Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the stopping power website trying to find the correct kit for my SXT. What brake configuration comes stock on the v6? I'm pretty certain I don't have 4 or 6 piston, but I'm not sure if it's a single or two piston. Also have heard mixed reviews on cross drilled and slotted rotors and wanted to get some opinions.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,330 Posts
The SXT's do not have a 4 of 6 never was an option...
You can simply Jack Front and pull one of the wheels and look...

·
Registered
16,219 Posts
Open your driver's door and look for the Tire and Loading Information label.

If the original tire diameter was 18 inches you have single piston SXT brakes code BR3.

If the original tire diameter was 20 inches you have dual piston R/T brakes code BR5.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Open your driver's door and look for the Tire and Loading Information label.

If the original tire diameter was 18 inches you have single piston SXT brakes code BR3.

If the original tire diameter was 20 inches you have dual piston R/T brakes code BR5.

Thank you, this was what I was looking for. Any opinions on slotted and drilled rotors?

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,330 Posts
For a SXT stock Z17's will work fine if your not a high spirited driver what I got for my SXT stops on a dime and gives change...
Order through CAR ID with paypal at checkout and you can do a Pay it in 4 payments every 2 weeks for the kit...
So you can spread it out for 2 months.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thank you, this was what I was looking for. Any opinions on slotted and drilled rotors?
Opinion based on research for 2 weeks while knee healed....
These are decorative only, the holes are destructive.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
The holes are suppose to be for rotor cooling I think, but I have also read that the holes weaken the rotors. I chose centric high carbon solid rotors with the Z23 pads. I emailed power stop an asked if there would be any issues with using solid rotors. They said customers do it all the time.

I think the combination has worked well. No brake squeal and they stop well. Very little brake dust compared to the OEM pads.

My R/T has dual piston in the front and single piston in the back.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
333 Posts
The holes are suppose to be for rotor cooling I think, but I have also read that the holes weaken the rotors. I chose centric high iron solid rotors with the Z23 pads.
As I understand... a long time ago the 'best' racing pads had an extreme gassing / pad float side effect. The holes relieved the gas and made those pads' use possible. Materials have moved on since, but we remember the look as 'better' not particular.

Many parts books refer to the (well, cheaper is accurate) unvented rotors as "solid" for these cars and others. I suspect you mean undrilled, unslotted, solid wear face. I don't know a better word - maybe smooth? Of course, I could be wrong...

·
Registered
16,219 Posts
SRT used slots not holes with their Brembo brakes so I'd stick with slots.

Even Chevy admitted a few years back that they offered drilled rotors on the Corvette because customers thought they were cool and wanted them, and they were mostly a gimmick.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Yeah, I meant to say undrilled, unslotted rotors (smooth surface). The centric rotors I used were vented

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
278 Posts
I just this afternoon finished installing new brakes on my '14 R/T Classic. I went with Z23 pads and Centric solid rotors. Drilled rotors are a cosmetic doo-dad for a street car. I heard good things about the Z23's being dust-free (or nearly so), so I had to give them a shot. I'm sick of cleaning brake dust off my wheels every day.

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah, I meant to say undrilled, unslotted rotors (smooth surface). The centric rotors I used were vented
I think Centric may have been where I read of curved vents, Are these made that way, and a left and right?
They look like how a lot of HVAC fans are made to me!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I think Centric may have been where I read of curved vents, Are these made that way, and a left and right?
They look like how a lot of HVAC fans are made to me!
No, the vents are not curved. The rotors can be used on the left or right side.

Centric part number - 125.63061 (High carbon)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts