Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
#6 of 80 Mopar '17 Challenger
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I started taking pictures in this school parking lot. Has a fellow forum guy asked if there was a 392 spot. Turns out there is, so I claimed it as my own today. LOL

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
While I commend your outside of the box thinking here, I am troubled by your refusal to adopt, and by extension, endorse the metric system.

Please allow the standard measuring system to die already. I implore you to unplug its life support, and send it into eternity in a peaceful and honorable fashion.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can work with either system. The U.K. uses metric, but still uses MPH as the unit for velocity. Whats up with that?

And if you are an automaker, pick one system or the other, not a mixture of both on a particular vehicle. 1990's were the worst for this

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
While I commend your outside of the box thinking here, I am troubled by your refusal to adopt, and by extension, endorse the metric system.

Please allow the standard measuring system to die already. I implore you to unplug its life support, and send it into eternity in a peaceful and honorable fashion.
Last I looked we weren’t a European or Asian country, I like my SAE identity. This used to be a nice country until we sold our souls to everyone else. Please don’t get me started...

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
Last I looked we weren’t a European or Asian country, I like my SAE identity. This used to be a nice country until we sold our souls to everyone else. Please don’t get me started...
What units you use to measure is your business, I will indict no one for dividing their lumber into eighths, sixteenths, and thirty-seconds. But when it comes to my lumber purchases, having to do math in fractions of an inch enrages me to the point of blindness. Looking at a tape measure and trying to count how many 32nds the wood is past my cut mark, or wait are those 16ths, no they're 32nds, although, well shit, alright, let's count the little ticks in between 1 and 2...F********K ME that's too much work!

Give me centimeters and milllimeters, as they make measuring and cutting my wood so much simpler.

Reactions: 18PCPGT

·
Registered
538 Posts
Try cutting you lumber to the closest miilimeter. 1/32"=0.8mm

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
887 Posts
Nuke, it's really not that hard. What can be confusing is using a small machinist rule that I was using to make a replacement part for a gun I am restoring and every time I picked it up I found myself foolishly using the wrong scale. I think I need new glasses. Kept getting the inch scale confused with the tenths. Maybe I need to add additional lights in the shop.

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
Try cutting you lumber to the closest miilimeter. 1/32"=0.8mm
I don't know what you're saying, but yes??

I used to have a nice little JL Audio 10" sub that would only sound its best in a custom built ported enclosure. It would be one thing to custom build said enclosure to the specs JL Audio provided for the sub in question, but I had to do it to their specs after altering them to fit into my trunk under a slide-out tray used for mounting the amps and such.

I did the math and built the enclosure twice using the inches and 32nds and such, and both boxes were ultimately ditched due to their air leaks and non-conforming angles.

The third attempt was done with metric measurements only. Not only was the math so much more straightforward with that 3rd attempt, but marking and cutting the wood yielded a superb enclosure for that sub, in my car. No air leaks, no misaligned edges, no weird angles because of a missed calculation on a joint/seam. Just air-tight, straight, beautiful joints and edges.

The first two box attempts left me an angry, frustrated, bitter person that cussed that wood more than I cut it. The 3rd attempt was so deceptively simple and easy to get done, I started to think I might have been a carpenter in a previous life.

The bottom line for me is that when it comes to measuring and cutting wood, the use of inches and fractions of an inch makes it more difficult for me to succeed. Conversely, success becomes the default outcome simply by using the metric side of the measuring tape when doing math and making the cuts.

The choice is clear for me, metric all the way!!!

Reactions: Moparrebel

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have only been able to cut wood to the nearest 1/8", or 3mm. You must have some precision woodworking tools

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
887 Posts
I can certainly appreciate what you are saying. When ever someone endeavors to do quality work they should use the tools they are most comfortable with. You feel most comfortable with metric. I on the other hand like to use the good old American inch. However, my latest project, I was using a small machinist rule that had multiple scales on both sides. That caused way more confusion then was necessary. The part was made and has been installed on the gun which is waiting to be presented to my lovely wife. Hopefully she will not shoot me with it!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am actually more comfortable with US Customary units, but I have learned to deal with Metric. Measuring is done in Inches, wrenching on my car, I have to use metric tools

The one US unit I cannot abandon is PSI. Can you imagine inflating your tires to 220 kilo Pascals?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
538 Posts
The Challenger Space Shuttle exploded 35 years ago because those in charge did not want to delay the launch any further, even though the Engineers warned them that a launch should not be performed in those cold temperatures

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
I can certainly appreciate what you are saying. When ever someone endeavors to do quality work they should use the tools they are most comfortable with. You feel most comfortable with metric. I on the other hand like to use the good old American inch. However, my latest project, I was using a small machinist rule that had multiple scales on both sides. That caused way more confusion then was necessary. The part was made and has been installed on the gun which is waiting to be presented to my lovely wife. Hopefully she will not shoot me with it!
My son bought a couple of new pistols so the four of us went to the range, my wife, son and daughter went into the ports and I stood out by the counter and looked through the window to watch them. The guy asked me why I’m not in there shooting with them. My answer was if she’s holding a loaded gun, that’s the LAST place on this earth I’d be standing. 😉😆.
She doesn’t know where in the house my guns are, she’s never bothered to ask either.

Reactions: Moparrebel

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,988 Posts
Great parking spot indeed, nice that they made one just for Hemi cars. (y) As for the metric/English system of measurement argument, when it comes to displacement 392 Hemi sounds so much better to me than 6.4. Probably generational but I'll stick with old school cubic inches.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Challenger SXT AWD
217 Posts
She doesn’t know where in the house my guns are, she’s never bothered to ask either.
That’s even more worrying, maybe she doesn’t need your guns because she has her own stash! 😁

My wife love’s the AR’s but hates the AK’s, so that always decides who shoots what. 😀

·
Premium Member
737 Posts

Heresy!!

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
That’s even more worrying, maybe she doesn’t need your guns because she has her own stash! 😁

My wife love’s the AR’s but hates the AK’s, so that always decides who shoots what. 😀
At least she wouldn’t use mine, haha. I know she knows where my sons are stored.

Reactions: Rockhopper01
1 - 20 of 43 Posts