Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new car- 3 weeks old

got my z-2 ready to apply this weekend

it says to strip the old wax....do new cars come with wax on them?

clay bar- can i do this later if i wish or does the finish need to be stripped to use it?...my finish is great and i dont feel i need it now

·
Registered
302 Posts
new car- 3 weeks old

clay bar- can i do this later if i wish or does the finish need to be stripped to use it?...my finish is great and i dont feel i need it now
Long time Zaino user here.

Wash the car the first time with either Dawn dishwasher soap, what that will do is strip the car of anything being on ther clearcoat wax etc.

After that clay the car but clay the car wet by that I mean as you clay make sure the car is constantly wet in front of the clay bar. You will be suprised how much rail dust you will remove from a brand new car. Trust me you dont see it but rail dust sticks to new car paint like gum on a hot sidewalk.

After that wash it with either the Zaino car wash soap/water or regular car wash soap/water.

Now remember after you wash it with Dawn soap you are down to thebare clearcoat, be careful dont run up against it etc or you will seriously scratch the clearcoat.

Start the Zaino process Z3-Z5 etc whatever you have bought, hope you bought the ZFX also, will make the curing process ALOT faster.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i bought the accelerator for the z-2

what about the stripes? i assume no claybar on it?

what towels do you use? i bought 6 of their microfiber ones...

looks like i need to devote a whole day to my first coat of z-2

i bought 10 of their applicator pads...i assume 1 is good enough for waxing each time?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I agree with NYC on this one i would claybar your car first i did the same thing when my car was new i didnt think it needed it but i was amazed at how it was after.Also i claybarred the black stripes and they were fine.Zaino is awsome!!!It will take the whole day but after that all you do is hit it with the zaino detail spray.Also you can build up the z2 on top of each other then it really pops.Once you have the first coat on the other coats only take minutes.One other thing make sure there are NO water spots on the paint before you put the first coat of Z2 on or they will stay there and not rub out unless you clay bar them out!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Huggytree;
Nice ride!
I'm in Janesville. I will be getting a Zaino kit soon and looking forward to seeing how my 2 yr old paint will turnout
If you get down this way look me up!
I just put a 3400 converter in the car and finishing up some things before I go to Challengerfest April 29th.
Are you going?
PM me sometime.
Later,
Don

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
new car- 3 weeks old

What other products did you buy with the z-2 besides the accelerator?

This really depends on what the dealer applied. Cleaning the paint with wither regular blue Dawn (as Sal Zaino suggests), odorless mineral spirits, an IPA solution, decon kit, etc. will help remove any products, polishing oils or fillers the dealer may have used. ....and will help avoid compatibility issues or possible degradation in the performance of the z-2.

Clay helps remove contaminants on the surface of your paint. Usually, there will be some level of contamination on a new car during transportation or while the car parked on the lot(s). Some folks use a plastic bag to check but I usually run my soapy hand over the finish while washing to evaluate the surface. If you do decide to clay, you need to use caution because you can instill micro-marring with too much pressure and/or by not using enough lubricant. You need to use a good quick detailer, task-specific lubricant, a slick car wash solution or something similar. I wouldn't suggest simply using water as it really lacks the lubricity of some of the solutions mentioned.

Just some random notes.... I would closely evaluate the finish after the decontamination wash (using your Dawn or whatever). Use halogen work lamp if you have them and/or pull the car out under the sun. If the vehicle was prepped using fillers or polished prior to you taking delivery, chances are that you may notice more scratches that were "not there" previously. I would do a once over during and after claying as well. If you find blemishes during the process, you might want to address them prior to application of the z-2. If you also have z-5, that will help hide some of the more minor flaws.

....btw, the clearcoat is not particulalry vulnerable at this point IME/IMO. In most cases, what you do to instill scratches now (while the paint is bare), will happen as well while most LSP's (waxes/sealants) are on the surface. Except in a few cases (i.e. like with some permanent/semi-permanent coatings), most LSP's simply don't provide that level of protection against abrasions. In either case, it still good practice to mindful of keeping the finish as blemish-free as possible.

Also note that the Zfx does two things.... It helps each coat cure faster and (according to Sal) helps enhance the characteristics of the product it is mixed with (i.e. z-5, z-2). In addition, because it allows the product to cure faster, you are able to apply up to 3 subsequent coats within a 12 (or is it 24?) hour period.

·
Registered
302 Posts
yes i bought the accelerator for the z-2

what about the stripes? i assume no claybar on it?

what towels do you use? i bought 6 of their microfiber ones...

looks like i need to devote a whole day to my first coat of z-2

i bought 10 of their applicator pads...i assume 1 is good enough for waxing each time?
There towels are awesome, the first time you do the Zaino process is the longest after that you can put 2 coats and take them off in less then 1 hour, no joke!

And yes 1 applicator the most you can use or I would use is twice once on each side.

You can claybar anything as long as it is wet and stays wet before you clay it.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just ordered the clay bar too...im curious

doesnt the debris it collects scratch across the car? i havent a clue how it really works...

ordered another 6 towels too

·
Registered
302 Posts

doesnt the debris it collects scratch across the car? i havent a clue how it really works...

When the clay bar gets to saturated with debris you use another side of it.

Trust me this whole process is simple the first time is the longest, let me put it to you this way I can wash and put 2 coats of Zaino in under 2 1/2 hours fully detailed.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when its full of debris arent you sliding the debris around the cars finish?

·
Registered
302 Posts
when its full of debris arent you sliding the debris around the cars finish?
The clay bar absorbes it and it does not scratch the finish just keep an eye on the bar as you do it.

Remember the clay bar is like play doh you can just fold it numerous times and find clean sides.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

The key to the functionality of clay as a relatively safe, contaminant removal tool is lubrication. Without it (or without an adequate amount of it), it can abrade the finish and/or leave clay residue on the surface you're applying it to (making a mess in the process). Most OTC/retail clay is sold in a "kit" that contains a bar and a quick detailer or a task-specific clay lubricant.

In itself, clay is abrasive but also pliable, relatively soft and a little sticky. What the lubricant does is help the clay to "glide" along the surface of the paint instead of grabbing/abrading. However, contaminants that happen to be laying on top of the paint and come in contact with the clay are sheared from the surface and collected into the the product. Continual folding of the clay is necessary to keep the contaminants within the product. As the clay becomes soiled you fold/knead it and re-flatten into a shape you can use. ....always us plenty of lube. If you feel the clay "grabbing" and/or notice clay residue on the paint, you are definitely not using enough.

The aggressiveness of clay can vary. Most of the retail brands are considered relatively mild. However, there are also heavier cut grades available (like Meguiars Professional series red bar) for more serious scenarios. The same is true for lighter grades intended for more frequent use (light contamination) like Sonus UFC. The lighter the clay, the less potential for marring but also the less aggressive it is against contamination. In either case the ability for these products to produce blemishes is still there and proper technique is necessary to mitigate this risk.

Clay can help remove industrial fallout, brake dust/rotor filings (to an extent), rail dust (to an extent), overspray and other "bonded" contaminants. In some cases clay isn't enough to extract certain materials from the paint (metal shavings from rail dust, rotors/pads, etc. that can appear as rust blooms). In those cases a decontamination product like the FinishKare Decon kit, Iron-X or Valuguard ABC are much better suited. ....but that's another topic.

·
Banned
675 Posts
The claybar is amazing. I used it on my brand new car only 31 miles on it. Washed it first, dried it off with microfiber towels, then used the meguairs quick detailer spray and clay bar. When I was done the bar had so much debris in it,and you could totally tell the difference on the paint by rubbing your hand across it.

Then I applied the was and the car was so smooth

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
When the clay bar gets to saturated with debris you use another side of it.

Trust me this whole process is simple the first time is the longest, let me put it to you this way I can wash and put 2 coats of Zaino in under 2 1/2 hours fully detailed.
Great info here!!NYC is right again!Just keep kneeding the clay bar while you are using it squish it in your hands and keep it moving like pizza dough??LOL

·
Registered
973 Posts
Clay is king. Expect to spend ~1.5 hours on this step. Clay will remove all the crud off your car so the paint will shine through after polishing\waxing. A very important and often overlooked step.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought Zaino products a couple of weeks ago and spent most of the afternoon detailing my car. Their products get 2 thumbs up from me. Car looks fantastic

Used the clay bar and spritzed a solution of Z-7 car wash and water to keep the car lubricated. Amazing how much junk was removed. Kept twisting/mashing the clay until I would get a clean side.

Definitely do this in the shade or the lube will dry on you.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Ah, Zaaaiiinnnooooo... :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Welcome to the cult!

A word to the wise about clay bars. If you drop em, throw them away. The grit it picks up from a second on the concrete is going to be much more abrasive then contaminants it picks up off your finish after washing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts