Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the results with Zaino, so I recently purchased the kit....question is: for a brand new 2011 392 Billet Silver, is it necessary to wash the car with a "Dove/dishwasher soap" before I apply etc....will it keep the clear coat safe?

Also, dont trust myself with a claybar....if I dont try it and apply the Zaino will it be for naught? thanks.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have seen the results with Zaino, so I recently purchased the kit....question is: for a brand new 2011 392 Billet Silver, is it necessary to wash the car with a "Dove/dishwasher soap" before I apply etc....will it keep the clear coat safe?
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase.

Sal Zaino recommends Dawn (the regular blue stuff) in his instructions to help ensure the finish is free of all other products. And yes, while Dawn is good at stripping old waxes/sealants from surfaces, it is safe for use on your car for this purpose. ….I could even go into the fact that there are dedicated car wash soaps with higher pH levels than Dawn.

Products like Z-2 & Z-5 need a clean surface to adhere to according to Sal (for optimum results). I would simply follow his directions to make sure you get the most out of the products you purchased.

Also, dont trust myself with a claybar....if I dont try it and apply the Zaino will it be for naught? thanks.
Claying is really not that difficult to get the hang of. However, it can leave light (but noticeable) marring depending on several factors (i.e. technique, paint hardness, clay characteristics, etc.) especially with those new in its use. For those that are following up with a buffer/polish, it’s not that big of a deal. ….but if you’re doing it all by hand, the finish is already relatively blemish-free and you had no plans to polish, then you should take extra care while claying until you are comfortable that your process is not causing other issues that you will later need to address.

As for whether you even need a claybar or not will depend entirely on the present condition of your finish. If you understand the need/use of clay in detailing, then you will come to realize if it is even something you currently need. It’s not something that is “absolutely” necessary, but if you have noticeable contamination on the surface of your finish (i.e. you can feel grittiness), I would recommend using it. I would recommend it anyway on a new car but then again, I’m also the kind of guy who would want to do a full decon using a product like Valugaurd ABC or FinishKare Decon kit.

·
Registered
408 Posts

After washing the car, move your hand on the paint while you spray. If you do not feel mini sand-like bumps, you're probably fine. You can claybar it a year or two later after you try it out on an older car and you are more confident.

Dove is fine but don't purposely overdo it on plastic parts and use the zaino rubber/vinyl product to recondition plastic parts afterwards. The clear is not a prob.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I claybar EVERY new car we've purchased since like 2004. Brand new, showroom cars have "grit" imbedded in the finish... fail to claybar and you are essentially sealing the grit and contaminants into the finish when you wax, etc. Believe me, you'll be shocked at how dirty your claybar gets while working on a brand new car! Just make sure to use plenty of detail spray (only drag claybar over wet areas) and don't use alot of downforce on the claybar itself... just enough pressure to hold the bar to the finish... it'll be fine. If you get streaks, apply more detail spray and rub with a microfiber towel... it'll go away no problem.

"Don't half-asz it", as my Dad would always say.

·
Registered
585 Posts
ok my wife is looking for fathers day gifts and i was thinking about ZAINO products, question is what do i tell her to get. Any ideas?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Zaino is worth it, but it takes a good amount of time to do it right. The first time I applied and followed their protocol it took me 6Hrs. After that not so long. Try the clay bar, it is not that hard just take your time and use lots of spray soap (lube) at first. Try this to start with:
Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit Price:$84.70

It is pretty easy to use, just follow their directions. Get the bucket too if you can spring for the extra $35. Keep your cleaning supplies grit free when you store in there.
cR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.