Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was looking for the definitive answer but am still confused which is correct.

The first time the dealer did an oil change they put in what must have been the full 7 qts because it was quite a bit over the full line on the dipstick.

The second time I spoke with the tech & explained what previously happened. I asked him to put in 6.5 qts & give me the remaining .5 qt. It took awhile to convince him that I knew how to top off & add oil if needed. He agreed. I checked the dipstick the next morning when cold & it was right on the full line. I also checked it when hot & sitting for a few minutes & it was still on the full line.

One posting states the engineers say the Hemi can be safely run on 6 to 8 qts. Another posting states the engineers say to trust your dipstick. Does anyone know if there's any service bulletin that addresses this issue?

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
Follow the maintenance schedule and capacities in your manual.

It states 7 quarts with a filter change.

The manual is the FCA "Bible". They designed the car, build the car, publish the maintenance specs, and give the owner a warranty based on the owner following these specs.

No need to overthink it.

·
Super Moderator
12,548 Posts
It's 7 quarts

A Guy

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Manual also says "Maintain the oil level in the “SAFE” range" and "Overfilling or underfilling the crankcase will cause aeration or loss of oil pressure. This could damage your engine."

Which part of the manual am I supposed to follow?
Use 7 quarts or don't overfill?

·
Super Moderator
12,548 Posts
7 quarts should not overfill. If all the old oil is drained, then 7 quarts should be the correct level

A Guy

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first time I did see the tech with 7 yellow bottles of Pennzoil. I suppose he could have gone back & got another bottle, but I was charged for 7 qts.

One thought is he did not let the car sit long enough to make sure all (or most all) oil drained out.

The 2nd oil change was done by a different tech, the one that I asked to use only 6.5 qts. That brought the level right to the full line. That would sort of indicate he didn't let all the oil drain out either, presuming it does take 7 qts.

It's possible they're putting the drain plug back in too soon. But a half quart is quite a bit to be left behind. Maybe the car has to be lifted at a slight angle to drain the oil completely. I don't know.

The car is due for an oil change shortly so I thought better look into the situation. I used to do all my own oil changes & never took the car to the dealer. But I'm not as flexible as I used to be so now pay to have it done. Otherwise I'd do it & let the car sit there a long time to make sure all the oil got drained.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I was looking for the definitive answer but am still confused which is correct.

The first time the dealer did an oil change they put in what must have been the full 7 qts because it was quite a bit over the full line on the dipstick.

The second time I spoke with the tech & explained what previously happened. I asked him to put in 6.5 qts & give me the remaining .5 qt. It took awhile to convince him that I knew how to top off & add oil if needed. He agreed. I checked the dipstick the next morning when cold & it was right on the full line. I also checked it when hot & sitting for a few minutes & it was still on the full line.

One posting states the engineers say the Hemi can be safely run on 6 to 8 qts. Another posting states the engineers say to trust your dipstick. Does anyone know if there's any service bulletin that addresses this issue?
Let's be clear here, the SRT engineers said they did extensive testing on the 6.1, and ran it hard both 2 quarts low(5) and one overfull (8) and said they had no issues. I do not know if they did this for the 392.

Also, they said to trust your dipstick, which will read about just right after using 6.5-6.6 quarts based on my experience.

Fortunately for us there appears to be quite a bit of safe "gray" area on this one...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The first time I did see the tech with 7 yellow bottles of Pennzoil. I suppose he could have gone back & got another bottle, but I was charged for 7 qts.

One thought is he did not let the car sit long enough to make sure all (or most all) oil drained out.

The 2nd oil change was done by a different tech, the one that I asked to use only 6.5 qts. That brought the level right to the full line. That would sort of indicate he didn't let all the oil drain out either, presuming it does take 7 qts.

It's possible they're putting the drain plug back in too soon. But a half quart is quite a bit to be left behind. Maybe the car has to be lifted at a slight angle to drain the oil completely. I don't know.

The car is due for an oil change shortly so I thought better look into the situation. I used to do all my own oil changes & never took the car to the dealer. But I'm not as flexible as I used to be so now pay to have it done. Otherwise I'd do it & let the car sit there a long time to make sure all the oil got drained.
Never drained the oil from my Scat Pack's engine nor have I (yet) drained the oil from my Hellcat engine. But I've drained the oil from a number of other engines over the years.

As long as the oil is up to temperature the oil drain time of 20 minutes (at least this is the oil drain time given for both my Boxster engine and my Turbo engine) is plenty of time. Even if I cut this short no way there would be half a quart of oil left to drain unless I put the drain plug back in while oil was still flowing from the drain hole.

The engine is designed to encourage the flow of oil to the pan. This when the engine is running or off.

My Hellcat owner manual says the "best" time to check the oil is 5 minutes after the hot engine has been shut off. This suggests that most (really all) of the oil is in the pan and one is not likely to over fill the engine if the oil level is found low when checking the oil level at this time and adding oil. If it only takes the hot oil 5 minutes to reach the pan it is hard to believe it would take the oil more than 5 minutes to drain out a hole in the bottom of the oil pan.

When I have my Hellcat in for an oil change I bring the car in with the engine up to temperature. The car is moved into the service bay within 15 minutes or so. The oil is still plenty hot. I get the car back about 45 minutes later.

After settling up I walk out to the car and check the oil level. I know the oil is hot maybe not as hot as it was when I brought the car into but still up to a good temperature. The car has sat for at least 5 minutes. I look primarily for too little oil or too much oil but the oil level so far has been as best I can tell with that terrible oil "dipstick" and its blob of a tip at the full mark.

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
The Manual also says "Maintain the oil level in the “SAFE” range" and "Overfilling or underfilling the crankcase will cause aeration or loss of oil pressure. This could damage your engine."

Which part of the manual am I supposed to follow?
Use 7 quarts or don't overfill?

You're still overthinking this.

Manual states 7 quarts with filter. Read the dipstick. If it reads over the "full" mark, oh well, that's what a lot of folks are commenting about, but you followed the manual by using 7 quarts with a filter.

If the oil level gets to the "add" mark, add a quart, and read the dipstick.

In reality, your engine should never get near the add level in 6k miles, unless there's a leak or you have a real oil burner.

Now, if you have an oil related engine issue, and the oil level is below the add mark, you'll probably have the dealer stating that you've run the engine low on oil, and that will be a major problem with warranty coverage.

Bottom line, the dipstick is hard to read. OK, it sucks. Just keep the oil level above the add mark.

Hint. Use 7 quarts with a filter, keep an eye on it, quit worrying, and move on to enjoying your ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No overthinking at all.

In all my years of driving & racing when I was younger, you never overfilled the oil pan because that might cause aeration of the oil. You might even install an aftermarket windage tray to prevent aeration.

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
No overthinking at all.

In all my years of driving & racing when I was younger, you never overfilled the oil pan because that might cause aeration of the oil. You might even install an aftermarket windage tray to prevent aeration.
Ok.

FYI, the 392's have a factory windage tray. It's part of the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Come on people.......given the volume of .5 quarts (16 ozs.) or .4 quarts (12.8 ozs.) AND the size of the oil pan (length and width)......just how much of a rise in oil level would there be?

There’s this nitwit over on TDR. The 6.7L Cummins diesel holds 12 quarts. He will never put in ANY more than 11 quarts 24 ozs......and I’m not making this up.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Come on people.......given the volume of .5 quarts (16 ozs.) or .4 quarts (12.8 ozs.) AND the size of the oil pan (length and width)......just how much of a rise in oil level would there be?

There’s this nitwit over on TDR. The 6.7L Cummins diesel holds 12 quarts. He will never put in ANY more than 11 quarts 24 ozs......and I’m not making this up.
It is not the oil level in the pan when the car is stationary it is the oil level when the oil in the pan is subjected to g-forces.

While stationary "too" much oil may not bring the oil level above the windage tray under some driving conditions the oil can top the tray and likely the crankshaft runs pretty darn close to the tray and could whip the oil up.

Added: Even so this doesn't justify the 6.7l Cummins diesel owner who refuses to put the full 12 quarts of oil in the engine.

·
Registered
375 Posts
man it is beyond me why this is so much trouble lol, bottom line, the manufacturer calls for 7qts, drain all the oil, and add 7 ****ing quarts, if you're above or below the full mark on the dipstick, so be it! I've changed my oil twice now, guess what, after adding the 7qts, I'm slightly over the full mark, that's my guide line I go with, this isn't rocket science! you could take 10 different 392's for instance and I'd bet 6 of them would read different oil levels with the same amount of oil added, there are simply too many variances from car to car with the dipstick and the tube it goes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
man it is beyond me why this is so much trouble lol, bottom line, the manufacturer calls for 7qts, drain all the oil, and add 7 ****ing quarts, if you're above or below the full mark on the dipstick, so be it! I've changed my oil twice now, guess what, after adding the 7qts, I'm slightly over the full mark, that's my guide line I go with, this isn't rocket science! you could take 10 different 392's for instance and I'd bet 6 of them would read different oil levels with the same amount of oil added, there are simply too many variances from car to car with the dipstick and the tube it goes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To some extent agree with you. Were I to change the oil in my Hellcat I'd just drain the oil hot, let it drain until the oil leaving the drain hole was a very slow drip -- probably a 20 minute drain interval -- then prefill the new oil filter with oil and install the filter then dump 7 quarts (minus the fraction of a quart used to prefill the new oil filter) into the engine.

I would then check the dipstick to determine where the oil level was on the dipstick just to ensure the level wasn't way off, that I miscounted the bottles of oil and only added 6 rather than 7.

Then, as is or has been my custom with other cars is I would start the engine and let the already warmed up engine idle a few minutes to bring the oil up to something close to operating temperature then shut off the engine and clean up, put away tools, etc.

After the engine had been off some minutes -- 5 or more -- then I'd check the oil and establish my reference. A bit above the full mark wouldn't bother me. A bit below might. I'm in the camp of liking to run the oil level at the full/max mark rather than down a bit so I'd add oil to bring the level up to the full mark.

But I wouldn't sweat a bit over as long as I was sure I added 7 quarts of oil. I'm not sure what the tolerance is for the installation/fitting of the dipstick tube, its length, etc. One would hope the values would be such there was not be any significant variation but...

The factory has to be a bit strict regarding the oil level and caution against overfilling. If it didn't then it would have to define what's an acceptable level of overfill and what is not. It already has that with the high and low or max and min marks.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
@Rockster

You left out draining the oil cooler. :geek:
My post wasn't intended to be that detailed, but I would follow whatever the factory documentation had to say on this subject and I'm pretty sure it calls for draining the oil cooler. This is based on reports by those who have observed this oil drain process at dealers.

Speaking of factory documentation before I did an oil change of my Hellcat I'd obtain in hard copy or digital format the factory service/repair manuals. I have had these for most of my previous vehicles and prefer to have the service manuals before servicing the vehicles myself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does the 2018 Scat Pack 6.4L have a separate oil cooler? The one I've seen pictures of is built into the oil filter base. Will this built in one drain when the filter is replaced, or is oil going to be trapped in it?

·
Registered
342 Posts
7 quarts brings it a touch over the full mark. No harm no foul. I would rather have as "little over" than a "little under" any day. Don't sweat it and don't lose sleep over it. At 21K mine burns zero oil and I drag race it. I always let it warm up to operating temp before driving.....and I always pull early oil changes. A little "love" goes a looooong ways.....

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
26 Participants
Solidman
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing