Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother just bought a 2014 red R/T 6m and the dealer installed the Mopar T/A hood, painted to match, as part of the deal. It's non-functional, but could be made so if desired. As of now, it's just for looks.

I've had my car since last April and never gave any thought to the hood, until I saw his. I think it's an awesome look and might be tempted to add one to my car. But I've been wondering if it's one of those things that gets ridiculed because it's non-functional. I personally don't give a rip about the functionality and certainly wouldn't pay another $500.00 to make it so.

What's your opinion?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I love mine, would never go back to stock.....and it's functional.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I personally think there are better looking hood options out there - my favorite is the Speedlogix ram air hood. From what I've read, the non-functional aspect really doesn't affect performance unless it's a serious racecar, so I would never spend the extra money just for the bragging rights.

It does make the car stand out though, so if you're looking for visual horsepower the hood has that in spades.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Love it..............

·
Registered
930 Posts
I like them, but I've seen a few where the paint color/finish just didn't look entirely right. I like the stock hood just fine, too.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I made my partially functional by drilling and filing out the scoop grills, then made vent covers for the inside of the hood out of thin pieces of steel from the hardware store. I use it for additional engine cooling.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2013 red challenger with the t/a hood. it was not functional when I bought the car.

I just about busted a gut finding the vent kit for it. I will install this spring.

having a t/a hood w/o being functional is like having a vibrator with out batteries.
(that's what she said)

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Really like the TA hood on my ride - sets it apart from the rest. Setup is not what others would call "functional" but it works for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My brother just bought a 2014 red R/T 6m and the dealer installed the Mopar T/A hood, painted to match, as part of the deal. It's non-functional, but could be made so if desired. As of now, it's just for looks.

I've had my car since last April and never gave any thought to the hood, until I saw his. I think it's an awesome look and might be tempted to add one to my car. But I've been wondering if it's one of those things that gets ridiculed because it's non-functional. I personally don't give a rip about the functionality and certainly wouldn't pay another $500.00 to make it so.

What's your opinion?
love the T/A hood....it's in the list of future mods for my car :bouncy:

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Those hoods are cool, but when people see them, they assume a very powerful motor must be under it. I wouldn't put one on unless it worked, and my motor was stronger.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
What about the rain, doesn't it dump on your engine bay?

Really like the TA hood on my ride - sets it apart from the rest. Setup is not what others would call "functional" but it works for me.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
. . . What's your opinion?
Not for me. I like the standard hood.

And no way would I want something that wasn't functional like a "fake" T/A hood. I don't care for fake vents/intakes/etc. on any car.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Not for me. I like the standard hood.

And no way would I want something that wasn't functional like a "fake" T/A hood. I don't care for fake vents/intakes/etc. on any car.
I understand what your saying and agree with not having something not functional, but the T/A hood (without the vent system) is as functional as your factory hood with the added functional hood vents you had to purchase for the factory hood, which they both allow cooler air into the engine bay. The T/A hood truly becomes fully functional by directing that cooler air straight into the intake system when you add the venting system. So truly neither hood is fully functional (including the speedlogix hood) until you have a system that directs the air into the intake.

BTW, For the OP, if you like it then get it, I love mine!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts