Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the market for a SE, but after driving the SE as a rental car last year and test driving an R/T, I am a bit skeptical because the performance was not what I was expecting.

I'm hoping you guys can provide some meaningful feedback about your own experience with the weight of the car and how the V6 holds up. Personally, I thought stepping on gas would make the car move faster (both SE and R/T). The salesman said I didn't get the gas hard enough on the R/T so I never really experienced it.

I love this car for it's looks, but do I really buy just because of the way it looks?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Buy it.

1. For the looks

2. For the looks

3. For the crash star rating ( very safe car)

4. Go for the 2011 SE if you can to get the best bang for your buck

I have a 2010 SE and I get compliments from strangers everyday..

I also have a lead foot.. So "not stepping on the gas hard enough" doesn't apply to me

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's simple, if it's performance you want, buy the RT, although I have the SE and it performs fine for me....or wait and test drive the new V6 coming out and see how that performs....all models look awesome!!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If you drive in normal traffic, the SE is just fine. If you are looking for performance, that is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I love my SE. If I could have gotten the RT I would have, but for certain reasons I decided to go with the SE for now. As anyone with an SE will tell you, you will get compliments and people asking you if it has a HEMI and so on. Last Friday night it took my 20 minutes to pump gas cuz 2 people asked me about my car, so it really is a GREAT car to buy. But its really about your finances and how much you can afford or willing to pay for the Challenger. I would go for the RT if you can afford it, but I can tell you I've never second guessed my decision to buy the SE.

·
Banned
863 Posts
The SE is great deal for a great looking car at a super price. If you want to speed around looking for kills, RT and SRT are the way to go.
Good luck, you can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
As everyone else has said, if you want a great looking car and couldn't be bothered by performance, go SE. If you want somethin that really move, go R/T. Sounds like you're looking for some performance as well, so I'd definitely recommend the R/T. You'll regret not going with what you really want.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought my 2009 in december 2008 for $20k, brand new. IT now has 40k miles on it, and has yet to be back at the dealer. Best car I have ever owned. I didn't test drive the RT or the SRT. I can't imagine another car for $20k that is better.

The thing is I wasn't comparing the SE vs the RT. I was in the market for a daily commuter car. And I was comparing a $16k Cobalt to the Chally. Best $4k toy I ever got.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
If your going to buy a SE, which I highly recommend, get the Rallye Package. You get 18" wheels, chrome gas cap, hood and trunk stripes, paint matched spoiler, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter handle. I get more compliments on my SE than my husband does on his SRT.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Awesome looking car, great daily commuter, price point is good, performance wise, the car weighs a lot so the the RT version would be better I'm sure if you can swing it in your pocket book. Overall it goes as fast as I need it to really.

My car was in the shop for a week and the rental co. gave me a convertible mustang. The convertible was fun in the sun but when the weekend was over, the novelty had worn off. The ride was uncomfortable and I couldn't wait to get my Chally back!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I bought the R/T 6 months ago. I wouldn't trade her for the world. Like the others say, look to how you want to drive the car. Daily driver (with few exceptions) SE or R/T. Performance car R/T or SRT.

When I bought the car, I didn't consider anything other than look and feel. It was after I roller her off the lot I got the bug. Now I'm driving her daily, taking her to the track, making all the mods and maintenance items myself. I do now have a lead foot and the local chief of police is fully aware of me (and loves my girl too -- after being pulled over but not ticketed by him).

According to people who have sat in my back seats, they are surprisingly comfortable with leg room. Everyone always balks at the back seat before sitting down. Trunk room in these are second to none (I have yet to fill it up completely on grocery runs).

I have Chargers, Mustangs, and Camaros all want to drag me. With the exception of the GT500's and the Charger with the supercharger, I've out performed them all.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
test em both and the competition as well. buy the best for what you're willing to spend

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
...so impressed with the feed back and willingness to share...

@Hemiwoman - I agree. I've been eying a DWB Rallye package since it was announced. A dealer was listing one for $22,891, but I found out today it was sold last saturday. a few others in the vicinity, but nothing LISTED (MSRP - discounts) that low.

@rmfootball69 and @rsm999 - i'm not looking for "performance" per se. I don't need to go anywhere that fast. What I was trying to say was: I thought the car would respond more when I hit the gas. The responses from everyone have been really helpful. does the fact that I've been driving a FWD for 11 years affect my experience with a RWD car?

A question for all: do you ever run into problems with the fact that it is only a two door car? My fiance and I plan to have kids in a a year or two, and she thinks the challenger just isn't "practical" enough. I say I will crawl into the rear and strap that baby in anyday of the week.

Also, to give y'all an idea of what my fiance is thinking in terms of a new car, we test drove a 2007 Acura RDX and Lexus IS250 tonight. The Lexus was garbage. car felt cheap and drove like my 2000 camry! The Acura however was really smooth. Like my father's 2008 RL. But at times the 4-cylinder couldn't get to the next gear quick enough.

Also plan to test a 2011 Ford Fusion. as you can see, the whole "practicality" factor is a hot issue between me and the mrs. LOL.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you are looking for "practical", the 2011 Chargers look nice and are 4 doors (built on the same chassis as the Challenger).

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
fjlin: good questions.

* yes, it is nice to have that extra boost, but I have been in a situation with my 6 and it got me out of it just fine, but yeah, just having this car in an R/T just makes you feel like you bought the right car.

* yes, the first snow was an eye opener after having FWD for the last 25 years. But I grew up with RWD and that was the norm. It is usually the first snow of the year when the roads aren't seasoned that makes them slippery.

* yes, putting the kids in the back is a little inconvenient, but we had our kids with our 2DR 72 Charger and then a 2DR 79 Aspen. It works. I think if you get an '11, the driver's seat will unlatch, too, but I don't think parents should be loading and unloading kids from the road anyway. I go by our village's Early Learning Center lots of times and it makes me nervous when the kids are getting out in the road. They like to run.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
When I bought ZoSo, I did not drive an R/T or SRT first. I was looking at a Charger since this vehicle was going to be a DD for my wife. I went on a "run" the 1st week with several HEMI owners and even after the run, I loved the performance of the SE. I have an SE-G package that came with rear spoiler, leather steering, shifter sunroof etc so just pick the option package that best suits you. I did have a little bit of HEMI-ENVY in the beginning because they can peel-out, but now I know my car and what it will do. R/T is for race track or go fast, SE is Special Edition or go as fast as you can. When running with the big boys on the straightaways or from a stop, they will run away but in the twisties, I can hang and bang with them all day. A couple of misc. minor performance mods later and she has really perked up. CAI, and 2/1/2 exhaust along with understanding how to drive the 3.5 with the shifter will thrill anyone that drives one. Yes the 2011's have a bit more HP and duel exhaust but if you can get into a 2010 for less $$$, do it. 25mpg during high speed aggressive twisty runs is really nice.

Sincerely,
No regrets SE-G owner Houston Tx.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
If you buy a 2012 Challenger SE, you will notice a significant improvement in performance over the previous model. The new Pentastar V6 puts out 305 hp instead of 250 hp. It also has 268 lb-ft of torque; yet, it should achieve 26-28 mpg on the highway. The Challenger SE's 13 horsepower increase over other Pentastar engines is due to a more aggressively designed intake air system which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s. The cam is identical.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you buy a 2012 Challenger SE, you will notice a significant improvement in performance. The new Phoenix V6 puts out 305 hp instead of 250 hp.

...you mean "2011"? You really can't beat the new SE for looks and performance. A dealership here in OC is already discounting them $3000! Hope it's true.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
never felt the need to drive the R/T or SRT after test driving the SE
It's got plenty of good performance and tons of great looks and cost thousands less than the HEMI's.
No regrets here :bigthumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts