Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just trying to make the best decision on which exhaust to get. I really don't care about HP gains just the sound. So please give me some input as I know that they both will have a sell for the 4th of July!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you want it to sound like a true muscle car without drone go Zoomers...if you want your challenger to sound like a pickup w/ drone go with Flowmaster...Corsa Extreme is cool too...It was just too quite for my taste at idle...here's a vid of mine...and with your 6.4 it should sound even more beastly!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
My zoomer fanboy sense is tingling. Flowmaster won't make your challenger sound like a pickup, it will have it's own unique sound.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
zoomers vs flowmaster

My zoomer fanboy sense is tingling. Flowmaster won't make your challenger sound like a pickup, it will have it's own unique sound.
I don't know about "fanboy" haha...the guy asked for input and I gave my opinion...i prefer Zoomers to Flowmaster that's why I went with them...TO ME it has a more distinct sound...minus the drone but not quiet at idle like Corsa...MBRP is also good...and if you want to go REALLY loud SLP has a great setup...It all depends on what your looking for...and your tolerance levels for drone...almost anything is better than stock on these cars.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Drone

I would wait until folks make a true 6.4 exhaust vice something carried over from the 6.1. Because the 6.4 is a MDS motor it is going to sound different than the 6.1. You would be better going with a 5.7 MDS exhaust. The 6.1 and 6.4 claim they are 2.75" inch but when you crawl under your car with calipers you will find smaller sections of pipe. On the new 6.4 the ball for mounting the tips are 2.5" which is the same size as aftermarket 5.7's. If I was going to get an exhaust the only one I would like to have is a Corsa as they definately have done their homework in the acoustics department. However Corsa exhaust is priced through the roof. Jegs gets my money, 3" aluminized for ~$450. Probably has drone but I'm sure it will sound good and mount without trouble.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Zoomers all the way. I looked hard at all the brands and while they all offer a nice improvement (especially Solo, Flowmaster, and MBRP), nothing comes close to Zoomers IMO in terms of quality of sound. Deep rumble, zero drone, just awesome.

Here's a couple of reviews with vids and a good comparison site with vids of most brands. Headphones make a big difference when you listen.

reviews:

This review nailed it for me...

Zoomers vs Solo Performance Mach X-3 vs Corsa Extreme - Lx Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum

Here's my own experiance/review after I pulled the trigger.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/life-zoomers-58478/

here's some comparisons:

Challenger Exhaust Guide | Challenger Nut

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, I have been looking and I keep coming back to the Zoomers product. A couple of questions, is the X pipe worth the extra money? The manufacturer website seems to be pricier than what I have read about. What other sites sale them? I have looked and only found Jegs, which is still a good bit cheaper than Zoomers. Also, is this something that can be done yourself or is it advisable to pay a muffler shop to install? Thank you.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It all has to the with the motor. On my 5.0's you can only put flowmasters on them. I have never heard of all these different mufflers zoomers and zippers and bobs and carlos's. It was much simplier back then. They all have there distint music, look them up on youtube and see what you like best. I think the drone has something to do with the diameter of the pipes. I had 3inch all over my mustang from front to back and had no drone. Yes it was loud as h e ll. All I did was remove the rear resonator on my challenger and it drones like crazy lol. It drives my wife insane. Tried calling the different companies and they wont sell me just the muffler. Said if I just tried putting on the mufflers it would still drone. Makes no sense. So it has to do with either how the pipes on the catback are bent or size...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Adjustable exhaust note

I seen an exhaust system the other day on-line that used two mufflers each with a single inlet and a dual outlet. One of the outlets they used a capped j-bend pipe and varied the length to adjust the sound. Anybody used or attempted this? It sounds like it would work.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Interesting idea. The only problem I see with that is you would not want the mufflers mounted under the middle of the car. It is my guess that the drone issue magnifys itself as the sound travels down the tail pipe. If these mufflers were mounted at the rear near the exhaust tips then I would say it has a pretty good chance of working.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Zoomers

So, I have been looking and I keep coming back to the Zoomers product. A couple of questions, is the X pipe worth the extra money? The manufacturer website seems to be pricier than what I have read about. What other sites sale them? I have looked and only found Jegs, which is still a good bit cheaper than Zoomers. Also, is this something that can be done yourself or is it advisable to pay a muffler shop to install? Thank you.
I thinks so...It improves sound...and helps to minimize drone...when I ordered my system directly from Zoomers they gave me a discount equal to JEGS's price...I had my dealership do the install before I even drove my car off the lot...did have to go back once to have it tightened a week later...since then no issues...half of the fun driving the car is listening to the roar coming out the back!...do it it's worth it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The X pipe is worth it IMO. For price I'd call Frank at Zoomers directly and just talk to him. He gave me a great price over the phone. See if he can do anything. Mention the forum. Sometimes he has group buys going on. Otherwise Speedlogix carries them. If you have a lift and tools, install takes an hour. Very straight forward bolt on. Fits like a glove. That said, I watched Frank do it and I'm glad I left it to a pro, but that's just my personal skill/comfort level. If you are in SoCal, Frank will do the install for free as well. Zoomers rock! You will love them!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The X pipe is worth it IMO. For price I'd call Frank at Zoomers directly and just talk to him. He gave me a great price over the phone. See if he can do anything. Mention the forum. Sometimes he has group buys going on. Otherwise Speedlogix carries them. If you have a lift and tools, install takes an hour. Very straight forward bolt on. Fits like a glove. That said, I watched Frank do it and I'm glad I left it to a pro, but that's just my personal skill/comfort level. If you are in SoCal, Frank will do the install for free as well. Zoomers rock! You will love them!
I looked out on the Speedlogix site, but didn't find Zoomers. However, they have a system labeled as Cragar that looks like Zoomers.
Cragar Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust System 08-11 Challenger SRT8 6.1, 6.4L
Either its the wrong picture or the wrong label.

·
Registered
291 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts