Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone my son and I are not seeing eye to eye on what I should do. He wants me to get a black challenger and I want Header Orange. He will loose on that one but help me decide on Zoomers vs Borla exhaust. I am looking for old school beast sound. Which exhaust wins the race before it ever is started lol?? thanks:fight:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Borla on mine for a year, still sounds better every day. But glad I didn't install it myself.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey everyone my son and I are not seeing eye to eye on what I should do. He wants me to get a black challenger and I want Header Orange. He will loose on that one but help me decide on Zoomers vs Borla exhaust. I am looking for old school beast sound. Which exhaust wins the race before it ever is started lol?? thanks:fight:
Neither try Flowmaster. Zoomers are awesome but it achieves the sound of a modern day race car. Borla on the other hand has more of a retro sound. If I had to choose between these two I would choose Borla.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Borla on mine for a year, still sounds better every day. But glad I didn't install it myself.
I'm curious on how loud they compare and how they compare under full throttle. As far as installing my son works for a shop in Wichita Ks (Sutton Race Engineering)so I'll leave the nuckle bleeding all to him :)

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Borla on mine too. Sounds awesome and looks great too. The Borla is extremely high quality so its a bit more expensive. I do have a bit of cabin drone at times but nothing like my Olds 442 that I had back in the 70's.

Now about that header orange.......I love my hemi orange but everytime I see a black Challenger......man I don't know what to say. This car just looks awesome in Black.....not that the HO looks bad.......:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Neither try Flowmaster. Zoomers are awesome but it achieves the sound of a modern day race car. Borla on the other hand has more of a retro sound. If I had to choose between these two I would choose Borla.
Exactly. I have the Borla exhaust and it definately sounds like a muscle car. Fit and finish are excellent, and the exhaust tips are some of the best on our cars. Mine is the X-pipe version so it's mellower, which makes for a great daily driver. Not loud and overbearing, but can tell that it's not stock. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Borla on mine too. Sounds awesome and looks great too. The Borla is extremely high quality so its a bit more expensive. I do have a bit of cabin drone at times but nothing like my Olds 442 that I had back in the 70's.

Now about that header orange.......I love my hemi orange but everytime I see a black Challenger......man I don't know what to say. This car just looks awesome in Black.....not that the HO looks bad.......:bigthumb:

Wow love the pic of your car!! Wish the 2012 had a White strip option. So far Borla or should I say my son is winning lol

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Wow love the pic of your car!! Wish the 2012 had a White strip option. So far Borla or should I say my son is winning lol
Mine is a 2009 and didn't have the white stripe option either. Its an exterior mod I did a few months ago. Thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
531 Posts
ZOOMERS!! Zoomers! Don't leave it to a vote. You'll need to listen...but I say Zoomers hands down. Quality is every bit as good as Borla too IMO. As for sound, I think nothing compares to the Zoomers. Check out my thread "Life with Zoomers" in this bolt on section for more in depth description. My dad wasn't always right...but you are right about the Zoomers!

·
Registered
531 Posts
To me, the way you are describing Zoomers is what I'd say about Corsa...and what you saying about Borla, I would say about Zoomers. I've heard nothing as retro as the Zoomers on a modern car. That deep deep bass rumble. Throatiest sound ever! I guess this stuff is crazy subjective. Op'll have to listen for himself.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To me, the way you are describing Zoomers is what I'd say about Corsa...and what you saying about Borla, I would say about Zoomers. I've heard nothing as retro as the Zoomers on a modern car. That deep deep bass rumble. Throatiest sound ever! I guess this stuff is crazy subjective. Op'll have to listen for himself.
Sure wish I was in an area to here both exhaust systems for sure. My son has a friend with a 6.1 with Borla exhaust that I may get to listen to in Wichita Ks this weekend :)
Any Zoomers guys around the Wichita area willing to let me take a listen to your car?? lol thats wishful thinking

·
Registered
382 Posts
Don't get me wrong here zoomers are awesome with state of the art fit and finish but in my opinion it does not have that muscle car voice. Corsa and Zoomers are very close in sound in my opinion once again. While in the throttle heavy at 3500 rpm Zoomers sounds loud but not throaty like Borla or Flowmasters. Zoomers are louder then both flowmasters and borla with a more high pitch reviving sound but Flowmasters and Borla achieve that true muscle car tone to perfection, not as loud but far better tone to me.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Out of all the clips out there, I think this one most accurately depicts the sound of Borla. It's very deep tone, and has an awesome rumble. Those two qualities I think should be at the top of the list for a car like ours. You can hear the rumble good at the beginning when he gets off the gas after a rev. Not a very loud exhaust, but the tone of the sound is perfect. A Challenger that is too loud just attracts more unwanted attention such as the po-po and idiots in ricers and Mustangs wanting to race you.

I agree that Flowmaster is also an awesome sound, and is so good that people use them for all sorts of cars. They do sound best on a V8. :pimp:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Zoomers!!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Don't get me wrong here zoomers are awesome with state of the art fit and finish but in my opinion it does not have that muscle car voice. Corsa and Zoomers are very close in sound in my opinion once again. While in the throttle heavy at 3500 rpm Zoomers sounds loud but not throaty like Borla or Flowmasters. Zoomers are louder then both flowmasters and borla with a more high pitch reviving sound but Flowmasters and Borla achieve that true muscle car tone to perfection, not as loud but far better tone to me.
Tuck, this is perfect proof how different we hear and respond to sound. I would swear you have Zoomer and Corsa confused with each other, but I'm sure you don't and it's just the way our ears respond to different frequencies...For me personally Corsa and Zoomers are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Corsa being high-pitched (which i dont like myself, although great quality product and some love the sound) and Zoomers being the deepest, lowest, throatiest, rumbliest of the bunch with Solo, Flowmaster, MBRP, and Borla being somewhere in the middle which is also a very nice sound, tone. I agree Zoomers are louder, but mostly they are Fatter sounding due to the deep deep bass tone they produce. They are not obnoxiously loud by any means IMO.

Out of all the clips out there, I think this one most accurately depicts the sound of Borla. It's very deep tone, and has an awesome rumble. Those two qualities I think should be at the top of the list for a car like ours. You can hear the rumble good at the beginning when he gets off the gas after a rev. Not a very loud exhaust, but the tone of the sound is perfect. A Challenger that is too loud just attracts more unwanted attention such as the po-po and idiots in ricers and Mustangs wanting to race you.

YouTube - ‪Dodge Challenger SRT8 Borla Exhaust‬‏

I agree that Flowmaster is also an awesome sound, and is so good that people use them for all sorts of cars. They do sound best on a V8. :pimp:
That vid sounds pretty good. Here's one I shot of my Zoomers. It is nowhere near as comprehensive as the Borla vid, but I think it highlights how much deeper toned the Zoomers are. They are louder, but again not obnoxiously loud. They have a mellow deep tone. The sound they make at idle is by far my favorite. Under load they only get sweeter and I only get thumbs up from people passing by which show me they are not TOO loud. I've also had my wife drive around while I listened from the sidewalk just to check and they were very easy to listen to at any normal speed. ANY car, even a Volvo, at WOT is going to get negative attention on neighborhood streets.

Anyone who listens to these clips should listen with earphones as it will do a better job of capturing the deeper tones of both the Borla and Zoomers that you would hear in person...

Zoomers!!!

Amen to that brother!

For the op, here's a link to a couple comparrisons and my review...

Zoomers vs Solo Performance Mach X-3 vs Corsa Extreme - Lx Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum

Challenger Exhaust Guide | Challenger Nut

Here's my review...

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/life-zoomers-58478/

I looked pretty hard before choosing Zoomers and I've never been happier. Never found ANYONE who had them on their car that did not love them or replaced them with a different system.

·
Registered
382 Posts

YouTube - ‪Dodge Challenger SRT8 Borla Exhaust‬‏

This Vid perfectly describes my vision of a healthy Borla throaty sound. I will have a before and after Flowmaster exhaust note up here in a few days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
From all the exhausts I've listened too, the Zoomers have a great throaty idle sound, that is the deciding factor IMO. They all sound pretty great at throttle, but zoomers breaths like a demon just sitting there.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Which exhaust did you decide to go with, I'm curious. :browsmiley:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Zoomers!!

If you want muscle car sound this is it...hands down lowest rumble of the two with no drone...Zoomers w/ x-pipe and CAI

1 - 20 of 52 Posts