Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Z Automotive Tazer Settings

680 17
I recently purchased a 2021 Challenger GT RWD and it came with the STP and Sport buttons and the Performance Pages and Drive Modes on the 8.4 Uconnect screen. I installed the double bypass unit, married my tazer and then went ahead and turned on SRT modes in the Perf Settings. I did the full reboot and two sleep cycles and I thought things were good. I noticed that it didn't add the Eco mode to the drive modes and thought no big deal. I then installed a Pedal Booster and unplugged the negative terminal. When I plugged it back in I noticed right away that my 8.4 Uconnect screen was Chrysler 300 blue and I lost my Performance Pages and Drive Modes on the 8.4 Uconnect screen. I also lost the use of my STP and Sport buttons. That's not good.

Long story short, I unmarried the Tazer, did the full reboot and sleep cycles, then had to disconnect the negative terminal to finally get back my Uconnect red screen, Performance Pages, Drive Modes, and my STP button and Sport buttons. I saw in their manual that owners with a 3.6L and 5.7L would not get all the features.

The question that I've put to Z auto but has yet to be responded to is....Can I get the SRT splash screen on the Uconnect and the SRT fonts on the Evic Display (the font for the speedo is bolder and italic compared to stock) without losing my STP and Sport Buttons and the Performance Pages and Drive Modes?? I'd even settle for just getting the SRT font on the Evic Display. It's not a big ask but I'm guessing since it hasn't been answered, the answer is no...?

I'm surprised for as long as this product has been out that they haven't figured out how to get all the bugs out of it, but yet keep adding more features to it without fixing the features to be a solid for all platforms.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
I had a few issues with my Taser and had to wait for the car to re-set itself. Sometimes mine does it right away sometimes I have to drive it and turn car off and drive again for it to re-set itself after I have disconnected the battery.

My performance pages would not come up and my ability to put in sport mode was disabled but it comes back. I just had to drive the car for a bit IDN if the computer needs to re-set itself or what but its happened to me with the Taser before.

· Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
13,001 Posts
What firmware is your tazer running? Certain firmware are very glichy. BTW have you looked into getting alfaobd as you should be able to change the splash screen by changing a flag in the BCM. As for SRT fonts, that only works with SRT mode. As for bugs, dodge makes tweaks to the electronics firmware/software so you run into issues every once in a while.

· Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
13,001 Posts
Try 2.5.3, I found issues with higher levels although 2.5.6 is where I am currently at but my BCM is so modified that I can't marry my tazer to the car. For configuration changes I use alfa so the only features from tazer I use are the live functions like line lock, 3rd brake light pulse...etc.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What firmware is your tazer running? Certain firmware are very glichy. BTW have you looked into getting alfaobd as you should be able to change the splash screen by changing a flag in the BCM. As for SRT fonts, that only works with SRT mode. As for bugs, dodge makes tweaks to the electronics firmware/software so you run into issues every once in a while.
Holy Crap. I did a search on this ALFA OBD and new nothing about it. Honestly, why would anyone use a Tazer when this software appears to do everything a Tazer will modify and more? This ALFA OBD also looks to be much more stable than the Tazer is for changing settings.

· Premium Member
'22 Challenger R/T Tremec 6 Spd
54 Posts
I have both the Tazer and ALFA OBD. The Tazer can do a few things ALFA cant as Chally mentioned.

One of the coolest features of the Tazer as of the most recent updates, is provide a "PIN" or more of a "pattern" lock for anti theft purposes. The car wont move (brakes are locked on) if the correct sequence of buttons arent pressed on the steering wheel or until the theif finds your Tazer and disconnects it.

· Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
13,001 Posts
Wonder if they can program it so the horn honks like an actual alarm? They should also have it program the BCM that the trunk is disabled so if you use a bypass cable it will make it more difficult for a thief to unplug the tazer.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm learning more and more about this AlphaOBD online. I purchased the app and have yet to use it, but it seems from what I've read it kinda makes sense why when you active the SRT modes that you automatically lose the SPORT button on the console because the SRTs don't have the SPORT mode button on theirs. They have SRT which I assume are the access to the STP pages on the other models and the Launch control button. So it makes kind of sense why when you activate the SRT mode that you need to remap the SPORT button....why the hell Z Automotive doesn't explain that in their manual makes no sense as it would cut down on emails to their support team.

From what I gathered from reading up on some of the other chat forums, the AlphaOBD app can enable things but doing so would also have a trickle effect to other settings. One example was adding the Police lights option on a non police car. The Police Lights is what they call their "Stealth Mode" where you can dim all the interior lights including the dashlights including the evic screen. When you enable that feature it automatically disables the power door locks and windows to the rear doors and disables the trunk button, because neither of those features are required on a police car. It's almost like FCA got lazy with their settings manager and just made it to automatically change a few settings with one selection, not for the convenience of us guys just wanting to change one setting and keep the rest.

I can see some merit in having a Tazer that at least allows you the convenience of remapping your SPORT button. It still scares me to be messing with this Can Bus system as one slip up and you have a dead car that needs to be towed to the dealership for a re-flash and then you have to make that tow of shame. For now I think I'll keep researching this Alpha OBD more and the Tazer and walk not run into modifying my settings. All I want is the SRT fat and italic font on the evic without blowing up the rest of the car's electronics...lol.

· Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
13,001 Posts
Have you tried remapping the sport button with the tazer? My buddy's 2016 SXT did not have sport but he swapped out the center stack cluster with one that had the button and when he enabled sport it did not work. He then tried the remap feature and it worked. I was never a fan of SRT PP as just about most of the stuff did not work with my RT. -- nevermind I reread your post.

As for alfa, it is awesome software for changing the car configuration and diagnosing. Not to mention it can help relearn cam/crank if you swap out one of the sensors. It can't do throttle relearn on the challengers (HP tuners can) but paired with HP tuners you have quite a bit of control of your vehicle.

I prefer the PC version as I found the android version sometimes does not make the changes. I have used it to change mileage in an SRT 392 cluster I swapped in my RT, updated mileage on my unlocked junkyard PCM for my Durango, and used it to enable launch control on my non-STP equipped RT. It also allowed me to enable the factory tow cable I installed on my durango, swap out incandescent bulbs with LEDs without resistors, and let me change how many additional wipes the wipers cycled after performing a windshield wash. There is also JSCAN (android app) and diagFCA (PC only) which I bought diagFCA as it seems to do a better job at finding fault codes and it has subroutines to enable some configuration changes...but you have to be connected to the car to see what is available. With Alfa you can scroll thru car configurations without being connected.

As for the Tazer the features I like they are line lock, ESP disable, light show and windows up with keyfob (must be plugged in but not married). You can program the BCM to do windows down with keyfob but up will not work on challenger or my durango.

· Registered
183 Posts
I have both the Tazer and ALFA OBD. The Tazer can do a few things ALFA cant as Chally mentioned.

One of the coolest features of the Tazer as of the most recent updates, is provide a "PIN" or more of a "pattern" lock for anti theft purposes. The car wont move (brakes are locked on) if the correct sequence of buttons arent pressed on the steering wheel or until the theif finds your Tazer and disconnects it.
That's a cool feature. Hmm I might have to get it for that alone. I am guessing Tazer and Alfa void the warranty since they change factory settings?

· Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
36,782 Posts
Don't believe it's an issue since neither alter the PCM

A Guy

· Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
13,206 Posts

My 2014 Charger has a similar utility as part of the Pursuit package of goodies. If one of a couple different buttons (I shan’t reveal which ones) is pushed while the ignition is in RUN and engine is running with gear in Park, the transmission cannot be shifted out of Park until the same button is pressed again to deactivate it.

It’s not a permanent setting, each cycle of the ignition into/out of RUN resets it, but it’s good enough to prevent ne’erdowells from driving the car away if the driver suddenly exits and leaves it running.

· Registered
65 Posts
3rd brake light pulse...
Oh, you're one of those people. :)

Those flashy 3rd brake lights bother me. Especially when the driver can't keep from brake on/off for no good reason. I get away from those cars as fast as I am able.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
13,001 Posts
Oh, you're one of those people. :)

Those flashy 3rd brake lights bother me. Especially when the driver can't keep from brake on/off for no good reason. I get away from those cars as fast as I am able.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Actually I am not one of those people as I hardly touch the fat pedal because my foot is always stomping on the skinny pedal. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts