Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here goes, I decided to give Nitrous a shot and went with a Zex blackout kit, racer kit and MSD window switch. The install took a total of three days but well worth it.

I mounted the bottle and MSD in the trunk where the spare tire goes however I really didn't want to drill a lot of holes so I mounted on an aluminum plate where the spare tire fastens and it worked out well. Also I installed quick connects and the entire plate can pop out and the spare can go back in.

I mounted the ZEX unit on the back side of the firewall support where the strut bar mounts. It worked out well and is very hidden.

I mounted the purge solenoid again on the firewall the far left side under the plastic cover. I had to get a -3an to pipe for the outlet of the purge solenoid so that I could tie in a flex line to run to the intake ducts on the hood. I think that will be a good spot to purge.

I ran all the power lines from a painless cirkit boss 70203 that I hid under the current relay box in the engine compartment. Worked out well and gives that added portection.

Ran the white wire from the MSD to the blue wire on the #3 coil for the rpm.

Ran the yellow wire from the MSD to the ground of the ZEX unit

Ran the black wire from the MSD to the ground post by the battery in the trunk.

Ran the red wire from the MSD to the arm switch in the console along with the red wire wire for the ZEX unit that way when I arm both units turn on.

Ran the white wire from the ZEX to the TPS switch down by the harness

Took all the power leads and ran down to the home made console switch.

All in all about 100 feet of wire and 20 feet of casing. I popped all the wires through the firewall where the current lines went through.

Pics to large to load i will reduce them and post soon.

Last thing to do is fill the bottle and install the new iridium 1 step colder plugs 2314. I'm going to start with a 100 shot and see how it goes.

Nice clean install and hard to see.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
Great write up sounds like you did a great job on the install, looking forward to seeing the pics.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Photos of Zex Install

OK Guys, here are a few pics and let me know if you want anything else.

I will post the pics of the purge setup once I get the last two NOS lines

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Few more pics of the ZEX Install

Thanks, here are a few more photos of the install

Waterproof quick connect in the trunk for removal

Close up of plate with MSD Window Switch

Pic showing the ZEX unit hidden after everything is back on, it's on the right at the curve of the Serious Metal Strut Tower Brace

Pic of the Painless Cirkit boss mounted under the engine compartment electric panel, what you see is it bolted underside to the plastic front cover, just about to wrap all the wires up to make it nice and tidy!

NOS install until I finish making my own NOS plate for the throttle body

Purge solenoid showing with the plastic cover back on

For more photos you can check out my photo gallery!

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey there go easy I'm typing on the fly off my iPhone.

Nitrous is often used as an abbreviation for nitrous oxide, also referred to as NOS. The term NOS is derived from the initials of the company name Nitrous Oxide Systems, one of the pioneering companies in the development of nitrous oxide injection systems for automotive performance use.

Overview
When nitrous oxide decomposes, a single mole will release 1/2 mole of oxygen gas, allowing an oxygen saturation of 33% to be reached. Air, which contains only 21% oxygen, permits a maximum saturation of only 21%. This oxygen combines with hydrocarbons such as gasoline, alcohol, and diesel fuel to produce carbon dioxide and water vapor, which expand and exert pressure on pistons.

Nitrous oxide is stored as a liquid in tanks, but because of its low boiling point it vaporizes easily when released to atmosphere. When injected into an inlet manifold, this characteristic causes a reduction in air/fuel charge temperature with an associated increase in density, thereby increasing the cylinder's volumetric efficiency.

When N2O breaks down in the engine's combustion phase, the oxygen atoms are freed from their bond to the nitrogen atoms in an exothermic reaction, contributing to the overall power increase.

Nitrous systems can increase power by as little as 0.5*hp (0.37*kW) or as much as 3,000*hp (2,200*kW), depending on the engine type and nitrous system type. In many applications torque gains are even greater as increased fuel is burnt at a lower rpm range and is what causes the significant improvement in acceleration. All systems are based on a single stage kits but these kits can be used in multiples (called 2, 3 or even 4 stage); the most advanced systems are controlled by an electronic progressive delivery unit that allows a single kit to perform better than multiple kits can. Most Pro Mod and some Pro Street drag race cars use three stages for additional power, but more and more are switching to pulsed progressive technology. Progressive systems have the advantage of utilising a larger amount of nitrous (and fuel) to produce even greater power increases as the additional power and torque is gradually introduced as opposed to being applied to the engine and transmission immediately, reducing the risk of mechanical stress and consequently damage.

AKA ZEX!

Reactions: 70stroker

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
All in good fun bud. Hence the :icon_razz:

FWIW, there's a lot of noobies that call it NOS, and it is typically considered a sign of noobines :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL, I know, im just having fun.

Take it easy!
:browsmiley:

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys, great pics and install. Ya mean its not Nawzzz...lol lol
FlatTop

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your nitrous bottle should be facing front to back with the top of the bottle facing the front of the car. Once you start getting low on nitrous you could uncover the pick up tube inside the bottle.:bangin:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comment, but the specs form ZEX shows two options the way I have and the way you suggested.

I have ran it this way for two seasons without issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All in good fun bud. Hence the :icon_razz:

FWIW, there's a lot of noobies that call it NOS, and it is typically considered a sign of noobines :)
That is the truth! I've used NOS products since the 80's (installing a Fogger kit on my TA right now) - yeah I'm that old LOL, but hearing everyone call it NAAWWWSS is so freaking annoying!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Great write up but you never said how the performance is and how it feels?Also is it hooked up to the pedal to activate it or just by switch?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi the performance was great, my best time was 12.15 with a 125 shot. I used an MSD window switch that was tied to the throttle wire that was set to wot at 3000 rpm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts