Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told I close my Challenger trunk wrong. I'm suppose to gentle bring it down and then push down from my spoiler. I use the trunk pull down I added to my trunk. Looking at the trunk I do notice two dents from closing the trunk. I think that's normal. I don't know if using that method would have prevented it, but I don't really care that much about the dents anyways. How do u guys close your trunk?

Do you guys have the same two dents? I think it's normal unless something is wrong with my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use only the SRT strap I added to the trunk.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Is that the weather stripping coming away??

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
Do whatever you need to but don’t slam it. I gently push the top of the spoiler and let it latch on its own. For the hood I let it drop from about 10-12 inches, if you press the hood closed you’ll likely dent it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that the weather stripping coming away??
no it's the plastic part I believe. I feel like with the trunk pull down, you're meant to pull it down, not too slow, not too fast. I mean if it's too slow it ain't going down, but if it's too hard it's gonna damage it, which it already is

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or, Dodge could just build a better quality product...
Paper thin sheet metal, fragile paint and extensive use of very poor quality plastics.
Yeah I agree, I I've had Dodge vehicles for 10 years. They look good but you pay the price over time. Less than 3000 miles i've been having paint defects, alignment issues, the paint isn't that great

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
I use the yellow trunk release till I can use the heel of my hand in the center of the spoiler to push it down to latch it. I use to use my fingertips on the taillight center bar until it loosened up.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
There are bump stops that may need adjusting...the design is fine imo....

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
Or, Dodge could just build a better quality product...
Paper thin sheet metal, fragile paint and extensive use of very poor quality plastics.
Want the sheet metal thicker? The car would have a major weight gain.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just made a little hand hold and close the trunk. My hand just went there naturally and needed something to grip. You are all putting too much thought into it. Pull it, drop it, forget it. Closing the hatch on an M1 or M88 requires thought and work the trunk of a car should not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
I have a 2015 with the black plastic spoiler. I grab the end of the spoiler to lower the deck lid and then gently latch it pressing down on the middle of the spoiler. The latch closes easily when gently pressed; I never slam it closed. I don't touch the black shiny plastic with the Dodge letters or the painted part of the lid itself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I added a pull strap which I use then when it’s just a few inches
I use 4 fingers on the spoiler and close gentley I never slam

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Hmmm. Never gave a thought about how to close a trunk ever with any car in my life. i couldn't even tell you how I close it, it's not something I have ever thought about but I don't have any trunk damage. That seems odd you are getting damage from closing your trunk.

Really, I am astounded that this thread just keeps going. I am afraid what that means.....

Reactions: ckaram

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Never gave any thought to it, and I don't intend on starting. I have one of those cool little strap thingies, which I grab and yank with enough force that the trunk get's enough momentum to close itself. Probably what some would consider slamming. Oh well. If it's causing damage, then the car is a piece of shit.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
415 Posts
Really, I am astounded that this thread just keeps going. I am afraid what that means.....

Haha, well, at least it's not "What is the best oil" or "What color car should I buy" ? Seriously, people, if you are denting the trunk by closing it... DON'T PUSH SO HARD!!! FFS........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts