Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the Z23 Powerstop front kit on my 2015 SXT w/ STP performance brakes etc. Now the pedal feels spongey and
I have alot of pedal travel. When doing the install I uncovered the brake fluid reservoir
After the rotors and pads were installed I pumped the brakes a bunch of times then recapped reservoir
no fluid lost. I have 350 miles on mew pads and rotors they dont seem like a huge improvement over stock pads amd rotors
But the pedal is so mushy? Any suggestions? Should I change brake fluid? The Car has 43k miles and I am sure it is still the original brake fluid.
Any help would be great

Thanks
Jason

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
probably have the fluid replaced, flush and bleed brakes - that may clear up that symptom.

Since you probably have original fluid, likely dark color (presence of moisture absorption) and fresh fluid would be a good idea

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this hard to do? It Seems messy? And my question is do they have a machine that sucks it out of reservoir ? Maybe doing the install myself was a bad idea? Dealer quoted me $723 for new front brakes. $186 Amazon Prime drilled slotted powerstop Z23 front kit
I paid my mechanic friend $100 to R n R pads and rotors. The pedal is to mushy....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Took my SRT Challenger to Brakes Plus and supplied my own DOT5.1 fluid. They did a complete flush and fill in a half hour and charged me $45. Don't waste your time doing it yourself. They have all the equipment and experience. I would replace your fluid with DOT4 while you're at it. OE is typically DOT3.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
Is this hard to do? It Seems messy? And my question is do they have a machine that sucks it out of reservoir ? Maybe doing the install myself was a bad idea? Dealer quoted me $723 for new front brakes. $186 Amazon Prime drilled slotted powerstop Z23 front kit
I paid my mechanic friend $100 to R n R pads and rotors. The pedal is to mushy....
Have it done by a shop - the proper way is using the correct (electronic) tool to cycle the ABS pump (there's redundant brake lines) to push the old fluid out of that part of the system.

It ran me ~ $125 for a fluid flush / replace and bleed at the dealer. I do this every two years on all my vehicles

·
Registered
789 Posts
So I installed the Z23 Powerstop front kit on my 2015 SXT w/ STP performance brakes etc. Now the pedal feels spongey and
I have alot of pedal travel. When doing the install I uncovered the brake fluid reservoir
After the rotors and pads were installed I pumped the brakes a bunch of times then recapped reservoir
no fluid lost. I have 350 miles on mew pads and rotors they dont seem like a huge improvement over stock pads amd rotors
But the pedal is so mushy? Any suggestions? Should I change brake fluid? The Car has 43k miles and I am sure it is still the original brake fluid.
Any help would be great

Thanks
Jason

Never pump the brakes with the cap off. Time to bleed the brakes as you now have air in the system. Start at the right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front. Make sure to keep the reservoir full and the cap installed!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this is when I say to myself maybe I should have had the dealer just charge me the $723 I was quoted then move on. During My last oil change @ Dealer they said you need front brakes $723 total. So I researched on here and alot of people like the Z23 powerstops relatively inexpensive $186.00 on Amazon prime free shipping had my mechanic friend install. When I read about the install it said uncap the brake reservoir during install but after I should have capped it then pumped the brakes? With thick New pads I should have less pedal travel? #$?!§¥£ !

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
most likey you have air in the system. proper brake bleed is all thats needed here.. two person job, some spare new fluid, less than a hr. not hard.
after reading stopping distance reviews on another forum (which i guess we cant mention on here), Id never run powerstops pads..yes they cut down on brake dust but from all accounts they also increased stopping distance by some 30-40ft..60-0. which could be the difference between a scary near miss, or a very bad day.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Definitely sounds like you have air in your system.
Your brake fluid should be replaced around every two years, just do (or get done) a full flush, once you are doing it there is not much more work to do them all and you should start with the rears anyway, furthest first and work your way back to the shortest line.
I have a bleeder that I use that sucks the fluid through so I don't need to touch the brake pedal, shops do it this way as well, new fluid, no air!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
...Now the pedal feels spongey and I have alot of pedal travel. The Car has 43k miles and I am sure it is still the original brake fluid.
Z23 pads are great pads, but they are designed to produce less dust and to be a little less aggressive when it comes to wearing out the rotors. Powerstop has other pads available (as do many others) that are designed specifically to have the same or greater stopping power than factory pads. If greater stopping power was your goal, you bought the wrong pads. Talk to one of the Powerstop engineers like I did, and he'll tell you this. On my SRT, the factory pads were semi-metallic. Translation: very aggressive on my poor rotors and WAY too much brake dust. The Z23's are designed to eliminate most of this dust problem and they do this VERY well.

It's very popular for most of us old-timers to think that dirty brake fluid equals water in the fluid. However this is not always true. Read the report I did on another forum entitled "Brake Fluid 101." There you will see charts and data that will explain what I'm saying CLICKY HERE.
Granted it's a motorcycle forum, but the facts all apply here.

That said, moisture in your brake fluid is a given. Almost all brake fluid has at least some moisture in it as brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water from the atmosphere. Over time, the moisture content in your system will grow, it cannot be avoided. Likely, as others have said, that a brake fluid flush will fix what's ailing your brake system. Even the slightest bit of air will cause the symptoms you describe. This vapor can even be caused by getting them hot and boiling some of the water trapped in the fluid.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Do I need to bleed the rears? If The front brakes are the ones I replaced and had the pistons compressed?
Yes, bleed everything. It's time to change out the fluid anyway so why do just part of it? While ya got all the tools out, have the car jacked up, and you're already under there, doing it right only takes a few moments longer. I wonder if sometimes air bubbles can get lodged in the antilock distribution block and cause the kind of problems you describe. All that happened was you moved the fluid around. But this could also move already existing air bubbles.

Or... and I'm guessing, based on what you said, that what happened is that you already had some air in the system before you started, and when you moved those pucks back out to install your new pads, you moved a lot of fluid back toward the master cylinder and perhaps those air bubbles out of the caliper area and back up into the line. I wonder if the new location of the (already existing) air in the line might cause more marked effect on your pedal feel?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So I researched on here and alot of people like the Z23 powerstops relatively inexpensive $186.00 on Amazon prime free shipping had my mechanic friend install.
So what ever happened? Seems like you disappeared on us. I'm still trying to figure out why you got such a high price on the quote you gave above. I put Z23's on all four wheels on my SRT and paid about 110.00 if I recall.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This was pads and rotors for the fronts on my sxt 2015 w/ stp big performance brakes and suspension etc.
When I bought the 4 Firestone Firehawk indy 500 tires I got a $60 prepaid gift card I had firestone bleed my brake system $82 and replace the fluid with all new. Brakes are pretty good so far 1600 miles. So $22 not bad I forgot I had that card in my wallet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When putting the pads on did you use the lubricate provided? (anti squeel I guess) I forgot to and am hoping to not take everything apart again and not have to much noise. I did end up with the z26 though so it maybe different anyhow.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Been a while, but while you uncap the reservoir to allow you to push the new pads in, I never would pump the brakes with the reservoir uncapped. You probably pumped a lot of air into the system and the brakes need bleeding now. Just recap. No pumping. Get a one man brake bleeding kit from Amazon or the equivalent and bleed away. Kits are under $100 and some have good ratings for under $30.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So this is when I say to myself maybe I should have had the dealer just charge me the $723 I was quoted then move on. During My last oil change @ Dealer they said you need front brakes $723 total. So I researched on here and alot of people like the Z23 powerstops relatively inexpensive $186.00 on Amazon prime free shipping had my mechanic friend install. When I read about the install it said uncap the brake reservoir during install but after I should have capped it then pumped the brakes? With thick New pads I should have less pedal travel? #$?!§¥£ !
Don't be hard on yourself. Your learning the hard way which is the same way most of us learned. Folks who are unwilling or unable to learn allow the dealers to charge $600 for one hours labor. With knowledge you can pick and choose the tasks that are right for you and those you want to pay someone else to do. You have the advantage of belonging to this forum where you get a lot of knowledge for free and also get opinions on what tasks are easy or economical. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
Hal H
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing