Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in installing a 75 HP Zex Nitrous kit on my 2011 M6 SRT8 (15,000 miles) but have a couple of questions. I am only willing to "play" with the 75 hp kit because I really don't want to risk any engine damage.

1.Specifically regarding the ZEX kits, are they reliable? Their promotional material seems convincing but I would like to hear from some experienced users of the product. Any long-term users of this system?

2.Has anyone experienced any engine damage running the ZEX 75 Hp kit?

3. I would like to use a plate system (bolted to the T/B), any drawbacks to this type of configuration?

4. With an M6 transmission, what would be the best way to manage the spray, a window switch, a WOT switch or something else?

5. I will also install a water/meth kit. I do not intend to play with the timing, just want to truly cool the intake charge and some additional peace of mind that the Nitrous is being used under "optimal" conditions.

Thanks in advance for your valued opinions on this!

SRT8 Pilot

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I've only talked to like 3 people who have used NOS, now your motor can naturally handle (with the 6.1 or 6.4ll) up to 560HP with a pro-charger. A shot of 75 HP NOS shouldn't be harmful at all compared to installing a super-charger and going pedal down on that motor all the time (wouldn't we all?) . The few I knew with SRT's had a squirter system installed into their cold air intake.... that would squirt it into the motor and boom, insane power increase. They were toggled by a switch, the highest I saw was a 100HP wet shot (I think wet is less wear vs dry but I could be wrong I'm new to NOS) the 392 is a higher compressed motor so you don't want to push it too far (reason Dodge isn't using it for the new Hellcat Supercharged motors but back-dialing to the 6.1 design) regardless, I think you'd be a-Ok with a 75 HP nos shot...the motor can easily take it. Only question is what other parts can.

·
Registered
691 Posts
You don't need to worry about a water/meth kit with nitrous. Nitrous itself will cool the air charge. Nitrous is stored as a compressed liquid; the evaporation and expansion of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature.

A WOT switch is a must....which I beleive the Zex kit includes a TPS switch. A window switch is nice to control what RPM the nitrous activates but it isn't needed.

A 75 shot will be fine. Might want to get a step colder spark plug with it. Timing can most likely stay where it is with the 75 shot. Nitrous is actually very safe to use if used properly. Unfortunatley nitrous for some reason gets a negative rep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ZEX bottle full in garage

I purchased a universal kit with a purge valve/light over the front winshield 8 years ago for my 2005 Magnum R/T but never installed. Sold the magnum and got my dream car 2012 SRT Challenger. The Juice shall be loose. I've done a lot of research and less than 100hp shot can be dry (no need to add fuel), over 100hp gotta be WET so cut the fuel rail and hook up to contol box. Because I have heard that 392's have glass pistons/rods I'm going for a dry 75hp shot right into the CAI pipe a few inches behind filter. Make sure you don't spray any sensors and have a blast!!!

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
I am interested in installing a 75 HP Zex Nitrous kit on my 2011 M6 SRT8 (15,000 miles) but have a couple of questions. I am only willing to "play" with the 75 hp kit because I really don't want to risk any engine damage.

1.Specifically regarding the ZEX kits, are they reliable? Their promotional material seems convincing but I would like to hear from some experienced users of the product. Any long-term users of this system?

2.Has anyone experienced any engine damage running the ZEX 75 Hp kit?

3. I would like to use a plate system (bolted to the T/B), any drawbacks to this type of configuration?

4. With an M6 transmission, what would be the best way to manage the spray, a window switch, a WOT switch or something else?

5. I will also install a water/meth kit. I do not intend to play with the timing, just want to truly cool the intake charge and some additional peace of mind that the Nitrous is being used under "optimal" conditions.

Thanks in advance for your valued opinions on this!

SRT8 Pilot
1. I had the zex system on my 6.1 and it was very reliable. Ran a 125 shot without any problems. I do NOT recommend you run a 125 shot on your 6.4, I am only speaking of the reliability of the zex system itself.

2. I don't think I have heard of anyone damaging their 392 with a 75 shot. It is a very mild amount of nitrous.

3. The plate system is a cleaner install and atomizes the fuel-nitrous mixture better than a single fogger. The only drawback is it costs more.

4. Definitely get a window switch. You can get away without one with an auto, but I would never even think of running nitrous on a manual car without a window switch. The rpms are gonna soar with nitrous and all it takes is one mishap where you hit the rev limiter with nitrous spraying and BOOM!

5. The intake charge when spraying nitrous will already be well into the negative digits. When nitrous sprays out of the bottle it is VERY cold. It's one of its nice advantages over boost. No need for meth injection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts