Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking very hard about ordering a 2015 scat pack challenger to replace my 2013 Mustang 5.0 and i'm curious about paint quality. I had a 2010 Camaro SS and the paint quality on that car was horrible. The paint chipped extremely easily. since then I have owned 3 different 2011-2013 Mustangs with no paint issues at all. How is the paint quality and durability on the Challengers?

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't know about newer models but my friend's 2010 has quite a bit of orange peel. So does my 2007 charger. That doesn't bother a lot of people though.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The extra cost 3-coat Redline paint on my car hasn't chipped any, even by the wheels, it has a couple specks of dirt in the paint and some bad orange peel. Clear coat waterspots WAY to easy. Some other paints are not as tough.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
My paint has orange peel....

Doesn't bother me. It can be buffed out. Mine is a daily driver so I'm fine with it. Overall paint job is good. The fitting of hood is good. Door gaps are good. I'm happy.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
The paint on my 14 I think is very good, there is a slight amount of orange peel but paint is nice and shiny and no scratches or chips yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
15,524 Posts
Back in 2009, while Dodge was fighting for its survival, the Brampton factory workers were taking a lot of pride in building the Challenger.The Hemi-orange paint on my SRT is very good with no orange peel and only 2-3 small dust specks.

However, like most other manufacturers, the paint layers are very thin and chip easily.

You can view the entire primer/paint process by watching this Ultimate Factories video clip (19:00 minute mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTLrx_Cr98

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I was looking at a 14 RT in Granite yesterday and was very surprised to easily find 2 relatively large hairs embedded in the color coat on the rear pillar. This was a car on the showroom floor. I'm hoping this was just one that got by QC.

·
Registered
251 Posts
some orange peel in my '14 for sure!

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,069 Posts
I had hoped that FIAT would have invested in better robotic technology by now, but I guess the graffiti artists with spray paint cans transplanted from the hood are still at it LOL. I think the paint on these cars is not on par with a lot of other vehicles out there, but it's not terrible either. If I was paying $65,000 for a Hellcat though, I wish I knew someone on the line that would pay extra attention to MY car. Where's Brampton Builder when you need him?;)

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
My '13 Pitch Black I'm sorry to say has to much orange peel. On the drivers door just below the center line in the center it looks as if there was some thing there when the paint was wet and then flicked away prior to it drying. Sort of the opposite of a drip. Not that happy with it. I then looked at my wife's Honda Pilot, it's that cranberry look, holy orange peel. A lot more than mine. So I think it's fair to say most everyday types have the same robot machine finish. They, on average, aren't to great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would you say there is enough clear on these cars to be able to have them wet sanded and buffed to eliminate most of the orange peel? I drive a company vehicle to and from work so my cars are not really daily drivers. I have owned my Mustang for a year and have 4200 miles on it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a 2013 Redline in Bright White with no orange peel issues but had a few spots with dust under the paint. I now have a 2014 Anniversary car that I ordered in Ivory Pearl, no issues with orange peel but it had a lot of spots with debris in the paint. It was enough of an issue that Chrysler was willing to re-paint a 1/3 of the car. I would not allow them to re-paint a 1/3rd of it because the pearl would never match. They did step up and give me a lifetime power-train warranty instead.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,043 Posts
The problem I have had on my cars has been chipping paint behind the wheels, but only on certain colors. All of the Yellow cars I have owned to include my 2 Yellow Challengers and 1 Camaro had really bad chipping issues, almost like there wasn't any clear coat on there at all. Orange was better and B5 blue was great and white seemed to have the least issues with chipping.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am thinking very hard about ordering a 2015 scat pack challenger to replace my 2013 Mustang 5.0 and i'm curious about paint quality. I had a 2010 Camaro SS and the paint quality on that car was horrible. The paint chipped extremely easily. since then I have owned 3 different 2011-2013 Mustangs with no paint issues at all. How is the paint quality and durability on the Challengers?

Bob
IMO the paint quality of my 14 SRT is much, much better than my 14 Camaro SS & former 13 ZL1. Can't speak about Mustangs because I've havent owned one of the newer models.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Virtually all auto manufacturers have switched or are switching over to water based paint, owing to restrictions on volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in paint. VOCs are apparently bad for the environment and are thus going the way of the Dodo. FCA solely uses water based paint at the factory.

The upside to non-solvent based paint is greater ease in color matching and spraying. The downside is that it is far less scratch and chip resistant. I find the paint on my Challenger to be very susceptible to swirls and spider-webbing, much more so than the paint on the cars I owned 10-15 years ago. Then again, my Challenger is Pitch Black which would show everything even if it was solvent-based.

I take great pains when I wash and wax my car so as to avoid putting scratches in the paint as much as possible. Frequent washes using deionized water, premium oil rich auto soaps, microfiber chenille mitts, air blaster drying, etc, minimize scratches, but despite all of these precautions, the paint will still occasionally suffer minor paint defects. A yearly swirl removal and fine polish with my Porter Cable will correct all of it though.

If you want to read up on the plusses and minuses of water based paint, this is a good place to start: How Waterborne Paint Is Changing the Auto Industry | Specialty Equipment Market Association

·
Registered
469 Posts
The paint on my plum crazy rt is much better than what was on my 13 5.0. I had to fix several chips on it in only 7 months of ownership. Not so on the RT

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am also shopping for a 14' Challenger classic or 15' Scat pack. I am hoping for better paint quality than my 14' Camaro 1LE. It has the same paint chipping on the rear quarters as the others I have owned. I have found the challenger I want if I go with the 14'. So now it's just a matter of getting the deal done or wait on a 15'. Just hoping the paint won't be as much of an issue as my Camaro.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've found much more dust/contaminants under the paint compared to my 08 Saturn. I would say the paint is one of my larger complaints about the car so far.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The paint on my plum crazy rt is much better than what was on my 13 5.0. I had to fix several chips on it in only 7 months of ownership. Not so on the RT
I have owned a 2011 5.0 and two 2013 5.0 mustangs and the paint was awesome as far as quality and durability compared to my 2010 Camaro

1 - 20 of 76 Posts