Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently it was reported Chrysler was buying some ZF 8 speed autos, and preparing to build them under license.

Presumably, they could end up in Challengers and Chargers, etc.

So has anyone heard if they are going into the Challenger, and if so, when? That might be my "trigger" to buy. They've made the 392 more fun to drive, and a world class transmission would really make it a serious performing car.

Epic, even.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I believe that they are schedule for a mid-year roll out so look for them in the Challenger in the Summer of 2011.

The 5-speed auto is much better for racing but the 8-speed auto and a 392 will most likely get better gas mileage than the R/T.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I wouldn't want a 8 speed auto. 3 more gears of confusion for the computer..and you!
People don't know where they are with the auto stick...imagine it with the 8.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i'm not 100% sure but i thought the trucks were getting them first. That's all the 6.7 cummins has been waiting for was a tranny to hold up to it so they can release a lot more of the horsepower and tourqe that it has been choked back due to no tranny being able to withstand it. And when it happens watch out FURDS and CHEBBIES cause the RAM will be king again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The big reason to desire an 8 speed for me is, that it offers a wider ratio of gears. So Chrysler could put a really low rear axle ratio on the Chally, which would give great acceleration in the lower gears, then as you come up to freeway cruising speeds, it would shift up to 7 or 8th gear, and the engine revs would drop back to down to affordable levels. Best of both worlds, hard acceleration off the line, and reasonable fuel economy when cruising. Maybe for 2012?

·
Super Moderator
15,089 Posts
Chrysler is in the process of building the transmission plant to build the ZF licensed 8-speeds in their own plant.

It was probably more cost effective to have these units produced in-house rather than pay for finished assemblies or knock-down kits that would need assembly (and a place in which to put them together that isn't available yet).

It appears than it will be a late 2011 model year (or 2012 altogether) phase-in of the ZF 8-speed automatic. (thanks to Resume Speed)

As it stands today, the Mercedes designed W5A580 / NAG1 transmission is built in the US plants under license as well...Chrysler isn't buying complete assemblies, but rather building them in the US in their own facilities.

Most likely this will be repeated for the upcoming ZF tranny as well -

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
I would have to drive an 8 speed to be sure but I'm thinking it would be negative not a positive. 5 speeds already shift up and down too much for my taste.

·
Registered
394 Posts
8-speeds won't make it into any 2011 model year vehicles.
So we will see them in 2012 Challengers? :browsmiley:

I'm hoping that by the time the 392 and the 8Spd Auto get together my wallet and I will be ready to join them! :bouncy:

·
Registered
733 Posts
been driving several times with a 7 gear double clutch BMW M3.
it's not a slaggy and unpowerful automatict transmission but a manual gear box with 2 clutches controlled by the computer.

guys....this gearbox really rocks! and even 7 gears are definitely not too much. 1st gear is very low which helps to shoot you of the line like a rocket and 7th gear is long enough for good milage on the freeway or autobahn.

and in between you can shifts within 0.2secs between each gear. gears are very close together so you're able to always have the right gear for shooting out of the next corner.

once you drove one you don't wanna go back. Look at all supercars like Ferrari's, Lamborghini's or even the Nissan GT-R. All have a double clutch gearbox with 6 or 7 gears. It's really freaky fast stuff....

·
Registered
733 Posts
here's a vid where you can "hear" the gearbox. It's a shame Dodge doesn't offer such a double clutch gearbox.
You can get stuff like that in every VW Golf/ Rabbit Granny car.....

·
Super Moderator
15,089 Posts
8-speeds won't make it into any 2011 model year vehicles.
Thanks, I've revised the preceding post...I had read June 2011 somewhere, but information does change.

This may be a late introduction, much like the W5A580 tranny phase in on the SEs that took place as running production change during the '09 models.

Then again, lots of potential outcomes...but like RS mentions, not until the 2012 models are underway from what he knows.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Thanks, I've revised the preceding post...I had read June 2011 somewhere, but information does change.

This may be a late introduction, much like the W5A580 tranny phase in on the SEs that took place as running production change during the '09 models.

Then again, lots of potential outcomes...but like RS mentions, not until the 2012 models are underway from what he knows.
The contracts with ZF were not signed until this past summer, at which time the 2011 models were "locked up". Also, they want to be able to have "something new" for the 2012 model year, especially since there were so many changes on the 2011 models.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The contracts with ZF were not signed until this past summer, at which time the 2011 models were "locked up". Also, they want to be able to have "something new" for the 2012 model year, especially since there were so many changes on the 2011 models.
So, will we see an "IE"-type vehicle announcing the "new" 8-speed?
--Like something "special" to launch the new tranny.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Here's is what I learned this morning. The 8-speed auto for the Challenger is still up in the air. It's certainly not going to be a mid-year roll out. Maybe in 2012 but then only being slated for the 6-cylinder cars and the SE Challenger might not be one of them. No immediate plans for it to be behind a Hemi engine.

So if you're waiting for an 8-speed auto mated to a Hemi Challenger, it might very well be a long wait.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts