Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing the zf rear ends have the ring gear welded to the carrier. I also have heard talk of some guys going to a 430 ratio. Anyone know if the 430 is actually available?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I am hearing the zf rear ends have the ring gear welded to the carrier. I also have heard talk of some guys going to a 430 ratio. Anyone know if the 430 is actually available?

The ZF is welded, so you do have to swap the whole unit.

You have four ratios:

2.62 (Hellcat Auto)
3.09 (Auto)
3.70 (Hellcat Manual)
3.90 (Manual)

If you have a 3.09, a move to a 3.70 could work well for you.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ZF is welded, so you do have to swap the whole unit.

You have four ratios:

2.62 (Hellcat Auto)
3.09 (Auto)
3.70 (Hellcat Manual)
3.90 (Manual)

If you have a 3.09, a move to a 3.70 could work well for you.
Thanks. Yea I seen those ratios were available. Did not know if there was a 4.30 available from Mopar performance or not. I have m6 with 3.90. More gear would be nice.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You want more gear?:eek2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
my 2015 rt 6m with 3.90 gear has the goodyear fi tires which are 28.7 dia...the gear charts say that is a 3.76 actual ratio.....I need new tires and am looking at the general g max 05 in 245 40 zr20 size which is 27.7 dia...the gear charts calculate that to a 4.04 actual ratio.....I think that would help get the car moving quicker....what is stoping me is the smaller side wall maybe causing more wheel hop than I have now ? the g max a/s may have a softer sidewall than the fi supercar tire which may actually decrease wheel hop...I am not sure...may be an option for you to get more gear

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 2015 rt 6m with 3.90 gear has the goodyear fi tires which are 28.7 dia...the gear charts say that is a 3.76 actual ratio.....I need new tires and am looking at the general g max 05 in 245 40 zr20 size which is 27.7 dia...the gear charts calculate that to a 4.04 actual ratio.....I think that would help get the car moving quicker....what is stoping me is the smaller side wall maybe causing more wheel hop than I have now ? the g max a/s may have a softer sidewall than the fi supercar tire which may actually decrease wheel hop...I am not sure...may be an option for you to get more gear
You are correct. Less sidewall is a problem on launching. More side let's the tire work. I run 275x45x20. They are 29.5" tall. This isn't a huge change but these things are over 4000lbs. It takes some gear to get these things to launch, yes I know the hellcat has same gearing if 6 speed, 3.90 but 700 hp makes a difference. Imagine if ya put some gear in that!. Been around fast cars forever, I'm 55, been there done that. This car I purchased for a retirement project . So it will get a lot of go fast goodies as I am planning to track the girl. I will in the end run a smaller diameter rim with a 29 to 30" tire on the rear but gearing is an issue. The 275x45x20 has helpeda ton on wheel hop and this little engine pulls this tank to constant 4.9 0-60 but you can't launch more than 2000 or your up in smoke but it's 10000% bettet than the f1 trash. Since we are limited to the 3.90 we will just have to get more power lol. That is a double edge sword though more power harder to get traction but with a tall sidewall drag radial or stragglers slick for the track we will be good.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Bringing this thread from the dead as I recently swapped my diff and cracked open the old one only to find the ring gear bolted to the spool with no signs of it being welded.

The diff is easy to tear apart and assemble so I wonder why there are no kits to rebuild them? I mean why would FCA have replacement bushings for the front then?

Also wonder why no one has made full metal snubbers (#3 in pic above) as is done for the rear cradle bushings to limit movement?

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Bringing this thread from the dead as I recently swapped my diff and cracked open the old one only to find the ring gear bolted to the spool with no signs of it being welded.
View attachment 991873

The diff is easy to tear apart and assemble so I wonder why there are no kits to rebuild them? I mean why would FCA have replacement bushings for the front then?
View attachment 991875 View attachment 991876

Also wonder why no one has made full metal snubbers (#3 in pic above) as is done for the rear cradle bushings to limit movement?
View attachment 991877
I found it very odd when I heard they were welded. Was that ever confirmed? I think this is the Myth buster thread! It may be time to check with US Gear on any updates with availability on gear sets.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
I found it very odd when I heard they were welded. Was that ever confirmed? I think this is the Myth buster thread! It may be time to check with US Gear on any updates with availability on gear sets.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
When I inspected the ring gear I saw no visible weld from the gear to the spool. I was tempted to unbolt the ring gear but I scrapped it already.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They said it was bolted and welded. If you look at the ring gear where it mates to the carrier it looks to me it's got a nice weld around it, but not to clear zooming in on Pic.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
The spool/carrier is not round like the ring gear but irregular...you can see it go up and down around the bolts. That fillet is part of the ring gear not carrier. Dang...I knew I should have unbolted it.

Just saw a thread on the HC forum where someone state the 2.62 were welded but not the 3.09?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts