Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have already purchased the Zaino kit for my car and I haven't used it yet as I'm waiting for some fresh paint to fully cure. I'm a bit crazy about reading as much materials as I can about a product before purchase and before use. This particular article though I didn't catch until recently and it has me a bit creeped out about using it at all!

I'd like to hear what luck you guys have had with it in regards to getting it on black body plastic (as there is quite a bit of that around the nose and trunk of the Challengers and the silicon residue left on the windshields from Zaino car shampoo.

Critics review

Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
I am very pleased with Zaino products and I have had no problems with their customer service. I do not use Zaino on my black plastic parts with the exception of the rear spoiler. The best product to use on the plastic body parts is Aerospace 303.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am very pleased with Zaino products and I have had no problems with their customer service. I do not use Zaino on my black plastic parts with the exception of the rear spoiler. The best product to use on the plastic body parts is Aerospace 303.
Granted I wouldn't think anyone that's used wax on a car before would put it on black plastic and rubber parts intentionaly, but let's face it, you're going to touch the edge of said things unless you masked them off entirely. This is more my point of concern, what happens to any portion you may unavoidably touch with the products? (window seals, grill/trunk bezels etc)

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I use zanio. I like it a lot. I do not mask any part of my SRT. With that being said, I am just careful to not touch the black platic body parts. It does comes off the glass and the window rubber moldings no problem. Don't worry about using it. Just follow the directions and you will love the results. Also the stuff last a very long time. I use it on my daily driver, 2010 4runner. It has made it past the whole winter, many car wash later and still beads water!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Any polish/wax that dries to a haze and must be buffed off will not go well on the mat plastic trim parts. This is more or less common sense in the detailing world and comes with experience and is not unique to Zaino or any other product nor is it the polishes fault if you use it on surfaces it is not intended for.

That said, I use Z2 polish on the vinyl stripes with no problems. I am careful not to cake the polish into the seams of where the decal meets metal.

I have used the Z6 detail spray with good results on the black plastic trim pieces and spoiler but I do prefer the 303 stuff on on these pieces. It does not seem to mix well with Zaino detail spray so my current regiment is to us the Z6 on the hood decal, spoiler & trim around rear tail lights as overspray from doing the bumper & trunk is inevitable. Then I use the 303 stuff for all the trim around the bottom of the car including the front spoiler.

Oh, and I have not had anything but good service in calling their customer service with questions. They are human in answering the phones however so I suppose if you call with an attitude, you may get that in return as well.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Not all sealants are the same. Even those that dry to haze can vary in characteristics including tenacity when it comes to removing them from trim. Technique can also play a part in how these products will perform during application/removal (like not allowing the product to fully set up before wiping off, using a QD to aid in removal, etc.).

I haven’t touched my Z-5 and Z-2 for years but I did use it quite extensively in the past. To be honest, I don’t ever recall having an issue with removing the product from most trim. I actually found it relatively friendly in that respect. However, just like sealants, trim will also have varying characteristics and can respond differently to products (certain textures, porous-ness of the material, etc.).

If you are worried or unsure about certain trim these products come in contact with, simply wipe the areas you bump against as you go (before it dries). You can even moisten the towel with a bit of QD (quick detailer) or a solution of water/~30% IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and carefully run it along the edges to remove any sealant. I have to admit that I’m a little shocked reading that review since I have never seen Z-2/Z-5 react by creating a “white streaks” as that reviewer described. I might even question whether it really was the result of those products or perhaps something else he used in the process (Z-PC perhaps). Anyhow, even in those cases a water/IPA solution, APC, etc. and a gentle (but firm) bristle brush can help remove stubborn residue from trim.

As for what to use on those bits, it’s really up to you. I don’t believe in a “best” solution for everyone. What matters is that it works for you. Personally, I try to avoid using dressings/protectants whenever possible and will opt for a trim-friendly sealant (like Optimum Opti-Seal) and/or a quick wax (like Duragloss Aquawax). However, recently I have switched to a semi-permanent solution from G/Techniq called C4 Permanent Trim Restorer. They claim it will last up to two years but I will be happy with 6-12 months if it means I don’t have to constantly maintain these areas. I applied to the wife’s car (our DD) and my Challenger a couple of weekends ago. I’m impressed so far but time will tell.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not all sealants are the same. Even those that dry to haze can vary in characteristics including tenacity when it comes to removing them from trim. Technique can also play a part in how these products will perform during application/removal (like not allowing the product to fully set up before wiping off, using a QD to aid in removal, etc.).

I haven’t touched my Z-5 and Z-2 for years but I did use it quite extensively in the past. To be honest, I don’t ever recall having an issue with removing the product from most trim. I actually found it relatively friendly in that respect. However, just like sealants, trim will also have varying characteristics and can respond differently to products (certain textures, porous-ness of the material, etc.).

If you are worried or unsure about certain trim these products come in contact with, simply wipe the areas you bump against as you go (before it dries). You can even moisten the towel with a bit of QD (quick detailer) or a solution of water/~30% IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and carefully run it along the edges to remove any sealant. I have to admit that I’m a little shocked reading that review since I have never seen Z-2/Z-5 react by creating a “white streaks” as that reviewer described. I might even question whether it really was the result of those products or perhaps something else he used in the process (Z-PC perhaps). Anyhow, even in those cases a water/IPA solution, APC, etc. and a gentle (but firm) bristle brush can help remove stubborn residue from trim.

As for what to use on those bits, it’s really up to you. I don’t believe in a “best” solution for everyone. What matters is that it works for you. Personally, I try to avoid using dressings/protectants whenever possible and will opt for a trim-friendly sealant (like Optimum Opti-Seal) and/or a quick wax (like Duragloss Aquawax). However, recently I have switched to a semi-permanent solution from G/Techniq called C4 Permanent Trim Restorer. They claim it will last up to two years but I will be happy with 6-12 months if it means I don’t have to constantly maintain these areas. I applied to the wife’s car (our DD) and my Challenger a couple of weekends ago. I’m impressed so far but time will tell.
Great post! Thanks for the information. I admit I'm a novice when it comes to today's sealers and waxes but I'm trying to catch back up. Did a detail on my wife's car tonight but it got a little to dark for me to put on more then one coat of Z-5 after the wash and clay-bar. Would like to get 3-4 and see what it looks like.

Out of paranoia I went ahead an masked off unpainted plastic and rubber, wasn't to much on her Charger.

Thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Great post! Thanks for the information. I admit I'm a novice when it comes to today's sealers and waxes but I'm trying to catch back up. Did a detail on my wife's car tonight but it got a little to dark for me to put on more then one coat of Z-5 after the wash and clay-bar. Would like to get 3-4 and see what it looks like.

Out of paranoia I went ahead an masked off unpainted plastic and rubber, wasn't to much on her Charger.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Nothing wrong with taping off trim/bits you want to avoid. I still do it most times when I use a buffer simply to avoid an "ooops" moment. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you're using the Zfx (the cure accelerant/catalyst), you can apply up to 3 coats within a 12 (or is it 24?) hour period. Personally, I never found a need or benefit (i.e. additional longevity) with more than 3 coats of these sealants during the initial application when I was using it, but some folks swear by their multi-coat regimen.

There are a lot of new products and technologies that have really hit the scene in recent years and even the past few months (i.e. like nano and permanent coatings). In fact, I just received a product called Opti-Coat in my last order of detailing supplies.

OC is similar to semi-permanent nano coatings (like the C4 trim product I mentioned earlier), but this is actually a "permanent" sealant. .....meaning it is as resilient as your clearcoat and would require abrasion to remove (i.e. compounding/polishing). I will be testing it out for myself in the next few weeks starting with wheels and some trim bits. The reviews so far have been very favorable though. ....I'll likely start with the wife's car (our DD). ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing wrong with taping off trim/bits you want to avoid. I still do it most times when I use a buffer simply to avoid an "ooops" moment. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you're using the Zfx (the cure accelerant/catalyst), you can apply up to 3 coats within a 12 (or is it 24?) hour period. Personally, I never found a need or benefit (i.e. additional longevity) with more than 3 coats of these sealants during the initial application when I was using it, but some folks swear by their multi-coat regimen.

There are a lot of new products and technologies that have really hit the scene in recent years and even the past few months (i.e. like nano and permanent coatings). In fact, I just received a product called Opti-Coat in my last order of detailing supplies.

OC is similar to semi-permanent nano coatings (like the C4 trim product I mentioned earlier), but this is actually a "permanent" sealant. .....meaning it is as resilient as your clearcoat and would require abrasion to remove (i.e. compounding/polishing). I will be testing it out for myself in the next few weeks starting with wheels and some trim bits. The reviews so far have been very favorable though. ....I'll likely start with the wife's car (our DD). ;)
I had heard a bit about OC as well when I was doing some research, with my current level of knowledge on the subject, permanent just wasn't something I wanted to risk yet. Let me know how it goes for you though so when I am ready to go there I already have a good idea of what to go to.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had heard a bit about OC as well when I was doing some research, with my current level of knowledge on the subject, permanent just wasn't something I wanted to risk yet. Let me know how it goes for you though so when I am ready to go there I already have a good idea of what to go to.
Will do. In fact, I will likely be creating a thread on my experiences with G/Techniq C4 and (once I get a chance to play around with) OC as well. There is a really good write up where a fellow Autopia member has already done a comprehensive long term test of the product spanning over a year. ….if I can find it again, I will post the link.

Opti-Coat has actually been around for a while but was only available to professional detailers until recently. Opti-Guard will be the pro version (with the same quick cure time as the original OC and will have a warranty/garuantee), while Opti-Coat is now the consumer version reformulated with a more forgiving cure time (but same characteristics otherwise).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts