worse.
Another time, I was also on my way to work on another major highway in heavy traffic moving fast. The kind of situation where you know you'd better be able to stop fast at a moments notice since you're following to closely for the speed everyone's traveling and can't see what's ahead of the car in front. With virtually no notice, I watched the guy ahead of me run over a kingsize mattress that must have just flipped off of another vehicle. The mattress proceeded to go completely airborne and I'd no idea how or where it was going to land. Thankfully, I knew where every car was around me, and was able to quickly swerve around the mattress into the next lane at 75 MPH or so. It certainly would have done a number on my front end for sure. I don't even know what happened behind me because I didn't stick around for fear of a massive chain reaction pile up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a bird fly into my car, and it hit my hood (From the side) when I get sick of looking at it I will go get some PDR action ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts