Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my Challenger in the normal place I park. My office faces a grass field and the parking is on the edge of the field. The civilians that mow the lawn arrived today began to mow. During the summer, DPW pluses up with summer help. In past summers the mower guy would not get close to the cars, or if he had to, he would come ask us to move them. Well, that did not happen today. The mower guy made two passes, about a foot from my car, with the exit of the mower deck facing the car. The edge of the field and the parking lot is all dirt and rocks. One of his passes was a broad side of the passenger side. I now have about 30 paint chips on the passenger side and chips on one of the brand new wheels I put on in April. The rear and driver’s side did better but not much. My car is nine years old and not a show car. But, the total lack of respect for someone else’s property is infuriating. I had Public Safety make a report. I have a room full of SNCOs who saw it occur. I am hoping the State, as this guy is a State of MN employee, will fix it. I will post some pics when I can.

·
Super Moderator
14,934 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. That guy on the mower must be a complete idiot. Be persistent fighting the state over this. They owe you.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The civilians that mow the grass on Ft Bragg always come to my building on Tuesdays, so I always just drive my Durango on Tuesdays. No way I am having my R/T out there when they are there mowing. And yes I have also seen guys mowing right night to the cars before with the exhaust...drives me batty. I hope they pay you...a holes..

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The civilians that mow the grass on Ft Bragg always come to my building on Tuesdays, so I always just drive my Durango on Tuesdays. No way I am having my R/T out there when they are there mowing. And yes I have also seen guys mowing right night to the cars before with the exhaust...drives me batty. I hope they pay you...a holes..
They do not have a routine like that here. They can mow the same field five days in a row or skip two weeks.

I am wondering if I should just re-spray the whole car. Any ideas on that kinda of cost?

·
Registered
94 Posts
i am sure a good body shop can blend the paint to match of coarse i am no body man. very sorry to hear that! someone better pay for there ignorance.....

·
Registered
880 Posts
He knew what he was doin or he’s new. I mow/maintain ponds for a living and I tell my guys all the time do not blow grass here and here. They would especially know not to blow it on people cars

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
If the state won't reimburse you for repairs, that's what small claims court is for. But, of course, you need to get a written repair estimate from a quality body shop before you go that route. In fact, I'd get one immediately so you have some good numbers when dealing with the state. You know they won't give you a "blank check"; but, if you provide a copy of the estimate, they have a number to consider. And, listen to the body shop regarding how best to do the repair - spot repairs, entire panels, or the entire car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,637 Posts
Before you expect too much, look up, "Sovereign Immunity ".
When I was 19 my mom used my car on Christmas Eve to run to the grocery store. She was rear ended by the city safety director in his work vehicle and my insurance had to pay to fix the vehicle. The city nor the guy would not even cover my deductible. I got my punishment out 3 years later as by then I would not be an immediate suspect. Sometimes you have to get names and bide your time to get pay back, and now I am 49 so the statute of limitations is up for vandalism. :D

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Patience is a virtue... ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
That is awful dude. Take them down. Do not relent.

Unfortunately, I truth I've discovered over the years is that people that have never owned a decent car have ZERO respect for other nice cars. I wouldn't even be surprised if this act was done with malice because the person was jealous of your sweet ride. People suck - golden rule.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the replies and info Gents. As this happened on a Military Reservation, the rules are a bit different than off it. I spoke with the State Quartermaster today and he said the State of MN “...will assist with the cost of repair.” That was sent to me in an email. I followed up with a question to clarify what “assist” means. I also spoke to the civilian who is in charge of DPW/Roads and Grounds at the State level. He was waiting to review the report from Public Safety.

The guy who did it is a summer hire. They always hire extra help in the summer. Normally, these are high school kids. This dude has not been in high school in a while. The kid last year would come into the office to let us know he was going to mow, in case we wanted to move our cars. Didn’t matter which car was parked. He did it if it was my Challenger or the guy who has a 1988 Olds beater. I miss that kid.

Now begins the auto body shop search.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I have had a lawn service for 15 years mow around cars in driveway all the time .
My guys and myself are always careful I have quick shoot on the mowers
When you get near the cars or the house you push the handle to close the shoot
Nothings comes out it’s mulch up when you are in the clear you open it
It’s not that hard to avoid doing any kind of damage.
And if someone is lazy and does something stupid like that they are gone !!!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had a lawn service for 15 years mow around cars in driveway all the time .
My guys and myself are always careful I have quick shoot on the mowers
When you get near the cars or the house you push the handle to close the shoot
Nothings comes out it’s mulch up when you are in the clear you open it
It’s not that hard to avoid doing any kind of damage.
And if someone is lazy and does something stupid like that they are gone !!!
And even my kids know not to have the shoot side towards windows, people, anything valuable or parked.

At the end of the day, no one was hurt and it can be fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Seems your kids are a lot smarter then the guy who pepper the car

Reactions: YellowDuc

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The estimate is done, new paint job required. About $4,000.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,666 Posts
You did remind them the car was paint corrected and ceramic coated ;)

A Guy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts