Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
You own one of the hottest rides money can buy but you keep your key fob in the pocket because it looks just as exciting as granny‘s panties. While china online shopping I stumbled across an upgrade key fob and decided to give it a try...

No... it‘s not the red one, though it‘s a china key fob too for just 5 bucks. We‘re talking about the bad boy in the middle... ?

Sooo... What are we looking at? It‘s a plastic case and metal covers on both sides. I do not think it aluminum. I’d say it‘s a zinc alloy. First impression: Hmmm... ? If you shake it you hear a rattling sound from the buttons. Well, let‘s swap out the OEM circuit board and see how this turns out...

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,438 Posts
For starters, the panic button is in a different location. Also, what bout your actual metal key?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let‘s take it apart and see what we got...

First you remove the metal parts by just sliding them to the side.

I took a small kitchen knife, put the blade into the groove where the plastic is snapped together and pried it open.

Now we got this...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Next step: Open your OEM key fob and gently pry out the circuit board. It‘s held in place by a small plastic post. The tip has been melted (or do you say molten...?) a little but if you wiggle the board a little it will snap off and you can remove the board without damaging it.

Put the battery in the new case and put the circuit board on top of it. There is a little lip that will hold the board in place. Take the other part (with the buttons) and snap them together. Don‘t forget the little metal part on the bottom. It‘s needed to secure the key fob with a little screw. On the top of the side metal parts there are little hooks that go into the plastic. Push on the side parts and... the alarm goes off. ? The panic button needs to be modified.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with the alarm is the little plastic part in the red circle.

This part activates the alarm. It is part of the physical panic button and it is too high. If you slide the metal side part on it pushes down the button and... PANIC!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
Next step: Open your OEM key fob and gently pry out the circuit board. It‘s held in place by a small plastic post. The tip has been melted (or do you say molten...?) a little but if you wiggle the board a little it will snap off and you can remove the board without damaging it.

Put the battery in the new case and put the circuit board on top of it. There is a little lip that will hold the board in place. Take the other part (with the buttons) and snap them together. Don‘t forget the little metal part on the bottom. It‘s needed to secure the key fob with a little screw. On the top of the side metal parts there little hooks that go into the plastic. Push on the side parts and... the alarm goes off. ? The panic button needs to be modified.
Melted is correct, molten implies it is still in the process of melting or has yet to solidify.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How to solve the panic button problem?
I used an exacto knife and cut it to size. Now the plastic is a little lower so the metal side piece can slide over it without activating the alarm.

Screw the parts together and you are done. ??

It‘s a tiny torx screw and I don’t have a key that small but my smallest allen key did the trick.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,438 Posts
So are the silver parts painted pot metal? Hmm, strip them down, a bit of Plum Crazy and tons of clear...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The facts:
All buttons work. ??
I paid $ 16,77 (aliexpress.com). ??
No more rattling sounds from the buttons ??
You have to modify the panic button with an exacto knife.
You can also pinch off the little plastic piece but the button will no longer work after that.

The OEM key fob weighs 48 grams.
The new key fob weighs 94 grams.
It does have noticeable more weight but it feels good in the hand. I like the heavier feeling.

The metal parts seem to be lacquered with a thin clear coat. Let‘s see how long it will last. The buttons are more clicky and the plastic case feels a little cheaper than the original but overall it‘s a solid key fob. There is a nice button on the backside to release the metal key. This button works much better than the slide mechanism.

Would I buy it again? Yes!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
That looks great. I have no plan to upgrade my fob, but I appreicate the details in this thread.
Yeah... think I’ll pass on that mod, I’ll just stay with the red carbon fiber cover I already have..btw it looks like the front end of a Cadillac?

·
Registered
645 Posts
looks like a nice upgrade but I never take my keys out of my pocket anyways. It's actually in a clear wallet. I just put a silicone cover over mine. Doesn't look as nice as yours but no one but valet will see it and I don't plan to valet if I could avoid it

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
my replacement hellcat fob was nearly $400 plus programming.
while I think its cool that you took this on as a personal challenge, there is no way I am going to risk 1 or 2, $400 fobs ea. in order to swap it over to a $16 chinese cover whose durability & long term functionality cannot possibly be a good as the OEM units. Again, great job, just not for me either.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my replacement hellcat fob was nearly $400 plus programming.
while I think its cool that you took this on as a personal challenge, there is no way I am going to risk 1 or 2, $400 fobs ea. in order to swap it over to a $16 chinese cover whose durability & long term functionality cannot possibly be a good as the OEM units. Again, great job, just not for me either.
400 PLUS programming!? ? I know that oem key fobs are expensive but what in the fkn hell does the key fob do other than what the 5 buttons are supposed to do? I mean... I like oem stuff and of course I still have my original keys but it‘s just plastic, a battery and a circuit board and I guess they are the same for all models. Production costs are 5 bucks at the most.

If the china thing breaks I‘ll put the circuit board back in the oem key fob and that‘s it. I did it just for fun and if I paid 400 I wouldn‘t swap it over either. ?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
400 PLUS programming!? ? I know that oem key fobs are expensive but what in the fkn hell does the key fob do other than what the 5 buttons are supposed to do?
Hellcat fobs are not like any other dodge fob. they are specificly assigned the actual car, meaning a used one or previously assigned one from another car, unlike other dodge's, cannot be used on another car and the system will only accept up to 5 total fobs, 3 of which are already assigned by the factory. Once assigned they cannot be unassigned. Red fobs are also dual mode in that they unlock two seperate horsepower modes, not one, like all other dodge fobs. Red fobs can only clone another red fob, so when we lost 1 red one, not wanting to chance having onlt 1 red key, we had no choice but to replace it via dodge dealer to the tune of almost $500.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I always thought that my key is assigned to my car and cannot be used on another one... ? I knew that the red key activates the full hp potential. But still it‘s a circuit board (with a different programming than a regular key), a battery and plastic. For 500 bucks...!? I don‘t blame you and don‘t want to argue. I just think that car manufacturers (not only Dodge) rip off their customers with bs like this. They seem to think that if you have enough money to buy a HC you don‘t mind to pay 500 for a single key. ?

Half an hour to go... then weekend. I think I‘ll start the car with my China HC key, pop up the hood and see if a supercharger appears. And maybe there‘s a unicorn in my backyard... ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts