Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
On other cars I've frequently had it a touch over the full mark. But the first time the dealer did the 6.4L it was pretty darn close to being a half quart too high. IOW the distance above the full line was about half the distance between the add line & the full line, which usually is a full quart.

The second time I asked to use just 6.5 quarts & give me the balance of the Pennzoil bottle. The bottle did have a half quart remaining & the oil on the dipstick was right on the full line. If they would have used all the oil it would have been a half quart too high.

The manual does say the capacity is 7 quarts, but it also says do not over fill. If the difference between add & full is one quart, that means being a half quart below full is right in the middle. Therefore using 6.5 quarts puts it in the middle if you choose to go by the 7 quart spec. If you were taking a trip & stopped for gas & checked the oil & it was at the full mark would you add a half quart?

·
Registered
344 Posts
On other cars I've frequently had it a touch over the full mark. But the first time the dealer did the 6.4L it was pretty darn close to being a half quart too high. IOW the distance above the full line was about half the distance between the add line & the full line, which usually is a full quart.

The second time I asked to use just 6.5 quarts & give me the balance of the Pennzoil bottle. The bottle did have a half quart remaining & the oil on the dipstick was right on the full line. If they would have used all the oil it would have been a half quart too high.

The manual does say the capacity is 7 quarts, but it also says do not over fill. If the difference between add & full is one quart, that means being a half quart below full is right in the middle. Therefore using 6.5 quarts puts it in the middle if you choose to go by the 7 quart spec. If you were taking a trip & stopped for gas & checked the oil & it was at the full mark would you add a half quart?
Red......as an old friend of mine used to say......."This is as clear as mud" ! lol You have a great point. In "gray areas" like this I always defer to a known standard. The manufacturer says their motor takes 7 quarts, so it gets 7 quarts. If there is a problem, it will show up way before the warranty ends..... and it's on them.

Dipsticks and accessories are frequently supplied by vendors. Through the years there are variances of where they etch the markings and total length.

Motors with small oil pans are really critical with the level. There is not much room so the crank can get submerged rather easily. These big Hemi's are pretty forgiving. I used to have an 87 Dodge Power Ram 4WD with a 318 and a 7 quart pan. 7 quarts would always put it over the full mark by about 3/8" of an inch or so. I ran it 23 years and it was flawless. Never had a problem or a leak. My 68' 440 was the same way with a 6 quart pan. Adding 6 quarts put it over as well. My 68' 318 was the same way with a 5 quart pan. My 392 is the same with 7 quarts. This is a trend and seems very normal with Mopars in my experience.

However....if it really bothers you.....take the Dealer to task. Ask for a different dip stick and tube. Do some measurements. Get their recommendation in writing so you are cleared.

Please keep us posted if you do.............Gene.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
26 Participants
Solidman
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing