Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am not really new to the forums. Last time I have been on was back in 2008 where there was not many choices for an aftermarket exhaust for the SRT8 and I have been reading a good amount of reviews on the zoomers exhaust and purchased one back then. Unfortunately, ever since I purchased it, I have been having issues with my exhaust. Customer service is excellent so don't get me wrong there. Zoomers sent me the wrong exhaust clamps twice and on the second time, I was in London, UK and they sent me the clamps there free of charge which I really appreciate. However, I am no expert and I have had an annoying whistling sound ever since but have managed to deal with it up until now where I may have to change the exhaust of I can't get a solution.

Here's my issue:

When I drive between 2-4k rpm, the growl is there but I also get a whistling sound that is even louder. I have taken the car to numerous garages to see what the issue was. First I was told that I had the wrong clamps fitted so Zoomers acknowledged it and sent me new clamps. They were obviously the wrong ones so Zoomers again sent me another set and this time 4 garages (I always get more opinions on this) agreed that this was the right ones I needed but the whistling was still there. It mostly just comes and goes but for the past year and a half, it's getting louder and louder so I decided to ship the whole car to another country just for this issue to be solved. I got it back with the same sound lol. I lived with it for a while but today I took the car to a workshop that told me I had exhaust leak so I had them take out the exhaust and clean it and re-install it. I thought this would be it but I was wrong. It's still there.

My question is this, is anyone familiar with an issue like this? Is there a solution?

I really like the sound from the zoomers but I got to a point where I either get a solution or buy a new exhaust system. I made sure the exhaust was inspected to see if it was damaged but from the outside, it's all good. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daij

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Does the whistle change with the rpm's? If you rev it does it go higher and lower? Have you tried having someone rev it while you checked to see where the whistle is coming from? What tips did you use?

·
Registered
214 Posts
You positive it's the exhaust. Instead of shipping it all around I think I would have put the original back on if available or re-placed the system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the whistle change with the rpm's? If you rev it does it go higher and lower? Have you tried having someone rev it while you checked to see where the whistle is coming from? What tips did you use?
If I rev it, you barely hear a whistle but when you drive the car, the whistle gets louder starting from 2-3k rpm and then the whistle gets louder for every gear until you forget about it since the exhaust sound after 4-5k rpm sort of blends in with the whistling.

I am a noob with engines but this car, I only have the exhaust, intake, and Diablo sport which I put back to stock some time ago.
What I did right now is look at the intake to see if that is my issue and not the exhaust. A friend of mine, about an hour ago, suggested I remove the intake cone to see if the whistling stops. His theory is it could be the intake and not the exhaust system but I clearly hear the noise coming from the back. I was open to suggestions so I unscrewed the cone and took the car out for a spin. The whistling stopped and then came back. I am starting to think the issue is the intake but I am just experimenting to find what could be the reason.

I have an AFE intake system on my 2008 SRT8 challenger. I googled 'AFE intake whistling noise' and looked like this for a while :icon_eek:
Lots of complaints online about a whistling sound on various cars. If it does turn out to be the intake then this is one of those moments that requires a facepalm meme pic lol.

But then again, not sure if it is the case until I put it back to stock intake.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The first thing that came to mind while reading the beginning of your second post is that some intakes make a whistle sound. Mine only does it when shutting down. Did you happen to keep your stock intake?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first thing that came to mind while reading the beginning of your second post is that some intakes make a whistle sound. Mine only does it when shutting down. Did you happen to keep your stock intake?
I never had an issue with any aftermarket intake but this is my first time I use AFE. Probably my last if it does happen to be the intake. I do have my stock intake which I am planning on installing tomorrow to make sure this is my issue and not anything related to the exhaust. I am reading threads on the forums to decide on what intake to go with.

I appreciate the feedback on here as well so thank you all

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's the exhaust. And it's very annoying. I'm working on a replacement system now. They have a unique sound and in that rpm range there is a distinct whistle. I've tried two different aftermarket intakes current is LMI Hammer. They both created the whistle with the exhaust as well as the factory air box. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Do you have aftermarket exhaust tips, if you are running a split tip the whistle could be coming from that, another suggestion would be to have your exhaust welded instead of using clamps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the exhaust. And it's very annoying. I'm working on a replacement system now. They have a unique sound and in that rpm range there is a distinct whistle. I've tried two different aftermarket intakes current is LMI Hammer. They both created the whistle with the exhaust as well as the factory air box. Hope this helps.
Are there exhaust systems with a similar sound to the zoomers? I installed the OEM box and the sound is still there. I am now sure it's an exhaust issue just don't know what can be done about it.

Do you have aftermarket exhaust tips, if you are running a split tip the whistle could be coming from that, another suggestion would be to have your exhaust welded instead of using clamps.
I have the stock tips on. Interesting suggestion but I may sell the exhaust and purchase something else. So many great reviews on the zoomers and Me and SRTbatmobile seem to be the only ones with this issue. Could be our bad luck as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First I have heard on that with the zoomers. My brother and I both have that exhaust with no whistle. Be interesting to find out what is causing that. We both have the split tips and LMI intakes on ours also with no whistle.
I honestly don't know what is causing it. If you take a look at the afe intake, I took out the blue cone and drove the car around and had no whistle for a few minutes but then it started to get louder. Now with the stock box on, the whistle comes and goes. I blamed it on the exhaust then was convinced it was the exhaust. Now I am just lost. I like the sound of the zoomers and while a lot hate the minimal drone, I actually like it. I am willing to change the exhaust but would want something that sounds like it. What I think is best to do, is get a few vids of the noise and see what you all think. It's easier to get a new exhaust but now I just want to know what's causing it

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I honestly don't know what is causing it. If you take a look at the afe intake, I took out the blue cone and drove the car around and had no whistle for a few minutes but then it started to get louder. Now with the stock box on, the whistle comes and goes. I blamed it on the exhaust then was convinced it was the exhaust. Now I am just lost. I like the sound of the zoomers and while a lot hate the minimal drone, I actually like it. I am willing to change the exhaust but would want something that sounds like it. What I think is best to do, is get a few vids of the noise and see what you all think. It's easier to get a new exhaust but now I just want to know what's causing it

Take it to a GOOD muffler shop and have them reinstall it. Initially mine were installed poorly and the drivers side tailpipe was hitting against the trunk well. Really rattled my ears. Then I took it to a quality exhaust shop and they pushed all the pipes in as far as they'd go with a rubber mallet and a piece of wood. If this is done there should be no issues. As long as there is 1/2" between the pipes and the car you're good to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure how to embed a vid from iPhone but here is a link. I know 7 seconds is not enough to judge but its late at night and I didn't want any angry people waking up lol

Whistling sound from Zoomers exhaust - YouTube

I spent all day on the car today trying to figure out what's causing it but I am now convinced it has nothing to do with the intake. I took it to the best muffler shop in the Country and I am sure I have no leaks anywhere now. The whistling sound is very faint in the vid but after taking this vid, the tailpipes came to mind. Going to get the tips removed tomorrow to see if this could be it. If not then the next step would be to go with a solo exhaust otherwise I am just gonna lose more hair trying to figure this out

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Have you talked to Frank at Zoomers about this? Maybe you got a defective exhaust and need to exchange for another set.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The whistle sound is more noticeable from outside of the car or with the windows down. Only from 2k to about 3k rpm.
Reading some more into the exhaust specs this states the vortex expansion chamber is an efficient flow-through design with a twist literally. As the turbulent exhaust enters the chambers larger diameter, it's contoured and spun by a special set of vanes. The result is a drop in pressure, which aids in scavenging the system.
What I take from it is the exhaust it's self twist the gases which creates the whistle. It is unique to the zoomers kit and this is the only catback I have ever heard it on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
solution

turn up your stereo.

have the system welded....clamps usually leak.....one more thing, you could have them put exhaust sealer (liquid exhaust gasket) on all clamp joints. this is the cheapest way to do this.....i noticed you were on sand.....hopefully you are using a full box intake. (factory system) keep that sand from coming in the intake...

p.s. share with us your per gallon gas price.... I wish you could hook up the forum with some cheap high test gas

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
My Zoomers doesn't leak or whistle. Hope u can get it fixed!

To answer Big d question, I think they pay something like .29.a gallon. No offense, but Bahrain has the US to come to it's aid, so it needs minimal national defense. Our country could offer it's citizens the same pricing, but we have a world to police.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
If you decide to give up on the Zoomers system, check-out the Borla ATAK. I looked and listened to both before I made a purchase. IMO they are very similar in sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OmahaRumble- I think that's the best thing to do right now. I read on the charger forums that some have experienced the same issue and Zoomers sent him new tips!
Now I'm getting somewhere. But that's for the charger and I don't remember tips being part of the purchase but I need to check and remove the tips to see if its the tips that's causing it and not a defect or worn out part. Gonna give them a call today and see when I can get this sorted out.

SRTbatmobile- That's exactly it. I am hoping its not the case though and just need to check the tips to make sure nothing is loose before I send an email to them.

Big D- I wish I can share cheap gas with the world. A full tank of gas for the challenger costs $16.90 in Bahrain but when I had the car in the UK, a full tank was $179 which is just madness. We go by liters and its $0.27 per liter for the best fuel which is equivalent to your 91 octane gas but bare in mind, the gas here isn't as clean as the US because no one really seams to care about pollution for now.

Roostking- it's a bit more complicated than you think. 35% of the world's oil trade takes place in this region and there is only one way in and out for oil tankers and that's on a strait called the strait of Hormuz. With a political mess going on in Iran, they have a reputation of setting up sea mines to disrupt trade here. The US fifth fleet navy in Bahrain mainly maintains the zone because they have the firepower to combat any disruption in the area but also to avoid war like conflicts. There are many opinions on the matter and why the US patrol the region but political experts believe that a disruption in the area can force oil prices to go sky high and this will have a major negative effect on the world's economy. All we can hope for is those men and women serving the US in the field whether on land or sea, to be safe and return to their families in one piece. As far as Bahrain goes, yes we do have a massive US base here but they protect their own interests while Bahrain turns to its neighbours for political aid not the US. The best way to enjoy life is try your best to stay away from politicians and their stories. Nothing but bad news comes from them anyway but that's just my own opinion.

DrydenSRT- thanks for the suggestion. Got any links or audio clips? I will consider that as an option if the sound is similar but for now, the more I try to sort it out with failed attempts, the more curious I become and just want to get to the bottom of it.

06ssmc - It costs $8 over here to seal exhaust leaks. Labor and prices are fine, time on the other hand isn't. I wouldn't get a new system unless I am 100% certain that there is nothing I can do to fix it. That's pretty much cause shipping can cost anywhere between $500-700 to ship abroad (if I am not mistaken). It's just a hassle. So for now I am just gathering great advice and looking for solutions. Time to make that call now to zoomers for suggestions.

Thank you all again

1 - 20 of 30 Posts